Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Rough cost to convert tiller to wheel

If you havent bought a boat yet then you would be cracked in the scone to buy one which you need to make a major modification. There are zillions of boats that fit your neds and budget in the USA so it would only be laziness neglecting to find the one that better suits.

On to the tiller vs wheel for cruising. I much prefer a wheel than a tiller and would not have a tiller on a cruising boat. Its not really a technical thing, its a thing thing... It gives the feel of a boat of substance where a tiller gives the feel of smallness. Sure that may just be a kinesthetic thing, but its why we make many decisions... Its got to feel right. (Its one of the reasons why cars that resemble rice grains on wheels dont sell as well as "proper"cars..... till the fuel price is so high we are forced).
If your boat is to be your home you need to love it.

The internet image search shows most Tartan 34c's to have wheeels, so you cant be looking hard enough. But i do note, as others have, that theres no cockpit room with the wheel. Even with the tiller there is stuff all cockpit room!
See the attached photo. To get throm aft the wheel to the rest of the cockpit you can not step around the wheel you gotta step up onto the seat then back down. The Fun Police would shoot that after a while. If you have young kids it could become a safety thing at sea.

Maybe you are looking at the totally wrong sort of boat? Is a narrow boat going to be the thing with a couple? Where do you go to have a meter or two of space?
I know that Tartan is meant to be a real yachtnand none others exist, but have you let the fairer half of your relationship have a look at more modern design boats? 50 year old design is not 50 years young, its 50 years old. It would be the only appliance, mechanical, electrical, moving, fixed etc you have ever owned to be so old.
It sails on its ear, into the wind it sails on a 30 degree+ heal in light weather which might be fine for guys, but girls? Modern boats do it at 15 degrees unless v heavy weather.

The good feeling you want from your new boat is many, many things. The looking and the buying is both fun and frustrating. But one thing I know: Your perfect boat is out there. You just need to ensure you find the real one.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Rough cost to convert tiller to wheel-image.jpg  

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 12-23-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

That is a good point that Mark is making. My A35 is the same way. These old, narrow hulls are very tender. I like the feeling of cutting through waves, boat heeled over with the gunwale in the water but some people get majorly freaked out and uncomfortable when they have to function with everything atilt.
Old 12-23-2012

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Right, it was in amazing condition though
tartan 34 sailboat in Sailboats | eBay Motors

I think I will follow the collective wisdom and keep looking!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2012

And what the hell is this boat, I can't even find that floor plan!
1985 Gib Sea 3 cabins 9.6 sailboat for sale in Outside United States

Latest blog post:
Old 12-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
And what the hell is this boat, I can't even find that floor plan!
1985 Gib Sea 3 cabins 9.6 sailboat for sale in Outside United States
These boats are typical French built (Builders were Gilbert, later under Dufour(?)) and I think a pretty decent build quality. Nicely finished as you can see. Tough to see from this pics but can't tell if this is an aft head boat or not, but it looks like twin aft doubles.

At 31 feet or so the layout may feel a bit tight, as many of the Euro boats of that era did, esp cramming so many 'cabins' into them. Layouts that worked well at 36+ were often stuffed into 30 and 32 footers with limited success. This is definitely a boat you'd have to visit in person to 'try on' for size, esp the berth lengths.

The other aspect for you to consider is that as a French built boat, importing it to the US will ding you another 9.5% duty on top of any taxes due. Perhaps not a deal killer but something you need to be aware of.

Probably a comfy cockpit with ramped coamings (nice for sitting to weather on a beat) One thing that jumped out at me from the pics is the sloped floor immediately in front of the galley stove.. sometimes that can be a problem for the galley slave depending on how far it extends from the stove front.

Pretty boat, though, and I expect it sails well enough. Not sure if these models came with iron keels or lead.. many French builders liked to use iron. (again, not necessarily a deal breaker, for some anyway...)

Canada's a nice place to visit this time of year....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-23-2012

It does seem amazing that they stuffed three cabins into 31'!!

Latest blog post:
Old 12-24-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
Based on your friends failed marriages you are now a relationship expert.
It's much easier to learn from the experiences of others ,than repeat them under cloud of self delusion and wishful thinking.
Old 12-24-2012

Gypsea is on a distinguished road
Rough cost to convert tiller to wheel

I have everything you would need: pedestal, wheel, linkage etc. i was going to do the same but changed my mind. Not because of the difficulty but, I've just grown too used to a tiller. I really don't think it would be that difficult at all. I would let everything go for 500 bucks plus shipping. Email me if you're interested.

Jeff of Gypsea
vtsailguy likes this.
Old 12-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Hey dont let the naysayers in here talk you out of a good boat. The 34 Tartans are good boats. Moderate displacement, not as tender as those who posted would have you beleive, Much better quality than similar year production boats in general. Having a wheel has been discussed. If you are going to do any type of sailng/ cruising its easier and less tiring. Also get the traveler out of the cockpit if you want room there. The 80s Tartans have much more room back where the wheel and tiler is and are T shaped cockpits vs the 70 benches.

Cost of replacing tiller with wheel will not run more than $1500 for materials if you go used and with the huge number of Sandy boats finding parts should be easy. $10,000 is ridiculous as a yard can do this in 8 hours.This is not a very hard project. I have done it twice on older boats. NOt hard to adjust. Involves a couple pulleys,quadrant, pedetal base which will come almost pre done.

Advice to get a boat which has no majopr projects in your price and footage needs will be tough. Find the boat you like in good condition and thern make the improvments and upgrades.

If you need further info feel free to PM me.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-24-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Brent, when some, whom you do not know, asks how much something will cost you don't tell them to get a divorce.