Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Pressure cooker meals on board

I got a 6 Qt SS pressure cooker stovetop version for christmas. It works realy good. I would like to know how many of you use one on your travels and if you have any good meals for me to try? And ony unorthadox stuff you use one for?

Cheers,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Pressure cooker meals on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
I got a 6 Qt SS pressure cooker stovetop version for christmas. It works realy good. I would like to know how many of you use one on your travels and if you have any good meals for me to try? And ony unorthadox stuff you use one for?

Cheers,

Ha...whats a recipie

You can adapt lots of recipes that are usually done in pots or braising for the pressure cooker.

Many of the tougher cuts of meat work well in a pressure cooker. Its almost like braising meats. All stews and soups will. It crushes most vegetables so unless you eat the broth it will destroy their texure, color and and kill the vitamins. Root vegatbles do ok in it like turnips, potatoes.

Its a good all round pot to have on board and much safer to use of course when offshore with any weather.

Dave

Pressure cooker choice

The Two Pot Cook Off
ArmaniRG likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-31-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Pressure cookers great for boats, saves time (= stove fuel) and water, and with the lid on, hot liquids can't slosh out in rough conditions and scald the cook. We use it to cook beans and grains in half the time of a regular pot.

Some wonderful recipes here:hip pressure cooking - Pressure Cooker Recipes, Reviews and Tips! including a series on learning to cook with a pressure cooker and a variety of techniques, and quick bread you can make on your boat without an oven.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-31-2012

Ha,,,I was waiting foir Jaye to respond as I know you have some great recipes for the cooker.

You and Dan have a great New Year and enjoy our Maryland deep feeze and snow...as you havent seen it in two years or so

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-31-2012

Azzarac is on a distinguished road

I find veggies (non root varieties) do just fine in ours with an added step. You have to stop the cooking process with a quick release of pressure about 5 minutes before the main dish finishes. Add your selected veggies and bring the cooker back up to pressure. Then continue to cook the remaining recipe time and use the slow release method (natural cool down). As Chef said, if you have root veggies just cook them along with the main dish.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
Old 12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzarac View Post
I find veggies (non root varieties) do just fine in ours with an added step. You have to stop the cooking process with a quick release of pressure about 5 minutes before the main dish finishes. Add your selected veggies and bring the cooker back up to pressure. Then continue to cook the remaining recipe time and use the slow release method (natural cool down). As Chef said, if you have root veggies just cook them along with the main dish.
One of the most common mistakes made in cooking green type vegetables is using a covered pot or not cooking quickly. The chlorophyll in the plant needs to be released into the air otherwise it dulls the color of the greens. Greens should really never be close steamed. The best process for cooking greens to preserve nutirents, color and texture is to use an overabundance of boiling salted water and do it quickly

It certainly is ok to do it the other way and you will get an edible product, I am just giving you the way to get a superior result. How a restaurant cookes it vegetables and accompanyments is often a crtitical way to evaluate the diffrences between them.

I realize that this has nothing to do with pressure cooking, but if you have nice fresh green veggies,,,the best thing to do is get the most out of them. Usually they take a very short time to actually cook. If you have to put them into a pot with other stuff...put them in at the end of the process and DO NOT COVER IT.

Dave
T37Chef and wingNwing like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 12-31-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

stellar Dave
I am a chef at heart too so thanks for that tip I'm going to try some high sea salt boiling active water next time I do my greens and peace to you I also use a bamboo steamer btw~ had a Chinese girlfriend in Boston that motivated me in many ways I digress

By the way tomorrow is not only New Year's Day but my birthday~ yea Sailnet officially has an actual baby New Year

paz/peace
-JD
Old 12-31-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Happy birthday, Floridajax, and happy New Year to all of the sailnetters!

I don't have a pressure cooker yet, but have been thinking about getting one. Are the kinds you can find at Target or other big box places decent quality for marine use or do I need to look for one at a specialty store?
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 12-31-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

So....
Just where do y'all plan on keeping that huge pot and lid?
I'm having a hard time visualizing and selecting what cooking utensils I'll keep; let alone that large pot!
I can see now I'm gonna need more galley storage space!
Old 12-31-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

You can make VERY good bread right on the stovetop in a pressure cooker. It's specifically why I got one. I got the idea from Jean De Sud's circumnav video. Not only do you get good bread but a workout doing the kneading