Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Mooring bouys

Specific places may have limited anchorage locations. If one lives on their boat and has the freedom to move around, I find it hard to believe one couldn't find anyplace to anchor. I'm trying to think of a single mooring field in my sailing grounds, where I couldn't drop a hook just outside of it. For that matter, there are no fully safe anchorages, so I can't see how a law suit would have any merit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
If the tackle fails, you did the owner a favour , by making sure it failed while his boat was not on it while he was ashore. A good shot of reverse gives it a good test.
Allowing greedy people to take over public anchorages unchallenged, barring others from using what is a public asset, is simply irresponsible.
It's not the individuals who set their own moorings who cause the problem. They will probably actually use them. It's yacht clubs and municipalities, often working hand in hand to block access to anyone not willing to fork over the fief. I don't think anyone really wants to use another's mooring or anchor so close that it makes the mooring unusable. The unused moorings that just seem to take up space are the issue. It seems like a problem in just certain places. Other spots have solved the issue by simply allocating space to anchor. A percentage of all anchorages should be allocated to anchoring and perhaps there should be a requirement that moorings be monitored by harbormasters so that moorings unused for X # of days in a season come off the count of legal moorings. Port Jeff harbor is another spot where there are so many moorings in back of the outer west bar that it has severely restricted anchoring in that popular spot. In the last few years, when stopping there, I have seen almost NO boats on those moorings.

Minne, I'm thinking of one: Inside the rocks at Fisher's Island. It used to be a great spot but is now completely filled with expensive-to-rent yacht club moorings. If you want to anchor there, you must go outside the rocks in open water which is untenable in a N-NW blow. Potter's Cove is another. If you want to anchor there, you have no choice but to crowd apparently unused mooring buoys.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-29-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
...Minne, I'm thinking of one: Inside the rocks at Fisher's Island. It used to be a great spot but is now completely filled with expensive-to-rent yacht club moorings. If you want to anchor there, you must go outside the rocks in open water which is untenable in a N-NW blow. Potter's Cove is another. If you want to anchor there, you have no choice but to crowd apparently unused mooring buoys.
I know both places very well and anchored in both this past summer. The outside anchorages at both have great holding and are enormous. Both would hold 100 boats and you wouldn't know you had a neighbor. With prevailing SW winds,both are also well protected. Fisher's would be a rough ride in a northerly, but the inner harbor wouldn't be so great in a northerly either. Potters inner harbor is well protected, particularly the northern part, but its also very shallow in spots. I would prefer to be outside. If winds at Potters are out of the north to east, then run around to the other side of the island and anchor in Jenny Cove instead. BTDT. Great holding too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-29-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seascene View Post
I cruise BC waters. In southern waters mooring bouys are ever increasing. This is a "what if"... you enter an anchorage and your only option is a lone mooring bouy available and you take it. What happens if the owner of the bouy arrives 03:00 knocks on your hull and asks you to leave?

... thanks...
Is the issue any less murky for you yet?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I know both places very well and anchored in both this past summer. The outside anchorages at both have great holding and are enormous. Both would hold 100 boats and you wouldn't know you had a neighbor. With prevailing SW winds,both are also well protected. Fisher's would be a rough ride in a northerly, but the inner harbor wouldn't be so great in a northerly either. Potters inner harbor is well protected, particularly the northern part, but its also very shallow in spots. I would prefer to be outside. If winds at Potters are out of the north to east, then run around to the other side of the island and anchor in Jenny Cove instead. BTDT. Great holding too.
We anchored outside of Potters Cove last summer...had no issues with a SW wind. Ill tell you however just acroos in Stonington there was no room to anchor with their huge morring field unless you stayed outside at the breakwater exposed. We took a mooring there.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
I was anchored in Potter's, just inside the bar during a wicked NE blow a couple of years ago, two anchors out, a no-sleeper. Was just me, one other sailboat and about 100 moorings. It was THE place to be although I was bumping into one of those damned unoccupied mooring balls occasionally. Newport had boats all over the place, a real fire drill according to one of the harbor police I talked to. Took a mooring there next day for a couple of nights. That storm came out of nowhere and blew 50+ gusts all night. Will have to try Jenny Cove. Thanks for the info. With a big tide surge, Potter's might top over the bar and so would not be too good a choice in a hurricane. Not sure where I'd go in Narragansett if a big storm was coming, would probably high tail it to New B.

Fisher's is a great spot. Been using that anchorage for many years. It's also a convenient fueling stop. (The watercolor in my "avatar" was from a photo taken last year. I'm sure you recognize Fisher's in the background.)

Speaking of storms, we now have 2+ feet of snow here in the Adirondacks from this storm and still snowing! Gotta keep repeating, "I like winter and would rather be here than on the boat in the Caribbean................":-)

Last edited by smurphny; 12-29-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
.....Not sure where I'd go in Narragansett if a big storm was coming, would probably high tail it to New B.
The two best hurricane holes in the Bay are Wickford on the Western shore and the Kickemuit River up by Bristol, known as the Kicky (although its hard to enter).

If its just a hard blow, there are many anchorages around the Bay that will put an island or land mass to windward and most are soft mud/sand.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We anchored outside of Potters Cove last summer...had no issues with a SW wind. Ill tell you however just acroos in Stonington there was no room to anchor with their huge morring field unless you stayed outside at the breakwater exposed. We took a mooring there.

dave
I think you meant that you anchored in West Harbor at Fisher's Island, which is sort of just across from Stonington.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
The two best hurricane holes in the Bay are Wickford on the Western shore and the Kickemuit River up by Bristol, known as the Kicky (although its hard to enter).

If its just a hard blow, there are many anchorages around the Bay that will put an island or land mass to windward and most are soft mud/sand.
The Kickmut R. looks like an excellent spot but Wickford looks shallow and crowded. Bristol might be ok but it's so crowded which is the case in much of The Narragansett. I worry about other boats in a blow more than anything else. In a powerful surge lots of moorings with inadequate scope tend to drag ashore and foul everything in their path. Going way up inside Pt. Jude would also be an option in the general area.
Old 12-29-2012

For a named storm, many of the moorings will be empty in Wickford. The Southern inner cove is way too tight and the Northern inner cove is indeed shallow, but there is room back there. Even behind the breakwater in the main harbor is pretty good.

Anything out of the south and Bristol is a disaster. There is plenty of room to anchor just south of the mooring field there.

Jeanneau 54DS