Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring bouys

No offence to others with an alternate view point, but here is mine:

I'm lucky enough to have a town mooring in New England. It's my ground tackle but it's everyone's sea bed. Please feel free to use my mooring if it's empty. If I come home, be prepared to move post haste. Otherwise, don't chafe my penent and enjoy the view!

Sail safe and peace be with you.
davidpm likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2012

seascene is on a distinguished road

I do not want your bauble in the bay as we seem to agree.
Old 12-25-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road

Mystic Harbor has designated mooring fields. On the Stonington side there are 3 designated anchorages in the Mystic Harbor Management Plan, which was vetted with the state and passed by the Town legislative body. One of these, in the "Noank Grid" has been usurped by moorings placed by Groton entities and is effectively not available, pending resolution. The second one, opposite Mystic Shipyard, is designated by markers. The third is north of Mystic Seaport.

I am not aware of any designated anchorages on the Groton side.
Old 12-25-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Mystic Harbor has designated mooring fields. On the Stonington side there are 3 designated anchorages in the Mystic Harbor Management Plan, which was vetted with the state and passed by the Town legislative body. One of these, in the "Noank Grid" has been usurped by moorings placed by Groton entities and is effectively not available, pending resolution. The second one, opposite Mystic Shipyard, is designated by markers. The third is north of Mystic Seaport.

I am not aware of any designated anchorages on the Groton side.
I was issued a mooring permit in Noank. Not sure of the legalese of it all but I had a mooring installed and all was approved by the harbormaster.
Old 12-26-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Over the past 40 years I have and have had mooring gear from Eastport to Bowdoinham along the Maine coast. Some locations are regulated by local municipalities, others not. To anchor safely among the moorings is always an option. "Safely", is the key.

One of our current moorings is in a location that gets a lot of cruising traffic for the best of reasons. The regulations are there to protect everyone. Residents can expect their "parking place" will be there when they return from a ride. Finding a place to park your 40' boat after a picnic on one of the islands could add a bit of stress to the day's outing. "Reserved parking" makes sense. Rating and inspecting mooring gear reduces the likely hood that neglected tackle "releases" a boat to find a path to shore through the field during a blow. I drop my mooring chain myself for winter and inspect my gear annually. The town requires it every third season on Mount Desert Island. Mooring are rated for boat size permitted. This means the weight of the anchor and the size of the chain along with the scope of the boat is planned. I oversize mine as a personal approach.

These conditions are different in Bowdoinham. My town permit is $50.00 / year to set my gear in Mount Desert. It is $80.00 / year in Bowdoinham? The Bowdoinham mooring is up in an estuary and virtually fw. It is not subject to the swells of the ocean so very little wear on the chains and there is no 10 year waiting list but I am required to pay for an inspection every two years. It helps pay for the town dock and I love my connection to that peaceful boating community. If you want to anchor in the estuary it is a well protected place and there are ample safe places. Not so in Seal Harbor. An overnight on my mooring in SH will rock you to sleep or keep you from it. Politics are part of the equation in both places.

Down
Old 12-26-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I think it's wrong for waterfront owners to put out a mooring ball in order to prevent other boaters from anchoring there.

From my dock I can see not less than a dozen empty balls that in the past two years have never had a boat on them - Some I've seen pulled up and moved by a guy in a 8 foot pram.
The sole reason they are there is to prevent others from anchoring.

Unregulated mooring balls here in Maryland are becoming a problem.
Old 12-26-2012

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I think it's wrong for waterfront owners to put out a mooring ball in order to prevent other boaters from anchoring there.

From my dock I can see not less than a dozen empty balls that in the past two years have never had a boat on them - Some I've seen pulled up and moved by a guy in a 8 foot pram.
The sole reason they are there is to prevent others from anchoring.

Unregulated mooring balls here in Maryland are becoming a problem.
That is rude...Up here every mooring is registered and an annual renewal (with $$$ of course) is due. If it is not, every spring a barge comes around, yanks them up and away they go.
I will admit that if someone anchors behind my house I am curious but that is only because I am at the end of a cove way up in the bay and cruisers usually don't come up here. I actually called my wife once from the airport to ask who was in our "backyard" because I saw them when we were landing...LOL
Old 12-26-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Here you must have a boat on your mooring to keep it and it must be yours.

Down
Old 12-26-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

When your ball threatens to foul my anchor, and leaves inadequate swinging room to avoid it, I will use it anytime I please,. If some one comes back in daylight, in god weather, and wants his mooring back I will leave and find anther .At 3 am. I will not.
Who do you ask if there is no phone number on it and no payphone for miles?
Old 12-26-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

If I came back and found someone on a clearly marked personal mooring I would ask them to leave. If they refused or were not there I would take my property back. Use your anchor...not my property

The physical mooring was purchased by me and you have no rights to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner