Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012

blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: Feeling Foolish and Discouraged!

Unless you were getting a $20K boat for $3K don't sweat it...As was written already there are lots of boats out there and you have plenty of time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road

That's not right, I know what it's like to get excited and have the rug pulled out from under you.

But, it is a buyers market and there are many boats available out there.
Old 12-27-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

No need to feel foolish...you didn't do anything wrong and a deal is not ever done until it is done. Being disappointed is normal if you really wanted the boat. And don't be discouraged, there are lots of boats out there.

I've been on both sides of this type of issue. Years ago, I had several investment properties that I thought I wanted to sell. A potential buyer came along, we agreed on a price, but no contracts were in place or no deposit money. As the time came to put deal on a legal basis, with deposit and signed offer to purchase, I had second thoughts as reality set in that those properties were going to be gone. I changed my mind and backed out. The would be buyer was obviously disappointed and had done some preliminary work in lining up financing. He was a gentleman about it and didn't make a big issue. Just left, saying if I ever changed my mind, to let him know. Now this buyer was a real estate broker, and in due time, I used him to sell 11 properties, two of which he bought for himself. So things sometimes have a way of working out ok.

On the other side, in 2010, I had a 2001 Catalina 22 for sale. A buyer came along, asked lots of questions, spent time looking at the boat, more and more questions. Eventually, he agreed to buy the boat, after I had spent many hours on the deal. He called me and said that he had a bank check in-hand made out to me in amount of agreed price, and asked to close the deal. The night before the transaction was to be made, his wife convinced him to back out. (Someone at her work site told her some hearsay sea story that the boat was unsafe after she happily told that co-worker of their pending acquisition....never mind that Catalina sold some 15,000+ of the boats and is still making them today.) So in this case, the seller was the one inconvenienced and disappointed. But same as with the statement above (there's lots of boats out there), there are also lots of buyers out there, and some months later, I sold the boat with no problem.

Often, an initial disappointment can turn out to be a fortunate event in the long term. Just keep looking, you'll find a boat that you like, maybe even better than the one that got away. Good luck in your hunt.
davidpm likes this.
Old 12-27-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Da good news is there is a gazillion boats for sale AND it is HUGE buyers market.

Go find one you like.
x100.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 12-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Its better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

You will find the right boat again. Its out there. Cheer up and move forward and make it happen.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-27-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
a good broker will go to work for a good client.
Wait a sec. The client of a broker is the seller. Not the buyer.
Remember that, every broker is the opposition. He's working for the other guy. The seller is paying the broker, not you.
Old 12-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Wait a sec. The client of a broker is the seller. Not the buyer.
Remember that, every broker is the opposition. He's working for the other guy. The seller is paying the broker, not you.
Good advice. Although, you can hire a buyer's broker, it is very uncommon.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-27-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the replies and advice. The search is difficult, interesting and educational as newbies to the sport and life style. Lessons learned and everyone is right....let it go and find a better one. This forum is so helpful in all ways.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 12-27-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

There are a couple of Halman Horizons in the area that have been for sale, in some cases for several years. Contact Toronto Yacht Sales- they had listings on two of them which didn't sell, and they might be able to put you int touch with the owners.
In the meantime, I know of a very nice S2 8.0 for sale in the same $$ ballpark.

Are you going to the Toronto Boat Show?

Old 12-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Its not really their right not to sell after they have accepted your offer and taken your deposit....
It's not ethical or polite, but unless you have a written contract that says otherwise, it is their right.

kalina... did you have a written contract? This may be something you want included in the next one. Although, forcing someone to sell property that they don't want to sell is probably going to go badly one way or the other.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.