Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking inflatable PFDs on airplanes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
In Canada inflatables must be worn to be legit. Is that also true in the US?
I believe that is also true in the US. In our annual USCG volunteer safety check inspection; "In order for an inflatable PFD to be counted as a valid PFD towards requirements, it must be worn by the crew during inspection".

We always wear our inflatables in the dinghy, very comfortable. We have grandkids on the sailboat often so we wear our inflatables 100% of the time to at least set as an example. I am so used to wearing it that it is automatic like a seat belt in a car.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quick update here:

The Sunsail-provided PFDs are not great (although very new and clean). Although not stamped with a USCG type label (since we're not in the US), they are basically equivalent to a Type I PFD. And while I do not debate the necessity of having these aboard in these waters, they are so bulky (6" thick foam on the chest) and hot that they are basically unwearable in tropical weather unless extreme conditions compel you to do so.

Going on the theory that the best PFD is the one that actually gets worn, it would have been much better to also have more comfortable gear aboard. I will not hesitate to don these if we encounter a squall or other hazardous condition, but in general we are not wearing these in normal conditions. And after being so used to always having the inflatables on all the time, it feels a lot like driving without a seat belt. Next time I'll check a bag if I need to, and bring the inflatables along.

The dinghy situation is interesting. Over the last three evenings I have seen dozens of dinghies at the dinghy dock, and not a single one (except for ours) has life jackets aboard. I don't see any people carrying them around. I've seen people boarding and de-boarding, and none of them have them. People are dinghying to shore, including in darkness, without PFDs on the boat. It's surprising and disappointing. Maybe I'm just too idealistic. The Type I PFDs are way too big to fit into the mesh bag we brought, so we're leaving them on the dinghy and hoping nobody takes them.

Overall, the trip is going great, with a couple of interesting mishaps that I'll write about later. Our itinerary has been Road Town - Trellis Bay - Gorda Sound (Bitter End) - Marina Cay (where WiFi reaches the mooring balls). This morning my son has a rendezvous dive (and we have a service call to fix a bad starter wire - one of the mishaps), then we head through Camanoe Passage, quick stop at Monkey Point, and over to Great Harbour on Jost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 01-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Rick,

Sounds like you are having fun...safe trip

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a good trip.. we've noticed the lack of PFDs in dinghies amongst the cruisers of all nationalities all the way from St Martin to Grenada.. seems to be a cultural thing...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-09-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Cultural thing? You mean, like the way here in the US not so long ago everyone would taunt you and call you a nancy boy if you wore a PFD at all?

The USCG and others have spent decades convincing the US public that PFDs aren't such a bad thing. Culturally? Nah.
Old 01-09-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The dinghy situation is interesting. Over the last three evenings I have seen dozens of dinghies at the dinghy dock, and not a single one (except for ours) has life jackets aboard. I don't see any people carrying them around. I've seen people boarding and de-boarding, and none of them have them. People are dinghying to shore, including in darkness, without PFDs on the boat. It's surprising and disappointing. Maybe I'm just too idealistic. The Type I PFDs are way too big to fit into the mesh bag we brought, so we're leaving them on the dinghy and hoping nobody takes them.
When people go on vacation, they are in "Paradise", they tend to forget all their urban combat and street smart skills. Hey, we are in paradise, no bad thing ever happen in Paradise.
Minnewaska likes this.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

TakeFive, glad you are having a great time. We will be right on the heals of that itinerary in a few more weeks. Can't wait.

People really get in island mode down there, as you've no doubt realized. That includes be very lax about safety. Not saying its right.

However, I will acknowledge that I find the risk of dying from falling out of a dinghy in 80 deg water in a small harbor to be very very low. Unless, one is not a good swimmer. Way more than once, I've swum from the mooring all the way to shore anyway.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-09-2013

gbtillman is on a distinguished road

If you visit Louisiana most people are not aware of it but, the latest regulation is that anyone, regardless of age, in a boat powered by a tiller steered engine must be weating an approved PFD when in motion whether it is an inflatable PFD or not.
Old 01-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

In RI, everyone under the age of 13 must be wearing a PFD when the boat is in motion and they are above deck. We always followed it, but many don't.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.