Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012

Coyo7e is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I know this is a hypothetical, but that would just make you a real jackwad.

In your scenario, you're not happy that Chef got to place a mooring, but presumably he hasn't violated any laws or regs. You're just not happy he beat you to it, so you go picking a fight. The civil approach is to see if the owner of the seabed (municipality) is willing to change the rules. If not, leave the moorings alone.
The point I hope to make with this hypothetical is, given the mooring regulations as I believe they stand in Maryland, the guy occupying precious swing room would be wiser to share, and to share happily and publicly.

Sure, on strict legal principles it's wrong for someone to to pick up and use his private property. But it's equally true that the mooring owner has appropriated public space for his own use. And on strict legal grounds, the Jackwad also has options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyo7e View Post
Sure, on strict legal principles it's wrong for someone to to pick up and use his private property. But it's equally true that the mooring owner has appropriated public space for his own use. And on strict legal grounds, the Jackwad also has options.
In our area legally placed moorings are allocated by the Harbormaster. The space is not "appropriated" by the mooring owner.

If there is a Town Harbor Plan in effect--at least here in CT--the Harbormaster (a creature of the State of CT)--is required to observe the Harbor Plan. The point of the Harbor Plan is like that of a Zoning Plan--to provide a set of considered policies in the public interest. An approved Harbor Plan has the force of an ordinance, where applicable.

The Harbor Plan allocates areas for commercial and private moorings and identifies a policy for assigning mooring permits, including a posted waiting list when the mooring field(s) are full. This means that moorings are allocated with consideration of the conditions of the mooring area and the type of boat on a first-come, first served basis.

This process works something like parking on a public street, but the difference is that the person who got there first not only occupies it at the time, but retains it on a reserved basis.

The intent is to provide for a safe, orderly anchorage tailored for boat swing and moderate storm conditions by the use of mooring tackle that is more substantial than typical cruising anchors.

In our area, we expect transients to use the designated transient anchorages--not the mooring fields, unless you are picking up an authorized rental mooring. Private moorings are not for rent.
Old 12-29-2012
gts1544

gts1544 is on a distinguished road

A question from a novice? I understand that when anchoring, you respect the previously anchored boat, first come. Does a vacant bouy get the same respect?
Old 12-29-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
A question from a novice? I understand that when anchoring, you respect the previously anchored boat, first come. Does a vacant bouy get the same respect?
Do you really want to foul a mooring buoy with your rudder, prop shaft, ... ?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
Yes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyo7e View Post
..... And on strict legal grounds, the Jackwad also has options.
What would those strict legal grounds be? Strict would imply you can cite something that references this?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I understand that people are frustrated over moorings being in place where they would prefer to anchor, or perhaps used to anchor. I don't love the fact that there is a housing development in the woods I used to hike in as a kid. But I don't get to walk through their backyards, pitch a tent and stay the night any longer and I don't suggest that I should.

One of our neighbors owned thousands of acres of land that he knew was commonly used like public property, but we technically had no claim to it. He just permitted our use of it until he decided to develop it. I will bet that most often these coveted anchorages are actually owned by a municipality you don't live in and one could argue that anchoring should only be available to their residents?? It would be ironic if that was the outcome of pushing on this too hard, wouldn't it?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I'm not really clear about the laws concerning "ownership" of the seabed. Is it federal law? State law? Local law? Who actually has the legal right to claim bottom rights? To issue permits for things like fish farms, or weir nets, or docks that intrude on waterways?

Last edited by smurphny; 12-30-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-30-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

This thread gives me the impression that venturing west of Portland, ME will include a contentious dimension I would rather not deal with. It can't be as big a problem as it seems from these replies? Can it? We plan our trips with care and don't find ourselves in difficulty when looking for a place to park. We haven't made it to the Jersey shore yet or into the Chesapeake Bay. Our anchors and gear are quite capable. We can't bring the space to deploy them along with us. The next trip we make to the Westerd may be inland to Lake Superior. Who needs a crowded anchorage full of ignorant, resentful boaters?

"Can't we all just get along?" RK

Down
Old 12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I'm not really clear about the laws concerning "ownership" of the seabed. Is it federal law? State law? Local law? Who actually has the legal right to claim bottom rights? To issue permits for things like fish farms, or weir nets, or docks that intrude on waterways?
Federal Law. The Submerged Lands Act of 1953 gave the rights to navigable waters out to three miles from shore to the individual States. Each State then handles that differently, but I believe most then pass ownership to the local municipality.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.