SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   To all my Northern Sailing Friends... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95107-all-my-northern-sailing-friends.html)

Cruisingdad 12-20-2012 10:51 AM

To all my Northern Sailing Friends...

I dedicate this thread to all those scraping the snow off their sidewalks instead of eating it out of a cone, those with 14 layers of clothes on their body instead of in their drawers, those who have red noses instead of red shoulders, those with bubblers under their boats instead of in their hands, those with a dozen extension cords snaked throughout the cabin to heaters instead of fans, those who wear rubber boots instead of flipflops, those who put salt on their drives instead of on their margaritas, and those who have antifreeze in their tanks instead of water....

... our thoughts are with you. Better days are only six months away. The sun is still up there beyond the clouds. The annual Ice Age will retreat.

And remember, those of us in Florida are plying the waters to keep them aerated for you. We are fishing the docks and coasts to make sure its inhabitants do not become complacent before your return. We are snorkeling and diving the reefs to make sure the life of the sea is staying in good order for the day you can come out of your igloos. We are ever mixing margaritas and toasting you at sunset, tears in our eyes. We got your back, my friends, we got your back.

Personally, I think you guys and gals up there owe us a bit of thanks.

Your Floridian friend,

Brian

PS It is 78 here today...

jrd22 12-20-2012 10:55 AM

Re: To all my Northern Sailing Friends...

There's a special place for people like you Brian, and I'm not talkin bout FL. :-))

sailortjk1 12-20-2012 11:00 AM

Was that really necessary?
FYI, I could not live in a climate where it is always Hot. I enjoy the change of seasons. To each his own I guess. We sail a hell of a lot between April and November. Than the rest of the year it's "Honey Do" list time. Nothing wrong with putting your boat in dry dock, it prolongs the life of everything. +++ No freaking salt where I sail. If you want to take a bath you simply jump in. :) :)
You make it sound like living North of the Mason Dixon is a bad thing. It's not so bad.
I am going sailing next week.

Cruisingdad 12-20-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 964681)
There's a special place for people like you Brian, and I'm not talkin bout FL. :-))

Hey, I'm not opposed to taking a bit of pain like my northern friends. For example, I fly into Portland next Thursday at 1000 pm. I fly back out the next day at 1 pm. Who am I not to share in your difficulties? We are all in this together.

Brian

Cruisingdad 12-20-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailortjk1 (Post 964684)
Was that really necessary?
FYI, I could not live in a climate where it is always Hot. I enjoy the change of seasons. To each his own I guess. We sail a hell of a lot between April and November. Than the rest of the year it's "Honey Do" list time. Nothing wrong with putting your boat in dry dock, it prolongs the life of everything. +++ No freaking salt where I sail. If you want to take a bath you simply jump in. :) :)
You make it sound like living North of the Mason Dixon is a bad thing. It's not so bad.
I am going sailing next week.

I'm going sailing today... (snicker)

Plus, we get a change of season too. It is called Snow Bird Season and Tourist Season.

Brian

chef2sail 12-20-2012 11:13 AM

Emjoy the mosquitos, palmetto bugs, love bugs, alligators, humidity and hurricanes. Thanks for sharing

Cruisingdad 12-20-2012 11:15 AM

Three replies and not a single thank you from any of you!!!

Dissapointing, really.

Brian

steve77 12-20-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 964700)
Three replies and not a single thank you from any of you!!!

Dissapointing, really.

Brian

I'm actually jealous of the one who are snowed in. Here in the Boston area all we have is cold and rain. Haven't seen a serious looking snowflake yet.

blutoyz 12-20-2012 11:19 AM

I don't really know you as I am new on here but ....

I hate you and the warm water you sail in...;)

bljones 12-20-2012 11:21 AM

While you are down there gloating, i am up here enjoying another season that isn't causing any UV damage to my inflatable and canvas, appreciating that I can always warm up without running a generator, unlike Florida folk who can't survive without AC, repairing and building boat stuff without losing any sailing weather, not having to explain Christmas carols to my kids ("dad, what is an open fire? what is a snow man? what are sleigh bells?")...
and when it gets to 52 degrees in january we're rejoicing and putting on shorts.
When it gets DOWN to 52 degrees in Florida, you're wishing you had the winter clothing we just took off.

Perspective. It's a wonderful thing. ;)