SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pressure cooker meals on board

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  wind_magic 
#1 ·
I got a 6 Qt SS pressure cooker stovetop version for christmas. It works realy good. I would like to know how many of you use one on your travels and if you have any good meals for me to try? And ony unorthadox stuff you use one for?

Cheers,

#2 ·
Ha...whats a recipie;);)

You can adapt lots of recipes that are usually done in pots or braising for the pressure cooker.

Many of the tougher cuts of meat work well in a pressure cooker. Its almost like braising meats. All stews and soups will. It crushes most vegetables so unless you eat the broth it will destroy their texure, color and and kill the vitamins. Root vegatbles do ok in it like turnips, potatoes.

Its a good all round pot to have on board and much safer to use of course when offshore with any weather.

Dave

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/91123-pressure-cooker-choice.html

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/77296-two-pot-cook-off-5.html

Reactions: ArmaniRG
#3 ·
Pressure cookers great for boats, saves time (= stove fuel) and water, and with the lid on, hot liquids can't slosh out in rough conditions and scald the cook. We use it to cook beans and grains in half the time of a regular pot.

Some wonderful recipes here:hip pressure cooking - Pressure Cooker Recipes, Reviews and Tips! including a series on learning to cook with a pressure cooker and a variety of techniques, and quick bread you can make on your boat without an oven.

#4 ·
Ha,,,I was waiting foir Jaye to respond as I know you have some great recipes for the cooker.

You and Dan have a great New Year and enjoy our Maryland deep feeze and snow...as you havent seen it in two years or so:laugher:laugher

#5 ·
I find veggies (non root varieties) do just fine in ours with an added step. You have to stop the cooking process with a quick release of pressure about 5 minutes before the main dish finishes. Add your selected veggies and bring the cooker back up to pressure. Then continue to cook the remaining recipe time and use the slow release method (natural cool down). As Chef said, if you have root veggies just cook them along with the main dish.

#6 ·
One of the most common mistakes made in cooking green type vegetables is using a covered pot or not cooking quickly. The chlorophyll in the plant needs to be released into the air otherwise it dulls the color of the greens. Greens should really never be close steamed. The best process for cooking greens to preserve nutirents, color and texture is to use an overabundance of boiling salted water and do it quickly

It certainly is ok to do it the other way and you will get an edible product, I am just giving you the way to get a superior result. How a restaurant cookes it vegetables and accompanyments is often a crtitical way to evaluate the diffrences between them.

I realize that this has nothing to do with pressure cooking, but if you have nice fresh green veggies,,,the best thing to do is get the most out of them. Usually they take a very short time to actually cook. If you have to put them into a pot with other stuff...put them in at the end of the process and DO NOT COVER IT.

Dave

#7 ·

stellar Dave
I am a chef at heart too so thanks for that tip I'm going to try some high sea salt boiling active water next time I do my greens and peace to you I also use a bamboo steamer btw~ had a Chinese girlfriend in Boston that motivated me in many ways I digress

By the way tomorrow is not only New Year's Day but my birthday~ yea Sailnet officially has an actual baby New Year

paz/peace
-JD

#14 ·
Re: .

stellar Dave
I am a chef at heart too so thanks for that tip I'm going to try some high sea salt boiling active water next time I do my greens and peace to you I also use a bamboo steamer btw~ had a Chinese girlfriend in Boston that motivated me in many ways I digress

By the way tomorrow is not only New Year's Day but my birthday~ yea Sailnet officially has an actual baby New Year

paz/peace
-JD
Also my wifes Birthday day tomorrow too.

Shes not going off the cliff though she turns 60 ( I'm not there yet). so I have to hide the guns:):):):):)

#8 ·
Happy birthday, Floridajax, and happy New Year to all of the sailnetters!

I don't have a pressure cooker yet, but have been thinking about getting one. Are the kinds you can find at Target or other big box places decent quality for marine use or do I need to look for one at a specialty store?

#17 ·
I don't have a pressure cooker yet, but have been thinking about getting one. Are the kinds you can find at Target or other big box places decent quality for marine use or do I need to look for one at a specialty store?
Just get a good brand at Target or from Amazon online. The website I linked in post #3 above has reviews of various brands as well as shopping links.

#9 ·
So....
Just where do y'all plan on keeping that huge pot and lid? ;)
I'm having a hard time visualizing and selecting what cooking utensils I'll keep; let alone that large pot!
I can see now I'm gonna need more galley storage space! :D

#10 ·
You can make VERY good bread right on the stovetop in a pressure cooker. It's specifically why I got one. I got the idea from Jean De Sud's circumnav video. Not only do you get good bread but a workout doing the kneading:)

#11 ·
I have been using a pressure cooker sailing since 1973. I absolutely love the simplicity of a one pot meal, especially under way.
Basically, it will cook anything in about 1/3rd the time of a traditional cooking method. You can braise a pot roast or the like, add onions, potatoes or rice, put it on and add veges about ten minutes before the meat is done and you've a great meal. Any spices added with be infused into what you cook adding to the variety of meals. Makes great curries, chillies and soups.
Add the skinned, filleted fresh tuna you've just caught, rice, veges and onions; cook for about 10 minutes and your done.
One trick I learned in OZ was to add beer in place of some of the water as a tenderizer for gamey meats such as kangaroo. We could cut it with our forks!
Plus you are cooking in a pot with a top that won't fly off if you are in rough seas. Just keep the relief vent clean. We washed ours (aluminum) in sea water for over 20 years without problems.
Good luck and enjoy.

#12 ·
My pot is not very big. It’s like 5.5 or 6 Qrt. It does have a handle that sticks out but I can put some other stuff in the pot when not in use. It is stainless so it should like the boat better than most other metals. So from what I have heard “on topic” this Pressure cooker is like best for making Slushy type stews and soups? I am looking forward to trying some inventive meals on board. Maybe I will do some videos and share them. I just figured ya’ll would have some time tested meals that were great to try for a newby.
Happy birthday, Floridajax, and happy New Year to all of you guys.!

#13 ·
A pressure cooker can make perfect rice or pot roast dishes with no liquid residue. I know folks who can make decent bread in them and many other non-slushy meals, including deserts that are light and fluffy. It is basically a steamer, so work on that principle.
Ours came with a book that is right on, but it's in French so it's of little help to others.

#16 ·
I have been using one most of the time, for decades. Reduces the time for bean soup to 30 minutes and pea soup to 20 minutes. A bit of cooking oil on the peas and beans stops it from foaming and plugging the rocker. I wouldn't want to cruise without one.
Buy a copy of "The Bean Book " by Rose Elliot.

#18 ·
Happy Birthday Jax and Donna, and happy Old Year's NIght to all the sailnetters! Hope your 2013 is spectacular!

#19 ·
Thanx for the interesting tip on cooking greens, Dave. I'll try it next time we make kale, which tends to get grayish before it gets soft the way we've been doing it.

#22 ·
I use a pressure cooker daily, most of my meals are cooked in it.

Like others have said it is great for one pot meals and you can't beat the speed.

The best tip I can give anyone who cooks with a pressure cooker over a continuous heat source (wood stove) is to immediately put water in it and put it right back on the stove and let it heat back up, that makes cleaning it a breeze.

#25 ·
I bought a 2 liter Hawkins pressure cooker online for about $20. Works on the Origo alcohol stove. It is small so I can stow it easily. It is an Indian (south Asian) design and manufacture and comes with a recipe book for Indian food. The design has the oval lid seated inside the pot so the steam pressure tightens the seal. I bought extra seals and safety buttons(to release overpressure) Small, cheap and works well for two people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.