Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012

seascene is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring bouys

Given a small anchorage, does the presence of boatless mooring bouys mean that this anchorage should be conceded to these owners? I prefer to anchor and not risk a faulty bouy. I have anchored in this situation before and my drift was within a few meters of the vacant bouys. A tie up by an owner would result in collision in this situation. I am assuming that the onus would be on the bouy owner to find an alternative until I leave next morning?
Brent Swain likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascene View Post
Given a small anchorage, does the presence of boatless mooring bouys mean that this anchorage should be conceded to these owners? I prefer to anchor and not risk a faulty bouy. I have anchored in this situation before and my drift was within a few meters of the vacant bouys. A tie up by an owner would result in collision in this situation. I am assuming that the onus would be on the bouy owner to find an alternative until I leave next morning?
Interesting and plausible scenario.. I guess it would depend on local regs wrt whether or not the buoy owner also has a waterlot lease (ie 'ownership' of the water space around the buoy) I suspect that often this will not be the case.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-28-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascene View Post
the situation you describe is one in which the anchorer gets to relocate to a different place, as the owner of the mooring has priority. i know if it was my mooring someone anchored next to , i would squawk loudly and have the offender physically removed as i pay rent(has clout) and the intruder doesnt(no clout)--he has no foot to stand on in this case. in sd, is illegal to anchor in a mooring field as much damage to under water gear can occur with anchoring over these moorings. would be smart to either discuss situation with the area in which you desire to anchor, or anchor elsewhere. could be a lot of dough to un-impound your boat ----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2012

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I would be more than irate to find someone anchored so close to my mooring I could not use it. They WOULD be moving one way or the other.
Old 12-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The law seems unclear or unwritten on this in most cases. Common decency suggests that you not use someone else property, nor interfere with its use. (unless an emergency)

I just don't tune in to the "I'm entitle to this or that logic". Pass a law and I'll step aside. Otherwise, we have a problem if you're using or interfering with my mooring and I would support another in protecting theirs.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-28-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
A basic rule followed by honest, respectful people is, "If it is not yours, leave it alone." If you can't deploy an anchor stay of the water. Because a mooring isn't "marked" makes it available is the kind of scary rationalization making lots of our freedoms feel at risk. If it is there it belongs to someone!

I leave my oars in my Avon. I leave the keys in my car (not the ignition). I don't lock the doors on my houses unless I am leaving for weeks and then leave a key under the mat. Am I inviting trouble? Not so far. Will someone steal my stuff? I hope not. There isn't much worth the effort. I have earned the respect I need from people who know me. I guess I live in a fairly safe part of the country. If you pick up my mooring we will talk.

Down

The only problems I have are bears in the hives and racoons in the corn. The deer in the gardens end up in the freezer.
I guess my reasoning does have some holes in it. I never considered the fact that I quite often leave my dinghy, which has no markings on it' at the dock unattended.

My personal mooring is very well marked, and I don't use other peoples moorings regardless of if they are marked or not.

I didn't, explain my original statement/thoughts very well. I was thinking along the lines of someone arriving at an anchorage very late at night, finding it to be full. This person sees a few empty moorings in between all the boats, motors over, sees that there are no numbers or any identification on them. In this situation if said skipper feels that the safest option is to tie up to the mooring, why not. I'm not arguing that he can claim ownership of the mooring until the end of time, but in that situation I see no issue with him using the mooring. At the same time he would also assume all risks/liability assotiated with using a mooring of indeterminate quality.

My ideas on this is influenced by the fact that here in BC there is no liscencing/approval needed to put a mooring down.
I currently have a mooring in Cowichan Bay. Its what allows me to afford my boat. At the same time Cowichan Bay is an anchorage that in my opinion is being/has been over run by moorings. Quite a few of these moorings sit empty, permanently. On two mooring other then mine, I have seen numbers to call to use the mooring if they are not in use at the moment. The rest of the moorings that sit empty are effectively denying that space to anyone else.

I feel that because moorings are essentially free to place in BC and it in essences lets you claim a piece of public space for yourself at zero cost and no benefit to the public at large they should be considered a shared resource, with the person who provided the resources to set up the mooring getting first dibbs, and if they are not currently using it anyone else who comes along can do so at their own risk.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-28-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

When I asked the govt for a map of private water leases for moorings, they said "We dont give leases for private moorings."
So the seabed is public property for the use of everyone and putting out a mooring doesn't mean you have ownership or first use of it.
Climbing over someone's rail to physically dispute someone on your mooring, makes you a sitting duck, with both hands occupied.
Old 12-28-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road

If someone picks up a private mooring and the tackle fails--let's say it was due to be replaced but the owner hadn't gotten to it--do you really think that the interloper is going to do the right thing by locating the owner, returning his float, and then locating his "lost" mushroom for him?

Picking up an unknown mooring--except in an emergency--is simply irresponsible.
Old 12-28-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
If someone picks up a private mooring and the tackle fails--let's say it was due to be replaced but the owner hadn't gotten to it--do you really think that the interloper is going to do the right thing by locating the owner, returning his float, and then locating his "lost" mushroom for him?

If the tackle fails, you did the owner a favour , by making sure it failed while his boat was not on it while he was ashore. A good shot of reverse gives it a good test.
Allowing greedy people to take over public anchorages unchallenged, barring others from using what is a public asset, is simply irresponsible.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 12-28-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Agree with this and practice the same... but..

It would be great to 'know' that some unoccupied buoys might be fair game under certain circumstances, esp here in BC where popular parks and bays fill up quickly and some of them do have unmarked buoys that are often otherwise unoccupied too.

But there's still the issue of whether or not the ground tackle is up to the job of holding YOUR boat, esp if some weather is on the way.

I also avoid anchoring amongst a field of buoys not only for fear of infringing on a buoy's usability, but also you just can't know how these various floaters are anchored, how much scope they may or may not have, seems to me the odds of snagging some part of the anchoring system(s) with your own tackle are pretty high. Who needs the grief?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)