SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Feeling Foolish and Discouraged! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95256-feeling-foolish-discouraged.html)

Kalina-Lona 12-27-2012 06:03 AM

Feeling Foolish and Discouraged!

Hello All,

After writing a few posts saying I will be sailing in the spring and that we have bought a 1980 Halman 27 I feel foolish and discouraged.

Everything was going smooth with the sale, even made arrgt's for a slip and then they changed their mind with this flimsy, almost sleazy way out!

They put the sale on hold for 3 weeks to vacation and I trusted their reasons, I'll never get caught again?

Now, it's back to the search. I need to catch my breath and reason this thing out. I know there are a lot of sincere folks out there and I thought I had a good read on these folks....oh well!

Hope you all had a great Christmas Day!

Ron

PBzeer 12-27-2012 06:18 AM

Re: Feeling Foolish and Discouraged!

Just look at it as "it wasn't meant to be". Now, maybe you'll find something even better.

Always try to look at the bright side. Saves a lot of wear and tear.

trantor12020 12-27-2012 07:02 AM

Kay sera sera, what will be will be. The future's not ours to see. Kay sera sera.

BubbleheadMd 12-27-2012 08:36 AM

Hm. After looking at the specs and photos of this vessel, I'll opine that it's God's way of saving you from sailing an ugly boat that goes to windward like a haystack.

There are better performing boats, with the same amount of room below, that are still affordable for you. I'm certain that you'll find one.:)

bloodhunter 12-27-2012 08:38 AM

Hey Ron,
No reason to feel foolish just because you can't rread minds. A new year is almost here and with it will come new boats to look at and there ill be one just right for you.
Have a great new year

Minnewaska 12-27-2012 08:49 AM

Can't be foolish, if they decided not to sell. That's their right. It might not be fully ethical or polite, but don't sweat it.

Discouraged, I understand. But there are do many boats for sale, this should pass quickly.

TQA 12-27-2012 09:08 AM

Da good news is there is a gazillion boats for sale AND it is HUGE buyers market.

Go find one you like.

PalmettoSailor 12-27-2012 09:14 AM

Sorry your deal fell apart but thats the way things go sometimes.

One thing you can count on though is that there will always be another boat for sale thats as good or better than the one you missed.

MarkofSeaLife 12-27-2012 09:23 AM

Its not really their right not to sell after they have accepted your offer and taken your deposit.

I agree with you that you probably feel a bit foolish, but turn the emotion into action that reduces the chance of this happening again.
Only deal with a Listing broker. Dont get a broker to look around for a boat for you.
Play hard ball with the brokers, harder than you have been.
Dont give a check on an offer unless its with a listing broker and you have some indication the seller is serious.
Keep looking for boats and try to have two boats you want to make an offer on at the same time. Dont make a deposit check if you can avoid it and let the brokers of the two boats haggle.

The experience will be worth it because remember, this is a big investment but there may be larger ones in later life both houses and boats!

Dont fall in love till its in your slip, before that you can play the tough man game.

Ninefingers 12-27-2012 09:46 AM

I would suggest you take a drive to Port Credit on the weekend. That's where most of the broker's offices are. Tell them your story. They will obviously see you as a serious buyer, since you basically just did the deed. That should put you ahead of 99% of the other people that drop by their offices.

Of course, you're not dropping $100,000 but still, a good broker will go to work for a good client.