Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
At Last! Definitive Self Defense for Sailors

Having circumnavigated in the 70's, voyaging to some pretty "dangerous" places like the Sudan and SE Asia, I always felt comfortable with a 30.30 carbine and a double barrel 12 gauge w/ 00 buckshot for defense.
However, with the new breed of "pirate" attacking sailing boats with evil intent, those weapons seem of little value against a handful of aggressors armed w/ AK's in a very fast, maneuverable craft.
As a professional captain, I am very familiar with the laws regarding firearms where I've traveled. Quite simply; "war weapons" including the ancient M1 carbine amazingly, are a definitely NOT acceptable ANYWHERE. Pistols are frowned on by most countries and if reported, may need to be held ashore.
Sporting weapons, on the other hand are not a huge problem anywhere.
After many hours of web-searching, numerous emails to chemists (I was considering some sort of napalm like defense) I really had not found anything I thought would be of real value.
Last evening I received an email from a friend with this link; Dragons Breath in action
This one MIGHT do the trick! Though they may be illegal in some places, with the shells secreted in a box of buckshot or whatever; they are pretty easy to hide, and they require only a single shot 12 gauge (I doubt that you'd need more than one shot if you delivered one of these on target). I'm impressed!
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: At Last! Definitive Self Defense for Sailors

Claymore fenders!

Down
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 12-25-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

I wish they'd have shown the shell. I like the whole flamethrower / napalm idea. If you get shipwrecked and have to start a fire using wet wood all would not be lost.

As far as defense, I wonder if we aren't overlooking the obvious? What about a high speed dinghy with 4 Nissan 5hp motors on the back? You could rig your sailboat for self destruct and escape on the dinghy. When the Somali pirates board your vessel it's curtains! I want one with a motion-detector timer. When the pirates enter the salon, the timer comes on and counts down in big digital letters... 3-2-1... just so they know their ass is grass before the fireball happens. Very Schwarzenneggar movie-esque, don't you think?

I don't know how you say, "Ga-aaha-aahh LET'S GET OWT UV EEEAAAHHHH!!! GAAA-AA-AAAH!" in Somali but I'm sure that's how it would go down.

About the time it explodes you sit up in your high speed dinghy as it zips along undetected by the pirate mother ship. Don't look back though. You can't look as though fireballs are unexpected.
Duckwheat likes this.
Old 12-25-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Any thoughts?
Looks like a good way to set your boat on fire.
Old 12-25-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Looks like a good way to set your boat on fire.
I thought about that, but if they're coming alongside and you shove the shotgun outboard, you might get a few burns on the deck, but that seems preferable to the alternative. I played the video numerous times and the stuff that fell close to the muzzle appeared to extinguish pretty quickly even on grass?
Anyway you look at self defense on a small craft, it's going to be a very serious and potentially deadly situation and one's only chance for survival would be to totally incapacitate the bad guys immediately, as an AK can spit out an awful lot of lead pretty quickly. I for one am not going to limit my voyaging, within reason (I won't go near Venezuela right now!), because some assh*le wants to steal from us and take our lives.
Old 12-25-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

It looks like someone shot that round into a pile of fuel-soaked wood, and I suspect the impact on a boat wouldn't be as dramatic. Also, if the target boat was carrying guys with AKs...they just might respond by opening up on full automatic and ignore the sparkles.

A sporting shotgun, a conventional double-barrel, isn't going to do much against automatic weapons. Those guys KNOW you've only got two shots. And, they have a much longer range than you do. They can fall back to a hundred yards, where your shotgun is useless, and pick their targets at leisure.
Old 12-25-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Great googly moogly! What is that stuff? White Phosphorus?
Pasadena, MD
Old 12-25-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Claymore fenders!

Down
Remember: "Front Toward Dock"
justflie likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 12-25-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Yeah they are just incendiary rounds... they contain Phosphorus. The down side is that they burn from the end of the barrel to about 200-300 ft out. The pile of wood had to have fuel on it and the round is just used for ignition. On their own they will not start much on fire... Probably could set a fiberglass boat on fire though... and they are scary as hell when fired.
Old 12-25-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

OK - I've gotta ask - there seems to have been a lot of these "what's the best weapon to carry for self-defense against pirates" threads lately....is that because there is an actual increase in piracy in the areas most people cruise?
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.