Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Schengen - Help

OK - so I will make it easy.

I want a long stay multi-entry Schengen Visa (D) so that I can sail around the Med for a season - lets say a 1 year to 18 month Visa since I will first arrive in the Azores which I think is part of Schengen. Where do I apply? Do I have to go back to the US? (As I am a US Citizen) What country is the easiest to deal with? What category am I? (I am not a student, not a business person, don't want to work, don't have an EU bride etc.) All I want to do is sail around for a year or so without having to leave every 90 days for 90 days. So I repeat

HELP!

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
OK - so I will make it easy.

I want a long stay multi-entry Schengen Visa (D) so that I can sail around the Med for a season - lets say a 1 year to 18 month Visa since I will first arrive in the Azores which I think is part of Schengen. Where do I apply? Do I have to go back to the US? (As I am a US Citizen) What country is the easiest to deal with? What category am I? (I am not a student, not a business person, don't want to work, don't have an EU bride etc.) All I want to do is sail around for a year or so without having to leave every 90 days for 90 days. So I repeat

HELP!
That would be hard, I mean not having to go out every 90 days. That has to do with immigrant's control but sailing on the Med that should not be difficult: you only have to cross it to the other side (North Africa) have a stamp and keep sailing.

You have also on the North side of the med several countries out of EC like Albania, Montenegro, Croatia (is coming in this year), Turkey and Cyprus. It don't seem to be a problem to me with a good planning.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-28-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That would be hard, I mean not having to go out every 90 days. That has to do with immigrant's control but sailing on the Med that should not be difficult: you only have to cross it to the other side (North Africa) have a stamp and keep sailing.

You have also on the North side of the med several countries out of EC like Albania, Montenegro, Croatia (is coming in this year), Turkey and Cyprus. It don't seem to be a problem to me with a good planning.

Regards

Paulo
Cyprus is in the EU (don't know about Schengen)
Old 12-28-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Cyprus has signed the Schengen Agreement, but Turksih Cyprus has not.

Azores is part of Portugal and in Schengen.

The Caribbean countires, departments of France etc are NOT part of Schengen.

To the OP its 90 days in and then 90 days out. If you find another way to do it legally you might tell us because I don't know how you get around it, nor anyone else.
Old 12-28-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
No, only half of the Island, the other half is out and it belongs to Turkey.

Regards

Paulo
Old 09-16-2013
s/v Paragon

momoparagon is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, these websites, and the information on them, are no longer current.

Is there anyone out there who has had any luck extending their stay in a country that is part of the Schengen Agreenment? We are an American couple aboard our boat which is currently in Iceland which is a part of Schengen, but not a part of the EU. We spent about a month and a half sailing around Greenland (which is also Schengen) so we have approx. a month and a half left in any Schengen Country.

Our plan was to sail from Greenland to Iceland to Ireland, arriving in Ireland in the beginning of September to avoid the inclement weather that begins around that time. Unfortunately, we were delayed by weather and equipment failure which has kept us in Greenland and Iceland longer than expected.

We are also losing our crew in a couple of days. We very much hope to get a weather window to Ireland, but as the days tick by we are starting to get concerned. Just yesterday we battled 50+ knots of wind here in the harbour.

Our boat is our home…we have no other land based accommodations to go to if forced to leave. We have no desire to acquire jobs here and can prove that we have the financial means not to be a burden.

We have contacted the US embassy, but they cannot offer any advice except to contact Icelandic Immigration. We hope to speak to them tomorrow, but I just wondered if anyone has had any luck at all in extending their stay in such conditions.
Old 09-16-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
No, only half of the Island, the other half is out and it belongs to Turkey.

Regards

Paulo
You are half right

It is correct that only one part is in the EU.

What is not right is that the other half belongs to Turkey. The north of the island considers itself an independent country, the "Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus." Except for themselves, the only country that sees it that way is Turkey, no other country (nor the UN) has recognized it as such. Nevertheless, it is not part of Turkey.
Old 09-16-2013

SOVT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoparagon View Post
Unfortunately, these websites, and the information on them, are no longer current.

Is there anyone out there who has had any luck extending their stay in a country that is part of the Schengen Agreenment? We are an American couple aboard our boat which is currently in Iceland which is a part of Schengen, but not a part of the EU. We spent about a month and a half sailing around Greenland (which is also Schengen) so we have approx. a month and a half left in any Schengen Country.

Our plan was to sail from Greenland to Iceland to Ireland, arriving in Ireland in the beginning of September to avoid the inclement weather that begins around that time. Unfortunately, we were delayed by weather and equipment failure which has kept us in Greenland and Iceland longer than expected.

We are also losing our crew in a couple of days. We very much hope to get a weather window to Ireland, but as the days tick by we are starting to get concerned. Just yesterday we battled 50+ knots of wind here in the harbour.

Our boat is our home…we have no other land based accommodations to go to if forced to leave. We have no desire to acquire jobs here and can prove that we have the financial means not to be a burden.

We have contacted the US embassy, but they cannot offer any advice except to contact Icelandic Immigration. We hope to speak to them tomorrow, but I just wondered if anyone has had any luck at all in extending their stay in such conditions.
You might want to try www.noonsite.com. They have pretty good info on cruising.
Good luck

Old 09-16-2013
s/v Paragon

momoparagon is on a distinguished road

Thank you SOVT.

I have checked out noonsite, but the information is a bit too generalized for what I am needing.

I will double check, though, in case I have missed something.

Thanks Again!

Monique
Old 09-16-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoparagon View Post

Don't know if this is any help for you, some links to "The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration"

US citizens don't need visa to visit Norway (Norway is a Schengen member)
UDI: Do you need a visa in order to visit Norway?

But the 90 day rule still apply
"If you are exempted from the visa requirement to Norway, you may stay inside the Schengen area for up to 90 days during any period of six months."
UDI: What are the regulations for nationals of visa-free countries ?

Here are the rules for "Extension of a visitor's visa", the definition of "new and unforeseen circumstances" is very limited. The same probably applies for you..
UDI: Extension of a visitor's visa

Tags
schengen