Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring bouys

Bushwacker from St Thomas.
2 oz Baileys Irish Cream
1 oz Amaretto
1 oz Kahlua
small splash Vodka
small splash Grand Marnier
sprinkling Nutmeg
lots Ice
Fill blender 3/4 with ice (small cubes best).
Add a small splash of vodka, a small splash of Grand Marnier.
Add Kahlua & Amarreto. Fill the blender with Bailey's until liquid is 1/2 inch from top of ice cubes.Mix until smooth. Pour in hurricane glass and sprinkle some nutmeg on top!
downeast450 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Let's look at some of the pros of moorings:

1.They are a cheaper alternative for those of us who may not be able to afford a slip.
2. They actually open up more public access to the water, imagine if all of us on moorings suddenly needed a slip.
3. In busy anchorages they are better for the ecosystem of the sea floor.
4. In busy anchorages they allow for more boats with less swing room. Imagine if those moorings suddenly changed over to anchors, there would be even less room available.
5. A well maintained mooring is safer than an anchor.

The cons of moorings so far:
1. Transients who prefer to anchor are sometimes inconvenienced. They may even have to contribute a few dollars to the local economy.
chef2sail and Minnewaska like this.
Old 12-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyo7e View Post
.....I'm going to place a mooring 10 feet from his at a time when his boat is absent.

My mooring in this scenario is legal, but Chef is denied use of his.

Now what?
I know this is a hypothetical, but that would just make you a real jackwad.

In your scenario, you're not happy that Chef got to place a mooring, but presumably he hasn't violated any laws or regs. You're just not happy he beat you to it, so you go picking a fight. The civil approach is to see if the owner of the seabed (municipality) is willing to change the rules. If not, leave the moorings alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-29-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
It's a bit better lately, but around here we 'lost' a lot of decent anchorages, esp the one-or-two-boat coves to fish farms. Many have moved on but I wonder about what's on the bottom after they leave.

We also have a lot of historical boom grounds, now abandoned but it's always a crapshoot dropping a hook in those areas.. you could easily end up hooked on an old chain, a 100' length of steel cable, and old winch bed....
The "boom grounds" we don't have. The aquaculture pens we do. Anything biologically active they leave behind doesn't last long. Their anchors? Good point. I haven't considered that bit of fairly recent debris. They are required to move their gear when they leave. I don't know how closely that gets monitored. I expect the scrutiny is fairly acute along this coast. If for no other reason than the salvage value. Lobstermen and scallop draggers won't put up with a blind hazard like that in fishable ground.

I have needed to move a lobster trap after unwrapping its float from my rudder at my mooring. Sometimes I shorten the float line a bit with a couple of carefully tied knots. The fishermen fish the harbor and set among the moorings. If I find one tangled up with me I move it using my Avon before going aboard TD. Those fishing grounds overlap the mooring field. The 10 minutes it takes me to sort it out isn't a big deal. It is often a young fisherman getting started in the business who also lives in the harbor. There is never a problem. They do a good job avoiding other people's stuff while they make their living.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 12-29-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: content
Old 12-29-2012

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

This thread has degraded into redundant dribble because one or two individuals are rude enough to think that they can use someone's property without permission and then arrogant enough to try to defend it...foolishness.

Now I have to figure out how to unsubscribe...LOL
alturia likes this.
Old 12-29-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Whether the mooring is legal will depend on the local laws.

Whether you use personal property at your will...nope

You can anchor where you want, You cant confiscate personal property

Etiquette dictates you shouldn't but the law sometimes says different. Legality and morality aren't always intertwined.

I dont recall saying to confiscate anything. Use is not the same thing as confiscate. Also, I will say this again, I am not advocating anyone use anything that isn't theirs without permission. We are discussing the legality of it for everyone's knowledge and benefit. It's different from whats right or wrong, morally.
chef2sail likes this.
WORK IS OVER-RATED

Last edited by KIVALO; 12-29-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2012

delite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
When I asked the govt for a map of private water leases for moorings, they said "We dont give leases for private moorings."
So the seabed is public property for the use of everyone and putting out a mooring doesn't mean you have ownership or first use of it.
Climbing over someone's rail to physically dispute someone on your mooring, makes you a sitting duck, with both hands occupied.
Of course that is what the BC government will tell you because the mooring is a federal responsibility. Just because the provincial govt doesnt give a water lease for a mooring does not make it public property. The rules for mooring anchors in BC are abundantly clear that they can be privately owned without a water lease. Being a dick about it doesnt change the law and asking the wrong question is no defense.
Old 12-29-2012

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Remember - sailors and watermen are a community. If you decide to wreck someone's mooring by either vandalizing it or putting another one right next to it, you now have made enemies that have been there for longer and are there when you are not. You certainly would never be able to put a boat on it.
Old 12-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

As someone who would NOT consider using someone's mooring because it is not my property and added that it is a complete unknown quantity, IMO, there ought to be legally specified, equally good, free anchorage areas available for people who want to set a hook. I would like to see some lawsuits over damage incurred to boats because they were denied access to a safe anchorage packed with pay-for moorings. There must be other sailors like me who simply can't afford $40/night to sleep somewhere safe. Add it up, that's $1200/mo. while cruising---simply absurd for all but sailors with deep pockets. Municipalities need to back off hogging every square inch of good anchorage areas. I'm really surprised the USCG has permitted so much room to be glommed in "special anchorage" areas.
Faster likes this.
Old 12-29-2012

Coquina is on a distinguished road

In Annapolis the holding ground is poor and the anchorage exposed. Prior to the municipal moorings any time a sudden wind or storm came up it was a Chinese fire drill of dragging boats hitting other boats and breaking them loose. Outside of Annapolis there is no place I can think of on the Bay without plenty of space to anchor for free. My mooring certainly does not block anyone from anchoring nearby.