SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rough cost to convert tiller to wheel

11K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  arf145 
#1 ·
I am looking at a tartan 34c with a tiller. My better half wants to convert this to a wheel. What kind of cost might I be looking at?

Thanks muchly in advance!

#38 ·
I have everything you would need: pedestal, wheel, linkage etc. i was going to do the same but changed my mind. Not because of the difficulty but, I've just grown too used to a tiller. I really don't think it would be that difficult at all. I would let everything go for 500 bucks plus shipping. Email me if you're interested.

Jeff of Gypsea

#39 ·
Hey dont let the naysayers in here talk you out of a good boat. The 34 Tartans are good boats. Moderate displacement, not as tender as those who posted would have you beleive, Much better quality than similar year production boats in general. Having a wheel has been discussed. If you are going to do any type of sailng/ cruising its easier and less tiring. Also get the traveler out of the cockpit if you want room there. The 80s Tartans have much more room back where the wheel and tiler is and are T shaped cockpits vs the 70 benches.

Cost of replacing tiller with wheel will not run more than $1500 for materials if you go used and with the huge number of Sandy boats finding parts should be easy. $10,000 is ridiculous as a yard can do this in 8 hours.This is not a very hard project. I have done it twice on older boats. NOt hard to adjust. Involves a couple pulleys,quadrant, pedetal base which will come almost pre done.

Advice to get a boat which has no majopr projects in your price and footage needs will be tough. Find the boat you like in good condition and thern make the improvments and upgrades.

If you need further info feel free to PM me.

Dave

#42 ·
I tried to pm you but, apparently, I'm not allowed yet as I don't have enough post? Everything I have was removed from a Morgan 33 out island. That's the same boat I have. The only issue I can see is the diameter of the rudder post. I'm not exactly sure what size this setup is for? I can measure it. But, it's Christmas so, let's enjoy and deal with this after Christmas.

Merry Christmas

Jeff of Gypsea

#44 · (Edited)
Just looked at the ad for the Tartan. Nice boat, and IMO a wheel would be a crime. However, I love the note in BIG RED FONT the seller posted saying he didn't want to entertain dreams of arm chair sailors who could only afford a dingy. And that he had invested almost the asking price (27+k) in the boat. A 40 year old, 34 foot boat with an A4, in this market? I think he might be confused about who is dreaming, and may be in for a lesson on "investing" in boats!
BTW: Not the newer light weight racing boat I imagined it was in an earlier post!

#52 ·
I much prefer having a tiller and would certainly not bother converting a T34C from a tiller to a wheel. There are plenty of them out there that already have a wheel and you will have plenty of other projects to deal with, so why create one?

For what it is worth, I have an S&S designed 34 footer from the same era. A wheel would take up a lot of space in the cockpit permanently. With the tiller, it takes up space while sailing but folds out of the way nicely when at anchor. I haven't sailed a T34C, but suspect that like most S&S designed boats they are well balanced, so the use of a tiller would not be an issue.

While I can see how one might feel differently about this for an offshore passage, if that is your plan on a regular basis I would expect that a wind vane and/or autopilot would be in use for much of the time. Incidentally, the same goes for a wheel too. Hand steering for days at a time would be tiring either way.

#53 ·
For gosh sakes. :eek: Whenever a thread comes up where someone inquires about a project like this, the "Tiller People" rise up like so many zombies and, ignoring much of what the OP has said, state that they like tillers, tillers are good, why don't you want a tiller? as if they and their tillers have been somehow threatened by someone wanting a wheel. Great, you tiller folks like your tillers--have an annual meeting about it. Bring your tillers :D Meanwhile, some like the wheel. Or in this case, the OP's wife wants a wheel. A perfectly fine reason to get a boat with a wheel. Conversion on that boat? Maybe not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.