Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
Re: To all my Northern Sailing Friends...

Hey it's full on winter here this weekend in Florida. Here in St. Pete we're supposed to have a high of 58 and 20-25kts on Friday. I might even have to bring a windbreaker on Sunday. It's a good thing we only have a couple days like this a year or I'd have to really consider moving it further south like to Panama or something....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2012

christyleigh is on a distinguished road

My winter song.... to the tune of "Jingle Bells" -

Winter Sucks, Winter Sucks, Winter Sucks so Much........

Ohhh ..... Yes...........

Altogether.... Now....................

Winter Sucks, Winter Sucks, Winter Sucks so Much.........................
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 12-21-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

St. Pete? I remember St. Pete. We used to take a skiff out to the old Sky Way bridge and cast net a tub of bait in its shadow then catch kings until we were too tired to reel the damned things in. We kept our boat in Everglades City before the Mackle Brothers bought Marco Island. You could stop on any oyster bar and sit with a knife and a six pack and have lunch. There were no racks of boats stored in every vacant lot from Naples to Tampa. I could go on but times change. Florida was attractive. Even with the DC3 air force , now helicopters, keeping the mosquitoes under control and having to keep an eye out for alligators while jogging in the cooler predawn hours, it was enjoyable.

I wouldn't trade the sailing grounds for the coast of Maine. I remember the seasons changed one night when the leaves fell off the live oaks. Fall is now my favorite season. September is not life threatening solar exposure but beautiful and clean. Now I camp beside a salmon river and fish. My skiing doesn't require a motorboat to pull me around. I raised my kids in Maine and they are better for it. Variety is not one of Florida's long suits. I can and do speak from experience. I tell people the Moes surgery scar on my nose is from being bitten in a bar fight not from skin cancer. Ha!

Enjoy it but don't expend any sympathy on us. If you would like to experience "The way life should be." Send me a pm and I will reserve a room at the inn and a berth on the boat for you and yours.

Thank you, Ha!

Hoping you have a great "winter?"

Down
Brent Swain likes this.

Last edited by downeast450; 12-21-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

A cold front passed thrugh Marathon, Florida last night, bringing with it high winds and bone chilling temperatures of 60 degrees. All the locals here are walking around with long trousers, sweaters and jackets on. Those from up north are decked out in shorts, sandles and short-sleeve shirts.

Cheers,

Gary
T37Chef and Brent Swain like this.
Old 12-21-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

We are going sailing New Years weekend regardless. Likely 35 degrees and huge cold rain drops. I am somewhat excited about it
jrd22 and downeast450 like this.
Old 12-21-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Three replies and not a single thank you from any of you!!!

Dissapointing, really.

Brian
Thank you, butt head.
jrd22, downeast450 and blutoyz like this.
Old 12-21-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Looks like snow not rain on our first day out, getting excited now

Old 12-21-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
Looks like snow not rain on our first day out, getting excited now

Good for you Kelly.... we're headed out for New Years eve overnight ourselves.. After all just about anyone can sail in January in warm sunshine...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-21-2012
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road

Hey Brian...

BITE ME!

Happy Holidays!
T37Chef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 12-21-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I dedicate this thread to all those scraping the snow off their sidewalks instead of eating it out of a cone, those with 14 layers of clothes on their body instead of in their drawers, those who have red noses instead of red shoulders, those with bubblers under their boats instead of in their hands, those with a dozen extension cords snaked throughout the cabin to heaters instead of fans, those who wear rubber boots instead of flipflops, those who put salt on their drives instead of on their margaritas, and those who have antifreeze in their tanks instead of water....

... our thoughts are with you. Better days are only six months away. The sun is still up there beyond the clouds. The annual Ice Age will retreat.

And remember, those of us in Florida are plying the waters to keep them aerated for you. We are fishing the docks and coasts to make sure its inhabitants do not become complacent before your return. We are snorkeling and diving the reefs to make sure the life of the sea is staying in good order for the day you can come out of your igloos. We are ever mixing margaritas and toasting you at sunset, tears in our eyes. We got your back, my friends, we got your back.

Personally, I think you guys and gals up there owe us a bit of thanks.

Your Floridian friend,

Brian

PS It is 78 here today...
And to those of you in Floriduuhh , up to your ears in regulations ,and bureaucracy, living under constant threat of the Coasties boarding you in the middle of the night , trashing your boat with impunity, after having marched you and your family to the foredeck at gun point, having to confine your anchoring to only those places where it is "Allowed" , a shrinking number of anchorages, having to sneak aboard like a fugitive ,into your own floating home , for fear of being discovered to have actually done as you please in your own home, fearful of taking a dump , and having to hold your aching bowels til after dark, for fear of the poop cops catching you, or having to smell the tropical effects on a holding tank, and having to pay freedom chips to get rid of it , it being an unwelcome guest waiting for you to pay ransom to get rid of it, and having to put bug screens in and slosh your self with toxic chemicals to avoid them, and living in fear of the crime there. You have our deepest sympathies.
I find it far easier to throw another free log on the fire than to deal with hurricanes, and the above mentioned problems. I could sail anywhere in the world, with no problems , but I cant think of any place I'd rather be than here in BC. South Pacific ? Tropical Islands? Been there, done that. No thanks ( for the moment)
No customs, no visas, they cant kick me out, I can stay as long as I please, and make a bureaucrats life miserable, if he gives me problems. Coasties here are not cops, and even cops need a search warrant before they are allowed aboard. Far more comfortable here.

Sure glad I'm not in Floriduhh !

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.