SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Suggestions for my next boat

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
I sold my C&C34 last year and have now begun my search for a new boat. I have read this forum often and thought it would be useful to get suggestions for boats for other sailors as I am finding the task of narrowing down a list to search for and look at daunting. Here are my thoughts on a new boat.

I sail on Long Island Sound off a mooring. I overnight at the mooring often (my second house on the water), sail alone most of the time, with my wife some of the time and periodically taking groups of students and friends out. We have not cruised at all up until now but my wife and I plan overnight or weekend trips in the future with kids now out of the house. So not more than two on the boat, and no long cruising trips planned. The boat must be set up to be easily handled by one person. I have been a singlehanded/doublehanded dinghy racer all my life, so am a good sailor, but have only the last 6 years of keelboat experience on the C&C. I expect decent to excellent performance from a boat and fun. I have been looking in the 27-34' range, as I found the size and weight of things on the 34 to be challenging sometimes, but have not determined a perfect size. I did not have a spinnaker setup on the C&C so while not a requirement, I would enjoy one on the new boat (asymetrical/furling?) to add another dimension of fun if it could be handled by one person. I raced the C&C periodically solo or shorthanded and would race the new boat in club events periodically but definitely solo or shorthanded.
Other issues:
1. The deep keel of the C&C (6') was sometimes limiting on LIS. It would be nice to have shoal draft, lifting or keel/centerboard on the new one.
2. The C&C was a very tender boat. It was a handful when the wind piped up, which it often does in my area. I would like a boat I can be confident taking out myself in any conditions.
3. I am 6'3' tall, so decent headroom and berth length is a plus.
4. I doubt I could talk my wife into a new boat, but the budget is not fixed yet. The most boat for the money that accomplishes as much as possible is the compromise. We looked at the J95 at Newport this fall, and I have to say that it was about as perfect a boat in terms of the list above as I have seen, but the price was much higher than I am considering at this point (probably 200k by the time it is outfitted well). I guess that does not does not take resale value into the equation, but I don't know how to figure that. Obviously, if you pay more up front but can recoup most of that at sale, then it is better than paying less and getting less back, but with a newer boat, and the volatile market, I don't know to what extent that works in your favor.
Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
A better definition of your budget range, and 'age limit' would be helpful.

The length bracket and your headroom requirements may be a tad troublesome. Certainly most of the J boats in that range would be out, not only on budget factors.

#3 ·
Funny you should mention J boats. Someone I know I asked for boat ideas immediately suggested the J34c and J105. As to budget, I am targeting 50-100k as a starting point. I look on the cost as a "get what you pay for" calculation, so if there is a reason to spend more, I would consider want to know what I am paying for. There is also the what you can expect to get back so whether the extra investment pays off.

#4 · (Edited)
The J105 has maybe 5.5 feet headroom.... but it's a quick boat. I dismissed it on that basis.. the 34C is another story and a different boat, and would likely be do-able in that range. They are relatively rare, though.

#5 ·
Hello,

If you like J boats you should also consider the J32.
Introduction
There is one listed at McMichael's, which isn't too far away
McMichael Yacht Brokers and Yacht Yard - Our Yacht Listings

Personally, if I had a boat on a mooring (and I do) I would insist on at least a swim / boarding platform and I would prefer a walk through rear transom.

Some obvious suggestions for you are any thirtyish foot boat from Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau and the like. Specifically, the Catalina 320, Hunter 33, Beneteau 323.

Good luck,
Barry

#6 ·
J's are great for racing....low on the amenities scale....they are also tender like a C&C..you just have to knwo when to reef on them and keep them on their feet, when you do they still fly. Id still prefer the C&C for speed over the Hunters, Catalina, and the Bennes in that size range.

Look at Sabres they are quick and have good cruising amenities also/

Dave

#8 ·
Since you are leaning toward J's anyway, I would recommend the 34c, 32, or even the 37. I am a bit biased having owned a 34c and both versions of the 37. 34's are hard to find as they only built 36. 37's and the 37c are a bit more available with the non-c version being quite reasonable in price. Initial stability of Jboats is lower than some, but when you build some speed, they lock in with 12-15 degrees heel and move. I love they way they sail. I have never owned a 32, but would strongly consider that one for what you are wanting to do. They have very large berths, good headroom, well built, and are newer than the others. Also, they have Yanmars in them. The 34 and the 37-non c have Volvos, I never had a lot of problems from my Volvos, but parts are expensive and tech info is not as good as with Yanmars. Shoal versions of all 3 sail very well compared to deeper draft boats, though in my opinion, there is no substitute for draft. I would not be hesitant to go with any of these. Go look at jcruiser.org when you have a moment, there is a little bit of info there on these boats. Post with your search progress.
DD

#11 ·
My wife and I looked at some boats today (Sabre 32 cb and Hunter 33) and came to the conclusion that one of the things she would really like on the boat is a step off transom (is that the correct term?- for kayak access). That rules out many of the boats I had previously been considering. It seems to be putting me into 2000+ era boats as near as I can tell. Anyone have suggestions to add to my list if you factor that in? Thanks- Dave

#12 ·
Early 90s Catalina 34s and 36 have walk-through transoms, as does the C320, Hunter Legends from 89/90 on, and yes, most any boat 2000 and on. Many had better stern platforms that did not have an actual 'walk through, ie the platform is there but you had to climb up and over into the cockpit.. so that's another option. Some CS 36Ms came that way among others. C&C 34+, 37 also had 'open' transoms..

FWIW we kayak off our boat all the time, my wife doesn't have a lot of upper body strength yet she's perfected a technique for getting into and out of the kayak on our stern ladder.. she gets one foot wet but that's it. So it is possible with practice so may not eliminate the other boats you may like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.