Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Mooring bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
This thread gives me the impression that venturing west of Portland, ME will include a contentious dimension I would rather not deal with. It can't be as big a problem as it seems from these replies? Can it? We plan our trips with care and don't find ourselves in difficulty when looking for a place to park. We haven't made it to the Jersey shore yet or into the Chesapeake Bay. Our anchors and gear are quite capable. We can't bring the space to deploy them along with us. The next trip we make to the Westerd may be inland to Lake Superior. Who needs a crowded anchorage full of ignorant, resentful boaters?

"Can't we all just get along?" RK

Down
Chesapeake has virtually no moorings except a few small creeks. Plenty of places to anchor all over the place with many small creeks and coves. It's unlike our northern neighbors in that regard.

Dave
smurphny likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Chesapeake has virtually no moorings except a few small creeks. Plenty of places to anchor all over the place with many small creeks and coves. It's unlike our northern neighbors in that regard.

Dave
I'm not really buying that its a problem here either. Even Newport, the busiest tourist port around, has a designated anchorage. All others I can think of have plenty of room to anchor around or just outside the mooring fields.

Ironically, in several, the really big dogs have no choice but to drop the hook outside, because of their draft.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-30-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
It's not the individuals who set their own moorings who cause the problem. They will probably actually use them.
Not necessarily... Every time I return to Maine, I'm seeing more and more "Destination Moorings" being placed by individuals in prime locations, apparently with little or no regulation whatsoever... A place like Perry Creek on Vinalhaven is a prime example, now choked with private moorings that might have been placed by some hedge fund manager from Boston with a summer vacation home in Camden, and used only on Saturdays thru the summer, or during the month of August...

Those Morris 42 "Weekenders", or Friendship 40 Faberge' Eggs aren't really meant to be anchored, after all... (grin)

Friends of mine in Maine tell me this phenomenon is becoming a serious annoyance... Perhaps Maine Sail or Down will weigh in on this...

This issue was raised in OCEAN NAVIGATOR a decade ago:

Are private moorings crowding Maine waters? - Ocean Navigator - January/February 2003

And here's Curtis Rindlaub's take on it from back then, I would guess his opinion has likely hardened a bit in the interim...

MAINE COAST: Cruising the Maine Coast => Vacant moorings
Old 12-30-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Well, I was going to river today to check on my mooring today. But the weather took a turn. I hate cold weaather.
Weather for Beaufort, SC

‎Clear 41°
‎Wind: NW at 13 mph
‎Humidity: 61% ‎high 52°
Old 12-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Not necessarily... Every time I return to Maine, I'm seeing more and more "Destination Moorings" being placed by individuals in prime locations, apparently with little or no regulation whatsoever... A place like Perry Creek on Vinalhaven is a prime example, now choked with private moorings that might have been placed by some hedge fund manager from Boston with a summer vacation home in Camden, and used only on Saturdays thru the summer, or during the month of August...

Those Morris 42 "Weekenders", or Friendship 40 Faberge' Eggs aren't really meant to be anchored, after all... (grin)

Friends of mine in Maine tell me this phenomenon is becoming a serious annoyance... Perhaps Maine Sail or Down will weigh in on this...

Are private moorings crowding Maine waters? - Ocean Navigator - January/February 2003

And here's Curtis Rindlaub's take on it from back then, I would guess his opinion has likely hardened a bit in the interim...

That's really disturbing. I didn't think it had gone that far. Never heard the "destination mooring" term. I can see all sorts of problems with those from clogging anchorages to a lot of junk being left for someone else to remove. That gets back to the question of who's in charge here? Sounds like there needs to be some clear federal regulations about percentages of anchorages that can be used for any specific use. If people want these destination moorings, maybe there should be an allotment. When it's full, it's full. I'm not usually a fan of regulation but this seems to be an issue where government could actually do something useful. Since people are crossing state borders and navigation/safety issues are involved it would have to come from the feds. Space can be allocated for these "destination" moorings, local boater moorings, military/le moorings, transient moorings, and unrestricted anchorage areas. This does not sound like brain surgery to accomplish.

What a beautiful boat!

Last edited by smurphny; 12-30-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-30-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Jon,

You are correct. "Summer moorings" are increasing. As the season gets busy the remaining spaces are coming under a proportionately increased amount of pressure as more transient boats show up. There are just more of us out there.

One of our rules of thumb is, "Sail to the Easterd after Memorial Day and to the Westerd after Labor Day."

Glad to learn things are not really that bleak West of Gloucester. Ha!

Down
Old 12-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Federal Law. The Submerged Lands Act of 1953 gave the rights to navigable waters out to three miles from shore to the individual States. Each State then handles that differently, but I believe most then pass ownership to the local municipality.
That seems to be not quite the case concerning "designated anchorages." These areas are all over the place. Some are military, some are commercial, some are "unrestricted." Locals did not have much to do with their boundaries. The issue is with safety and commerce which can't be left 100% to states. Am just wondering what the specifics are about anchoring in general and who actually has jurisdiction.
Old 12-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Well, I was going to river today to check on my mooring today. But the weather took a turn. I hate cold weaather.
Weather for Beaufort, SC

‎Clear 41°
‎Wind: NW at 13 mph
‎Humidity: 61% ‎high 52°
Well here we got 2 inches of snow...much more north of here. It's 28 with gusts to 35

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-30-2012

okawbow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Let's look at some of the pros of moorings:

1.They are a cheaper alternative for those of us who may not be able to afford a slip.
2. They actually open up more public access to the water, imagine if all of us on moorings suddenly needed a slip.
3. In busy anchorages they are better for the ecosystem of the sea floor.
4. In busy anchorages they allow for more boats with less swing room. Imagine if those moorings suddenly changed over to anchors, there would be even less room available.
5. A well maintained mooring is safer than an anchor.

The cons of moorings so far:
1. Transients who prefer to anchor are sometimes inconvenienced. They may even have to contribute a few dollars to the local economy.
So, you've saved for years to afford to cruise a while, and find that you can just do it; if you don't have to spend a lot of money every day just to tie up for the night. After all, the ocean belongs to all of us, right?

Let's look at the alternatives to anchoring. IF I can find a slip near where I want to stop; $3.00 - $4.00 per foot, per night! (I don't earn that much in one day.) How about renting a mooring for the night,($35.00) ? Call on the radio, "harbor master, harbor master, harbor master" any moorings available? "Sorry, all the rental moorings are taken. The rest are privately owned." Happened to us several times.

Anchoring is free. We will spend our available money anyway in the local economy, at stores, museums, food and entertainment.

For those thinking of cruising the same areas; I suggest you invest in good anchors and lots of chain.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 12-30-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Jon,

I agree 100% and detest "destination" moorings. I think many towns could do a better job of "qualifying" moorings at places like Long Cove, Perry Creek, The Goslings and many others.

The problem however is not an easy one, especially at areas like Perry Creek. At places like Monhegan we have the opposite problem. A solid granite bottom which precludes safe anchoring and ONE town mooring..... Monhegan could stand to have half the moorings from Perry Creek.

If you ask around most every mooring at Perry Creek is for "storms" for the locals. Yes some of them are owned by "summer folk" but during storms their boats are there with all the lobstermans boats. Sure some are "destination" moorings but they are well in the minority as I have been told locally.

They also never complain when people pick up those moorings and use them, unless they happen to be there. The Goslings have the same "unwritten" stance on using moorings.. Who am I to deny the Islanders of Northhaven & Vinalhaven the right to have a safe & known mooring for storms when they live on an island and depend upon their vessels for not only the food they put on the table but also for their connection to the mainland? Who am I to complain when the use of these moorings is not "disallowed" when the owners are not present. Who am I to compalin that with these moorings you can now often "fit" in Perry Creek because with 2:1 scope moorings a lot more boats can be packed in there. We minimized going to Perry Creek years ago, during prime season, because even with less moorings it was always PACKED with idiots trying to use 7:1 scope or being the only one bow/stern anchored (unless way up in the head of the harbor where it is necessary)... These "destination" cruising guide locations are the first ones to become obnoxious. Perhaps the bigger issue is the Cruising Guide calling out these "prime" locations.....

As for the Goslings I'd be happy to see every mooring in there get removed except for island property owners, like the Dugas family, or residents on the Harpswell neck who regularly move boats there in the fall for protection from the NW winds..

When we lived in Sunset Cove in Harpswell I had a legal and permitted storm mooring there. The Goslings were directly out our front window, a nice view. In the fall I would put my boat there in a NW blow and take the dinghy back across the bay. I could see our boat there from the living room window. Our home mooring was VERY exposed to the NW so as a Harpswell resident and tax payer I had no issue keeping a storm mooring there. I also had no qualms with people using it and had it clearly labeled as to chain and mushroom size so there were no "surprises". When I lived in Harpswell I was on the waterfront committee. I fought for "criteria" for non-resident "destination" moorings at both Quahog Bay and the Goslings. It fell on deaf ears, in the mid 90's, but I did what I could do as a resident, tax payer and waterfront committee member. One issue was that I was up against another member who was a mooring guy. he made a tidy business managing moorings at the Goslings and was about 10th generation Harpswell resident.... Small town politics...

When we moved across the bay to Cumberland I did the right thing and REMOVED our mooring from the Goslings because it would have made it a "destination mooring", something I strongly disagreed with then, and still disagree with now.. Occasionally when we go there we use the moorings of people we know, but often we still anchor. There is still plenty of room to anchor there despite all the moorings.

Even with all the "destination" moorings in Maine there are literally HUNDREDS of places to anchor. If you "must" go to a tourist trap "Cruising Guide" destination EXPECT a crowd even without destination moorings. Carver Cove and about 10 other PRIME locations (not Carvers Harbor) are just around the corner from Perry Creek. There is NO need to go to Perry Creek unless you want bugs or crowds and this has not changed because of the moorings... The moorings actually make more room in there and give more people more access. I still don't like the roughly 20% of them that are "destination" moorings but have no complaints for the locals who use them during storms or in the winter when we are not even there.

Recently a lobsterman on Vinalhaven placed a number of moorings in Long Cove. He rents them. I find this unnecessary but after asking around it seems he and his buddies all use these moorings in storms or let other locals who are "exposed" do so. I have used one and gladly put the money in the Coke bottle, because this like Perry Creek and some others, is a tricky one.

The Goslings are not as tricky. Only a few residents of Haprswell neck and the Dugas family and other island owners have "legitimate" reasons for having a mooring there.. Perhaps 90% of those moorings should ideally not be there and are "destination" moorings. Quahog Bay is also filling up as is the Basin.....

At Perry Creek perhaps 20% should not be there but this anchorage is managed by the residents of Vinalhaven, a tough lot, and I seriously doubt it will change. Could they make the permitting process tougher with more "justification" like "Is this a storm mooring for a resident of Vinalhaven or Northaven?" Sure, they could, but this is island life and you will NEVER get or understand the small island politics nor penetrate it or dictate what or how they should or should not manage their waters....

Are "destination" moorings an issue in Maine? In the big scheme of things I would have to say no. I say this because we have HUNDREDS of places to anchor. If you "must" visit Perry Creek or The Goslings, and feel "entitled" to do so then you can use the moorings until the owner comes along as this is the "unwritten rule". Even at Perry Creek you can still anchor just as you can at the Goslings... You may not get the most "prime" spot but you can still anchor...

People always complain about Sebasco and the over abundance of moorings yet we anchor there nearly every time we go. It is not an issue for someone who actually knows what they are doing. This still doesn't stop the whining...

30 years ago Jewell Island was filled with "destination" moorings. They were removed. They are now all gone except for the caretakers mooring. Jewell Island is the #1 best place to get dragged into on the coast of Maine. Perhaps some "destination" moorings would stop the stupidity of people who have no clue how to anchor? We stay away from Jewell in prime season not because of an over abundance of destination moorings but because there are sooooooooooooooooo many morons on the water who have not a clue as to how to anchor a boat. This is perhaps why we have so many "destination" moorings popping up everywhere...

A catch 22 I'd say.....
downeast450 likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-30-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.