Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013

finding41 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to finding41
Re: Toronto International Boat Show

Yes it was. Its only about 5000lb heavier. But what a nice boat! I think the nicest boat of hte show was to the right of it. The Benateau 30. Not trailer-able but well appointed and finished with more attention to detail than the other boats in that area! Both the 28' Tes and the 30' Benateau were the only boats of that crowd that the floor didn't flex and shift when walking around inside! I couldn't believe that a 300000+ sailboat would be so cheaply outfitted. Its like putting "click floor" in a mansion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road

I saw the Tess 2 years ago at the Port Credit boat show and was really impressed with the engineering although I thought the running rigging was very light. The cabin was remarkable for that size of boat. This summer, we pulled into Cobourg harbour and I ran into the owner of the exact same boat that was on display at Port Credit (he bought it at that show) and he raved about it.

We were at the show last Sunday and bought some odds and ends - some new boat shoes, a windex mount, an American curtesy flag...

Looked at the NuTeak flooring and am seriously considering putting that in my boat this spring...looked great, good price and easier to install than real teak and holly.

What blew me away was the motor cruiser on sale for $900,000. Seriously?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2013

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger

Yes it is the Tes and the Tes sold yesterday to a chap in Montreal
Old 01-20-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Sorry I missed the meet 'n' greet - ended up going to dinner with some folks from my marina.

I did get back to the show yesterday. I had been there on Tuesday and wished I was able to do my browsing then - far fewer people! I went with my Dad and, at the last minute my Mom decided to come along. (they're both early 80's). The walking was a bit much for them so I didn't get a chance to see everything I wanted to.

I did buy a new depth sounder (Raymarine ST-40). With the lake levels dropping as they have I will need one that doesn't keep cutting out at depths shallower than 30'.

I paid for a spinnaker ring for my mast (Isomat). I'll have to go pick it up, along with some other stuff, from Holland Marine.

Replaced my rigging knife (rusty stainless one - although it has the neat feature of glowing in the dark) with a new Gill one:

I also grabbed, along with what seemed to be everyone else, a new boat hook to replace the one I sacrificed to Neptune in the summer.

My dad bought a Topaz Uno for my nephews. Looks like it should be a blast!

I went back to show yesterday with my wife. Crowded. Picked up a few odds and ends then went to dinner.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 01-20-2013

chamonix is on a distinguished road

Well went to the boat show yesterday. I wanted to go during the week to avoid the crowds, but my sister and her family wanted to come so we picked Sat. Turns out my sister cancelled, which pissed me off as now I had to face crowds I could have avoided. Still met another couple from the marina and had some fun looking around with them.
Looked at some of the sailboats, but the line-ups to get on where just not worth it. About all I can say is that I didn't like the open transom idea on some of the boats.
Spent a couple of hours looking at a kayak for the wife. Didn't end up getting one, and was bored to tears.
So what did we get? A couple of nice fleeces from the Henri-loyd both, $40.00 a piece and very nice fleeces. A couple of plastic covered aide- memoires from Nautical Minds, one on diesels and one on nautical calculations. a snatch block from Gearhuse.
We also ended up getting a steam cleaner for the house! How sad is that? You go to a boat show and your big purchase is a steam cleaner for the house!
Attended a lecture on Cruising the North Channel. The guy giving it had access to a microphone but didn't use it. My hearing is crappy and getting worse, so I didn't hear a thing. Bit of a waste of time for me.
Last thing I wanted to do was get an idea on how much an new 110% jib would cost me. All my sails are North Sails, so I went to their booth. Talked to a young guy there. he hummed and hawed and messed around. By that time (5:30 PM ) I was tired, my back was aching, and had very little patience left, So it was "yeah, yeah, bye-bye" Went to Doyle sails, and talked to an older guy. He didn't mess around. It was give me all the details and I'll E-mail you a price. Anyone know anything about Doyle sails?
Thought about going to the meet and greet, but between the crowds, and my back, my patience was long gone, so we headed home. Turns out there was construction on the Lakeshore, and it took us about an hour to get onto the Gardener Expressway. God I hate Downtown Toronto.
Old 01-20-2013

chamonix is on a distinguished road

Well went to the boat show yesterday. I wanted to go during the week to avoid the crowds, but my sister and her family wanted to come so we picked Sat. Turns out my sister cancelled, which pissed me off as now I had to face crowds I could have avoided. Still met another couple from the marina and had some fun looking around with them.
Looked at some of the sailboats, but the line-ups to get on where just not worth it. About all I can say is that I didn't like the open transom idea on some of the boats.
Spent a couple of hours looking at a kayak for the wife. Didn't end up getting one, and was bored to tears.
So what did we get? A couple of nice fleeces from the Henri-loyd both, $40.00 a piece and very nice fleeces. A couple of plastic covered aide- memoires from Nautical Minds, one on diesels and one on nautical calculations. a snatch block from Gearhuse.
We also ended up getting a steam cleaner for the house! How sad is that? You go to a boat show and your big purchase is a steam cleaner for the house!
Attended a lecture on Cruising the North Channel. The guy giving it had access to a microphone but didn't use it. My hearing is crappy and getting worse, so I didn't hear a thing. Bit of a waste of time for me.
Last thing I wanted to do was get an idea on how much an new 110% jib would cost me. All my sails are North Sails, so I went to their booth. Talked to a young guy there. he hummed and hawed and messed around. By that time (5:30 PM ) I was tired, my back was aching, and had very little patience left, So it was "yeah, yeah, bye-bye" Went to Doyle sails, and talked to an older guy. He didn't mess around. It was give me all the details and I'll E-mail you a price. Anyone know anything about Doyle sails?
Thought about going to the meet and greet, but between the crowds, and my back, my patience was long gone, so we headed home. Turns out there was construction on the Lakeshore, and it took us about an hour to get onto the Gardener Expressway. God I hate Downtown Toronto.
Old 01-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Boat Show review part one is posted.

Dock Six Chronicles: Toronto Boat Show 2013: It was Fun, Part 1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.