Schengen - Help - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 12-28-2012 Thread Starter
Sailboat Reboot
 
svzephyr44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On Board
Posts: 651
Thanks: 4
Thanked 51 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 16
 
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Schengen - Help

OK - so I will make it easy.

I want a long stay multi-entry Schengen Visa (D) so that I can sail around the Med for a season - lets say a 1 year to 18 month Visa since I will first arrive in the Azores which I think is part of Schengen. Where do I apply? Do I have to go back to the US? (As I am a US Citizen) What country is the easiest to deal with? What category am I? (I am not a student, not a business person, don't want to work, don't have an EU bride etc.) All I want to do is sail around for a year or so without having to leave every 90 days for 90 days. So I repeat

HELP!

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Blogging:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
svzephyr44 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 25 Old 12-28-2012
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,505
Thanks: 21
Thanked 112 Times in 95 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: Schengen - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
OK - so I will make it easy.

I want a long stay multi-entry Schengen Visa (D) so that I can sail around the Med for a season - lets say a 1 year to 18 month Visa since I will first arrive in the Azores which I think is part of Schengen. Where do I apply? Do I have to go back to the US? (As I am a US Citizen) What country is the easiest to deal with? What category am I? (I am not a student, not a business person, don't want to work, don't have an EU bride etc.) All I want to do is sail around for a year or so without having to leave every 90 days for 90 days. So I repeat

HELP!
That would be hard, I mean not having to go out every 90 days. That has to do with immigrant's control but sailing on the Med that should not be difficult: you only have to cross it to the other side (North Africa) have a stamp and keep sailing.

You have also on the North side of the med several countries out of EC like Albania, Montenegro, Croatia (is coming in this year), Turkey and Cyprus. It don't seem to be a problem to me with a good planning.

Regards

Paulo
PCP is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #13 of 25 Old 12-28-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 938
Thanks: 56
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Schengen - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That would be hard, I mean not having to go out every 90 days. That has to do with immigrant's control but sailing on the Med that should not be difficult: you only have to cross it to the other side (North Africa) have a stamp and keep sailing.

You have also on the North side of the med several countries out of EC like Albania, Montenegro, Croatia (is coming in this year), Turkey and Cyprus. It don't seem to be a problem to me with a good planning.

Regards

Paulo
Cyprus is in the EU (don't know about Schengen)
MastUndSchotbruch is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #14 of 25 Old 12-28-2012
Senior Member
 
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,519
Thanks: 43
Thanked 153 Times in 132 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Dock
Re: Schengen - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Cyprus is in the EU (don't know about Schengen)
Cyprus has signed the Schengen Agreement, but Turksih Cyprus has not.

Azores is part of Portugal and in Schengen.

The Caribbean countires, departments of France etc are NOT part of Schengen.

To the OP its 90 days in and then 90 days out. If you find another way to do it legally you might tell us because I don't know how you get around it, nor anyone else.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MarkofSeaLife is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #15 of 25 Old 12-28-2012
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,505
Thanks: 21
Thanked 112 Times in 95 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: Schengen - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Cyprus is in the EU (don't know about Schengen)
No, only half of the Island, the other half is out and it belongs to Turkey.

Regards

Paulo
PCP is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #16 of 25 Old 09-16-2013
s/v Paragon
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Schengen - Help

Unfortunately, these websites, and the information on them, are no longer current.

Is there anyone out there who has had any luck extending their stay in a country that is part of the Schengen Agreenment? We are an American couple aboard our boat which is currently in Iceland which is a part of Schengen, but not a part of the EU. We spent about a month and a half sailing around Greenland (which is also Schengen) so we have approx. a month and a half left in any Schengen Country.

Our plan was to sail from Greenland to Iceland to Ireland, arriving in Ireland in the beginning of September to avoid the inclement weather that begins around that time. Unfortunately, we were delayed by weather and equipment failure which has kept us in Greenland and Iceland longer than expected.

We are also losing our crew in a couple of days. We very much hope to get a weather window to Ireland, but as the days tick by we are starting to get concerned. Just yesterday we battled 50+ knots of wind here in the harbour.

Our boat is our home…we have no other land based accommodations to go to if forced to leave. We have no desire to acquire jobs here and can prove that we have the financial means not to be a burden.

We have contacted the US embassy, but they cannot offer any advice except to contact Icelandic Immigration. We hope to speak to them tomorrow, but I just wondered if anyone has had any luck at all in extending their stay in such conditions.
momoparagon is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #17 of 25 Old 09-16-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 938
Thanks: 56
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Schengen - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
No, only half of the Island, the other half is out and it belongs to Turkey.

Regards

Paulo
You are half right

It is correct that only one part is in the EU.

What is not right is that the other half belongs to Turkey. The north of the island considers itself an independent country, the "Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus." Except for themselves, the only country that sees it that way is Turkey, no other country (nor the UN) has recognized it as such. Nevertheless, it is not part of Turkey.
MastUndSchotbruch is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #18 of 25 Old 09-16-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 86
Thanks: 40
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Schengen - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoparagon View Post
Unfortunately, these websites, and the information on them, are no longer current.

Is there anyone out there who has had any luck extending their stay in a country that is part of the Schengen Agreenment? We are an American couple aboard our boat which is currently in Iceland which is a part of Schengen, but not a part of the EU. We spent about a month and a half sailing around Greenland (which is also Schengen) so we have approx. a month and a half left in any Schengen Country.

Our plan was to sail from Greenland to Iceland to Ireland, arriving in Ireland in the beginning of September to avoid the inclement weather that begins around that time. Unfortunately, we were delayed by weather and equipment failure which has kept us in Greenland and Iceland longer than expected.

We are also losing our crew in a couple of days. We very much hope to get a weather window to Ireland, but as the days tick by we are starting to get concerned. Just yesterday we battled 50+ knots of wind here in the harbour.

Our boat is our home…we have no other land based accommodations to go to if forced to leave. We have no desire to acquire jobs here and can prove that we have the financial means not to be a burden.

We have contacted the US embassy, but they cannot offer any advice except to contact Icelandic Immigration. We hope to speak to them tomorrow, but I just wondered if anyone has had any luck at all in extending their stay in such conditions.
You might want to try www.noonsite.com. They have pretty good info on cruising.
Good luck

Rebuilding The S/V Kompira


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOVT is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #19 of 25 Old 09-16-2013
s/v Paragon
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Schengen - Help

Thank you SOVT.

I have checked out noonsite, but the information is a bit too generalized for what I am needing.

I will double check, though, in case I have missed something.

Thanks Again!

Monique
momoparagon is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #20 of 25 Old 09-16-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 907
Thanks: 8
Thanked 70 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Schengen - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoparagon View Post
Unfortunately, these websites, and the information on them, are no longer current.

Is there anyone out there who has had any luck extending their stay in a country that is part of the Schengen Agreenment? We are an American couple aboard our boat which is currently in Iceland which is a part of Schengen, but not a part of the EU. We spent about a month and a half sailing around Greenland (which is also Schengen) so we have approx. a month and a half left in any Schengen Country.

Our plan was to sail from Greenland to Iceland to Ireland, arriving in Ireland in the beginning of September to avoid the inclement weather that begins around that time. Unfortunately, we were delayed by weather and equipment failure which has kept us in Greenland and Iceland longer than expected.

We are also losing our crew in a couple of days. We very much hope to get a weather window to Ireland, but as the days tick by we are starting to get concerned. Just yesterday we battled 50+ knots of wind here in the harbour.

Our boat is our home…we have no other land based accommodations to go to if forced to leave. We have no desire to acquire jobs here and can prove that we have the financial means not to be a burden.

We have contacted the US embassy, but they cannot offer any advice except to contact Icelandic Immigration. We hope to speak to them tomorrow, but I just wondered if anyone has had any luck at all in extending their stay in such conditions.
Don't know if this is any help for you, some links to "The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration"

US citizens don't need visa to visit Norway (Norway is a Schengen member)
UDI: Do you need a visa in order to visit Norway?

But the 90 day rule still apply
"If you are exempted from the visa requirement to Norway, you may stay inside the Schengen area for up to 90 days during any period of six months."
UDI: What are the regulations for nationals of visa-free countries ?

Here are the rules for "Extension of a visitor's visa", the definition of "new and unforeseen circumstances" is very limited. The same probably applies for you..
UDI: Extension of a visitor's visa
knuterikt is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Tags
schengen

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Visa issue/Schengen. How do you it? cheapboxofwine Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 4 06-07-2007 12:45 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome