SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Feeling Foolish and Discouraged!

6K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
Hello All,

After writing a few posts saying I will be sailing in the spring and that we have bought a 1980 Halman 27 I feel foolish and discouraged.

Everything was going smooth with the sale, even made arrgt's for a slip and then they changed their mind with this flimsy, almost sleazy way out!

They put the sale on hold for 3 weeks to vacation and I trusted their reasons, I'll never get caught again?

Now, it's back to the search. I need to catch my breath and reason this thing out. I know there are a lot of sincere folks out there and I thought I had a good read on these folks....oh well!

Hope you all had a great Christmas Day!

Ron

#2 ·
Just look at it as "it wasn't meant to be". Now, maybe you'll find something even better.

Always try to look at the bright side. Saves a lot of wear and tear.

#4 ·
Hm. After looking at the specs and photos of this vessel, I'll opine that it's God's way of saving you from sailing an ugly boat that goes to windward like a haystack.

There are better performing boats, with the same amount of room below, that are still affordable for you. I'm certain that you'll find one.:)

#9 ·
Its not really their right not to sell after they have accepted your offer and taken your deposit.

I agree with you that you probably feel a bit foolish, but turn the emotion into action that reduces the chance of this happening again.
Only deal with a Listing broker. Dont get a broker to look around for a boat for you.
Play hard ball with the brokers, harder than you have been.
Dont give a check on an offer unless its with a listing broker and you have some indication the seller is serious.
Keep looking for boats and try to have two boats you want to make an offer on at the same time. Dont make a deposit check if you can avoid it and let the brokers of the two boats haggle.

The experience will be worth it because remember, this is a big investment but there may be larger ones in later life both houses and boats!

Dont fall in love till its in your slip, before that you can play the tough man game.

#20 ·
Its not really their right not to sell after they have accepted your offer and taken your deposit....
It's not ethical or polite, but unless you have a written contract that says otherwise, it is their right.

kalina... did you have a written contract? This may be something you want included in the next one. Although, forcing someone to sell property that they don't want to sell is probably going to go badly one way or the other.

#10 ·
I would suggest you take a drive to Port Credit on the weekend. That's where most of the broker's offices are. Tell them your story. They will obviously see you as a serious buyer, since you basically just did the deed. That should put you ahead of 99% of the other people that drop by their offices.

Of course, you're not dropping $100,000 but still, a good broker will go to work for a good client.

#13 ·
No need to feel foolish...you didn't do anything wrong and a deal is not ever done until it is done. Being disappointed is normal if you really wanted the boat. And don't be discouraged, there are lots of boats out there.

I've been on both sides of this type of issue. Years ago, I had several investment properties that I thought I wanted to sell. A potential buyer came along, we agreed on a price, but no contracts were in place or no deposit money. As the time came to put deal on a legal basis, with deposit and signed offer to purchase, I had second thoughts as reality set in that those properties were going to be gone. I changed my mind and backed out. The would be buyer was obviously disappointed and had done some preliminary work in lining up financing. He was a gentleman about it and didn't make a big issue. Just left, saying if I ever changed my mind, to let him know. Now this buyer was a real estate broker, and in due time, I used him to sell 11 properties, two of which he bought for himself. So things sometimes have a way of working out ok.

On the other side, in 2010, I had a 2001 Catalina 22 for sale. A buyer came along, asked lots of questions, spent time looking at the boat, more and more questions. Eventually, he agreed to buy the boat, after I had spent many hours on the deal. He called me and said that he had a bank check in-hand made out to me in amount of agreed price, and asked to close the deal. The night before the transaction was to be made, his wife convinced him to back out. (Someone at her work site told her some hearsay sea story that the boat was unsafe after she happily told that co-worker of their pending acquisition....never mind that Catalina sold some 15,000+ of the boats and is still making them today.) So in this case, the seller was the one inconvenienced and disappointed. But same as with the statement above (there's lots of boats out there), there are also lots of buyers out there, and some months later, I sold the boat with no problem.

Often, an initial disappointment can turn out to be a fortunate event in the long term. Just keep looking, you'll find a boat that you like, maybe even better than the one that got away. Good luck in your hunt.

#15 ·
Its better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

You will find the right boat again. Its out there. Cheer up and move forward and make it happen.

Dave

#19 ·
There are a couple of Halman Horizons in the area that have been for sale, in some cases for several years. Contact Toronto Yacht Sales- they had listings on two of them which didn't sell, and they might be able to put you int touch with the owners.
In the meantime, I know of a very nice S2 8.0 for sale in the same $$ ballpark.

Are you going to the Toronto Boat Show?

#27 ·
One infallible dictum is that when things start off bad, they never get better.
You're lucky you got out of that one.
Why?
Because a Halman Horizon is a dog and you'll have a difficult time unloading it when the time comes.
Stick to the preceding recommendations.
Cal, S2, Ranger, etc. especially the Rangers imho.
Dick

#28 ·
I have done that before, I mean try and sell only to back out at the end. This past summer I was trapped financially and I put KIVALO (my boat) up for sale. A nice couple came to look and made an offer but I refused at the last minute because I was able to finagle a way to keep the boat. I felt very badly but I really did not want to sell it to begin with, it was a sale of necessity.

As frustrating as it may be, were I you I wouldn't sweat it too much nor take it personally. Good luck in your search.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

#30 ·
Yes, the world of sales has it's challenges....but there remain many who respect each other. There will always be reasons why deals don't go thru...this is just one!

I've always tried to conduct myself during my work years and private life treating others the way I like to be treated. In most cases it has worked well.

My thoughts and search are going to focus on the Catalina 27, there are a few in the Niagara area...1980-1984...well equipped and priced Ok. I'm going to email today and start the process.

What has been your experience with using Brokers? Knowledgeable individuals must be a bonus.

Thanks again for your comments/advice.

Ron

#33 · (Edited)
....What has been your experience with using Brokers? Knowledgeable individuals must be a bonus....
This answer varies widely. Very widely!

I've had some luck with this strategy. If you have a particular manufacturer that you're interested in, then contact your closest dealer and see if they have a used boat broker on staff. They will want to show you their own inventory first, but will be very knowledgeable about virtually ever boat their company made that is on the market within reach and are happy to arrange the purchase of another. I've also found it useful to have a relationship with that dealer after you own one of their products. They want to keep you happy in the event you upgrade one day.

If you only want them to help with their product, make that very clear from the beginning. A used broker will ultimately want to sell you something and feel the work they've put in should allow them some kind of loyalty. I agree with their assumption, as long as it is clear upfront. You always have the right to change brokers, but understand that the original may feel like you aren't worth the effort, if they feel discarded. Just be clear how you intend to work with them, narrowly or broadly.

Also, be careful. While you may engage the broker to find you a boat, they technically work for the seller, unless you have a contract that says otherwise. A buyer's broker contract is rare. Even with one, there remains a subtle conflict of interest. They only get paid if you buy. A good broker will focus you on the best buy, but they still hope you buy. A broker that is very knowledgeable in the make/model can help you with specific differences between models years, motors, things to look for, etc.

#31 · (Edited)
Yeah if there is one thing I have learned since getting into boating its this ... there are always boats out there with owners who are desperate to get rid of them. It isn't like the real estate market where the biggest expense is taxes, where owners can graze some cows or get renters to cover the cost, boats are nothing but useless money holes that depreciate every year and the only way to stop the bleeding is to sell them. :) Your money is highly sought after and there are always plenty of boats out there looking for new s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶s homes, it isn't like there is a Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac out there helping people achieve their dream of boat ownership, and there is very little competition among buyers for boats. Boats are toys, the first thing people sell when they get into financial trouble.

No need to feel foolish, just move on to the next boat. There will be plenty of time to feel foolish after you buy a boat. :D

#35 ·
I found out several years ago that you treat all large purchases (houses, cars, boats) as a strictly business decision. Do not "fall in love" with anything until you own it. Take the emotion out of the deal and negotiate hard. Don't forget to stick to your principles and budget. Back in the early nineties, my wife fell in love with a house and just had to have it even though we already had a nice place. I told her if we could buy at a certain price, it would work. We bid $44,000 less than the listed price, negotiated a little and ended up getting it for $36,500 less than the list price. Did the same with my boat. Got close to my top price I would pay and to make the deal work, the broker tossed in half of his commission plus the winter rental. Don't listen to the brokers that will tell you your offer is "insulting". It's only insulting to them because their commission will be lower.

Good luck!

#39 ·
I found out several years ago that you treat all large purchases (houses, cars, boats) as a strictly business decision. Do not "fall in love" with anything until you own it. Take the emotion out of the deal and negotiate hard. Don't forget to stick to your principles and budget . . . . the broker tossed in half of his commission plus the winter rental. Don't listen to the brokers that will tell you your offer is "insulting". It's only insulting to them because their commission will be lower.
Agreed, except for the commission part. I'm a full time Realtor, I don't cut commission. Once there is money on the table one party will almost always get emotional and cement the deal. If I cut commission I wouldn't be able to afford to support my habits - sailing, travel, good food, decent clothes . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.