SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   what to do in annapolis (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95182-what-do-annapolis.html)

davidpm 12-23-2012 07:04 PM

what to do in annapolis

I'm going to spend a few days between Christmas and new years in Annapolis, md working on my son's boat.

If the weather is decent I'm be busy grinding or sanding or something equally horrid. If the weather gets bad what should I do.

Any good used boat part places or nautical themed historical places I should see.

I've already been to that giant mall place with every national store in the country.
I've been to many of the standard tourist shops in old Annapolis because we go to the boat show every year.
I'm looking for what I've missed.

wingNwing 12-23-2012 07:09 PM

Re: what to do in annapolis

Naval Academy museum at Preble Hall (free). Spectacular ship models, including those carved from the bones in the rations of P.O.W.s from the early 1800. Or, PM us, and we can meet for a beer downtown.

Maine Sail 12-23-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 966048)
I'm going to spend a few days between Christmas and new years in Annapolis, md working on my son's boat.

If the weather is decent I'm be busy grinding or sanding or something equally horrid. If the weather gets bad what should I do.

Any good used boat part places or nautical themed historical places I should see.

I've already been to that giant mall place with every national store in the country.
I've been to many of the standard tourist shops in old Annapolis because we go to the boat show every year.
I'm looking for what I've missed.

My favs...

Have some Pain Killers.
Have breakfast at Chick & Ruth's
Have lunch at Chick & Ruth's
Visit Bacon's....
Have some more Pain Killers.......;)

fryewe 12-23-2012 07:34 PM

John Paul Jones' crypt on the Naval Academy grounds. Go to the chapel and walk around to the back on the west side where you will see the steps to the underground crypt.

Go out West Avenue to Bacon's...used sails and everything else nautical.

Go to Bancroft Hall on the Naval Academy grounds and go in the main entrance and walk up the steps in front of you into the Rotunda and Memorial Hall and read the history of USNA graduates in each of the nation's conflicts. Includes flags and pennants flown in major engagements and listings of graduates who were casualties from each class.

Walk through the USNA Cemetery and Columbarium near the Naval Hospital and pay respects to the famous and the unknown whose remains are there in the hill overlooking the Severn River.

scratchee 12-23-2012 07:35 PM

Bacon Sails is a fun used parts store to wander around for an hour or so. Make sure you go in the back room too.

travlineasy 12-23-2012 08:42 PM

There's an old saying in Annapolis "Keep Maryland Green - Bring Money!" Everything in Annapolis is expensive, the restaurants are OK - nothing fantastic other than the prices, Naval Accademy is a good visit, Bacon Sails is good for an hour at most. I'll be more than happy to provide you with the recipe for Green Coconut Margarettas.

Good luck on the weather,

Gary :cool:

chef2sail 12-23-2012 08:44 PM

If you like Sushi or Japanese Tappan cooking go to Joss's. The Rams Head tavern usually has great live music and a good atmosphere.

Mainesail is my good friend and expert in electronics, but listen to a chef here, avoid eating food at Chick and Ruths except to see the pictures and posters and to drink something out of a bottle...the cockroaches are the secret ingredients in their food.

In the last published Sanitation report by the health inspector they received a conditional.

New Years eve is the First Night Celebration.

In years past it meant a lot of neat venues in town like the churches and schools with live music, magicians, plays, storytellers, artwork, and busses for transportantion. It looks scaled down this year for some reason, but the Fireworks at City Doc are cool as are the bars in the area.

New Year’s Annapolis 2012-2013 - Celebrate New Year's Eve in Annapolis, Maryland

If you have the time take at least one day and travel the 35 miles up Route 50 to Washington DC and take in a museum. All the Smithsonians are cool,and free. Take a tour of the Capiol at the Capitol Visitors Center which is also free ( you see all the neat stuff and an awesome IMAX movie) tours are every 20 minutes. Make a free reservation at visitthecapitol.gov. See the national Christmas tree
http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/

Goto Baltimore (30 miles up route 97) and see the Inner Harbor and visit little Italy

davidpm 12-23-2012 09:17 PM

Thank you all.
And yes I forgot how close DC is, DUH.
Haven't been their since the kids were little.

T37Chef 12-23-2012 09:31 PM

Most have covered the other things to do when in town, a couple I might add...

Food:

Check out the Red Red Wine Bar, a student of mine is now the chef, do the sample flight of wines, pretty fun.

Joss isn't what it used to be unfortunately, the last three times I have eaten there is was pricey and nothing special. Still good, but not great.

I like a greasy dive as much as anyone, but I cant do Chick & Ruth's again, just see to many things that make one gag.

Sailing,

As mentioned, Navel Academy Museum is awesome, Bacons off West St. is entertainment for at least 2 hours. I like to walk some of the local boat yards once and while, my favorite for brokerage boats is Bert Jabins :)

Other:

If you're in the area with a car, St Michaels is about an hour, check out the maritime museum. Baltimore can be fun, especially Canton & Fells Point are fun if you like night life. Some good restaurants, bars, and live music.

T37SOLARE 12-23-2012 10:12 PM

Ditto on the Naval Academy Museum, it's a must see.

DC, more to see & do than you can imagine.

If you want to walk or drive boat yards there's Jabins, Port Annapolis and bit bit of a drive is the mother of all boat yards at Herrington Harbour North.

As for food, McGarveys is the place for mussels, beer & locals, The Boat Yard in Eastport is great for the sailing decor, and the Chart House is great for for the water front view and the food's half decent. I'll third the run from Chick & Ruth's, just not my place.

Bacons for used & new gear, do ask to see the back room... it's a good acre of used stuff. Fawcetts new(ish) store is great, they have what West doesn't, great selection and cool to just browse.

Make sure you stop in to Pussers (at the Marriott on Ego Ally) for a drink or more, not as much fun in the winter as the season but always a great time.

Enjoy your trip!