Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
We (family of 6) are on our 4th circumnav on our Hobie 17.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you use your boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
After reading 22+ pages on the thread about Production Boats, I have a question. What type of boat do you have and how do you use it? Do you have a Bluewater cruiser and do you cross oceans or do you have a Coastal cruiser and cruise up and down the coast?
So how do you use your boat?
We have a great 51 year old(Alden Challenger) coastal cruising sailboat. We've been coastal sailing for decades from the Exumas to nearly Canada on the east coast mostly with 2 kids starting as babies, now both in college. We decided long ago, that's how we like to sail, so looked for a boat to do that well.

We have a huge cockpit(you can sleep 3 on the benches and bridgedeck), large ports that make you feel part of the surroundings and supply tons of light below. Stuff like this is a joy sailing and at anchor for the typical(approximate) 30 days per season we've been on board for the last dozen years.

Small for 38' by todays standards, it's all boat and not much apartment. The two fixed pilot berths have been great for two kids and with the typical settees in the saloon, it's a great boat for an overnight or two, offshore, on the coast of New England(something we do occasionally). A small seagoing galley easily keeps a family of four well fed and happy for what we do.

It has decks wide enough to lounge on, and the decks are also our only "shower" with a hand held(there's no shower below).

We're pretty lightly equipped with no life raft and not a lot of electronics or blue water safety gear. I find coastal sailing liberating in this regard and our amenities are pretty few(and ice box works fine for us), but all we really want. We have lots of lockers that are not even near full, I love that.

Bad weather is avoidable going offshore for a night or even two today, with all the weather info at your finger tips(I think it is anyway).

It's a very safe old boat for our use and I especially enjoy keeping it safely equipped for coastal sailing while keeping it a simple, light, easy to sail and a comfortable boat for an overnight, a few weeks, maybe,....a few months.

What makes our boat such a great coastal sailing boat for us would make it a not so great boat for crossing oceans.

I'd look for a completely different boat(even though these boats have crossed many oceans), to cross oceans, and a completely different one again, to live aboard.
Old 01-01-2013

ambianceack is on a distinguished road

We have a 1979 34' sabre mk1 used mostly as a daysailer and coastal crusier in Nantucket and Block Island Sounds. It has a shoal draft with a drop down centerboard. We purchased the boat in April 2006 because it came with a helix mooring and mooring permit. In fact, it was the last year you could transfer mooring permits. Having ties to the great State of Maine I liked its traditional look and feel. Most importantly, it was within budget and we have a place to store it on the hard during the offseason for free or making home repairs for my in-laws. Primarily the cost is transporting the boat to and from the marina which averages about $800 per season. It is a good ol boat and we have learned a lot about making repairs and upgrades, with little to no access to the repair areas. I guess too small a boat, oh well...we are on the water right next to some who pay/paid a lot more for there vessel and crew with the same view!
Old 01-01-2013

H and E is on a distinguished road

I have a Catalina 25 that I sail most weeks on an inland lake. Last year I spent several nights on it when moved to other nearby lakes for a few days. Looking forward to more of that this summer and a trip to the gulf for a few days.
Old 01-01-2013

doug1957 is on a distinguished road

We have a Shannon 28, used for day sailing and coastal cruising in Maine for a few weeks each summer. Hope to go farther when we have the time.
Old 01-01-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I also have a Catalina 25; mine is moored (well, was and will be again) in the Piscataqua River, just north of Portsmouth Harbor.

I use it for (in order of actual hours spent):
1. Drive up after work on a weeknight and have dinner on the river.
1a. Try to get some work done on it (fail half the time!)
2. Spend the night onboard and watch the working boats go downriver in the morning.
3. Assemble a crew of 1-3 friends and daysail off the coast.
4. Fill the gas tank and motor upriver.

2012 was my first year with this boat; I didn't have her ready to sail until August and then an injury sidelined me for another 2 weeks, so I only got to sail her 3 times. When I write up next year's activity log I hope to have a much larger portion of time spent day sailing.

I also hope to add:
5. Overnight at Isles of Shoals.
6. Take my son fishing up and down river.
7. Cruise up to Casco Bay for several days.

I suspect that 'weeknight dinners onboard' will always be the majority of my time spent. I have this job/career thing that is keeping me off the water.

The C25 is a fine boat for the way I use it; I want (want, want, want) a C27 so my guests can enjoy standing headroom and I can get a propeller that stays submerged when the water gets choppy. The sad truth is that a C22 would be enough boat for the sailing I do most of the time: motor down the river, sail, motor back up the river. A Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37 is the boat for the sailing I want to do: lay in a store of breakfast bars and bottled water, steer the pointy end toward open water...

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2013
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

I have a coronado 27' i use it for every thing so far sailing around the bays around here plan on doing some ocean sailing next summer. Plan on livving on it in a few years. small boat but is going to be used for a lot.
Old 01-01-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I bought a US 27 at the end of the season and plan on day-sailing every weekend that I can this year. It will be moored behind my house and I have a "pirate" fleet of 4 other friends that all plan on some serious rafting and probably the occasional race to the coves of Prudence Island in Narragansett Bay. That is all for this year and then as experience is gained venture out of the bay at a safe pace in 2014 for some Block Island runs and such.

I am hoping to get my wife hooked and if the dogs cooperate I would love to try some overnights at anchor. I am concerned that the dogs won't take to it so we will play that by ear.

Bill
Old 01-01-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

We have a Catalina 310. We purchased it in Mobile, AL and took it to Destin Florida where I lived aboard for a year while working geographically apart from my wife. Spent 3-5 nights on the hook each week and sailed the Choctawhatchee Bay, Gulf of Mexico, and the GICW between Destin and Panama City.

This past summer I traveled from Destin, around Key West, to the Bahamas, then to Solomons Maryland going both inside and outside. We now use the boat as a weekend retreat in Solomons with plans for exploring the Chesapeake and up to New York in the summer and fall.

We hauled the boat for the winter to do a bottom job and spruce up the hull but next winter plan to keep her floating to day sail the occasional mild winter days we get in Maryland.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 01-01-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

We just bought a 1987 Irwin 38 CC, for the next two years or so the plan is to outfit and upgrade while sailing her as much as possible up and down the Chesapeake Bay (and maybe a little further).
Then go do the cruise/liveaboard thing everywhere we want to go.

I don't plan more than 4 - 5 day crossings so I guess you could call that coastal cruising if you call the entire coast of the America's your coast.

Xort (above) beat me to the punch with the family of 6 on a Hobbie 17 on the circumnav -
When I did the 'round the marble' I was on the Hobbie 14 and I did it single handed.
No really, I only had one hand back then.
ShoalFinder likes this.