Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012

steel is on a distinguished road
Displacement to (efficiency per ton) ratio at a given speed

Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but I was trying to figure out how increasing the size of a boat decreases the energy required to push it along, per ton.

If the displacement is increased by a factor of 8, that means that the surface area in the water is expected to increase by 4. So 8 times as many tons, and only 4 times as much energy to move it along. The energy used per ton is half (as long as the speed is the same.)

Doubling the speed should create 8 times as much drag. I'm not sure how having the speed approach the hull speed of the vessel affects that number. 8 times as much drag at double the speed means 4 times the energy used per distance traveled. So if the size is increased by a factor of 64, a vessel should be able to double her speed and only use double the energy per ton to maintain that speed. For power boats, arriving in half the time would mean that the miles per gallon per ton would be half, so increasing the size by a factor of 64 means that the miles per gallon per ton is the same, at twice the speed.

If a 1.5 ton 21' can go 6 knots with a 6 HP engine, then a 96 ton 84' should go 12 knots with 384 HP.

The prop gets less efficient at higher speeds, and of course for sail boats the sails would perform differently with that 5 knot difference in wind speed, but I don't know how to consider those things.

No wonder boats are so big, and little ones go so slow.

What is a more accurate way to do this calculation? My search didn't reveal any previous topic on this.

It seems that drag is actually less than 4 times as much with 8 times the displacement. The proper calculation is probably way more complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Re: Displacement to (efficiency per ton) ratio at a given speed

I seem to have lost my first answer. What you're missing is that only at very low speeds is the skin friction the driver in hull resistance. At the speeds most boats go at it's the wavemaking resistance that is the driver. A boat rides in a wave that starts at the bow and ends at the stern. The boat's power is used to push that wave. The longer the boat is the larger that wavelength and the faster the wave travels, so the faster the boat goes at a given power. If you put on enough power the boat rides over that wave and planes, and the resistance equations all change. For non-planing boats the speed of that wave is called "hull speed" which equals "SL" X (square root of the waterline length) where SL is the speed length ratio. That ranges from 1.1 to 1.4 and is most commonly expressed as a function of pounds per horsepower. Most you see 1.3 used which is about 550 lb/hp. This is largely empirical. A good discussion of this including semi-displacement and plaining hulls is chapter 2 of David Gerr's Propeller Handbook>
Lou452 likes this.
Cal-29
Old 12-31-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Most of the time you will find Your sailboat is a displacement hull. A few sailboats are not Displacement hulls. The bow wave will not be passed up. The stern wave is a distance from the bow wave. The larger LWL the more speed can be made before the two waves start to interfere with each other. The sailboat is not going to plan or (Surf) most of the time... This is your key search to understanding why a longer LWL means a faster boat for a displacement hull water must be displaced. SHEARCH WIKIPEDIA Hull SPEED Regards. Lou

Last edited by Lou452; 12-31-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2012

steel is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies so far. I don't want anyone to overlook that the hull surface area increases at the displacement ^ 2/3 power as displacement increases. If you drop a large rock and a small one the large one will fall faster through water or air even when both are the same density.

I know that going on plane or approaching the hull speed will change the linearity of the hull drag. In this case I am just thinking of displacement hulls which are being used under or well under hull speed when the mathematical characteristics of drag are most linear. I am thinking more about boats in excess of 12 tons or 42' which have long water lines to push the hull speed out to where it doesn't need to be worried about.

Last edited by steel; 12-31-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but I was trying to figure out how increasing the size of a boat decreases the energy required to push it along, per ton.

If the displacement is increased by a factor of 8, that means that the surface area in the water is expected to increase by 4. So 8 times as many tons, and only 4 times as much energy to move it along. The energy used per ton is half (as long as the speed is the same.)

Doubling the speed should create 8 times as much drag. I'm not sure how having the speed approach the hull speed of the vessel affects that number. 8 times as much drag at double the speed means 4 times the energy used per distance traveled. So if the size is increased by a factor of 64, a vessel should be able to double her speed and only use double the energy per ton to maintain that speed. For power boats, arriving in half the time would mean that the miles per gallon per ton would be half, so increasing the size by a factor of 64 means that the miles per gallon per ton is the same, at twice the speed.

If a 1.5 ton 21' can go 6 knots with a 6 HP engine, then a 96 ton 84' should go 12 knots with 384 HP.

The prop gets less efficient at higher speeds, and of course for sail boats the sails would perform differently with that 5 knot difference in wind speed, but I don't know how to consider those things.

No wonder boats are so big, and little ones go so slow.

What is a more accurate way to do this calculation? My search didn't reveal any previous topic on this.

It seems that drag is actually less than 4 times as much with 8 times the displacement. The proper calculation is probably way more complicated.
I suggest you get a copy of Skenes or another book on the fundamentals of yacht design. Part of your answer is in the law of mechanical similitude.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-01-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=steel;969481]Thanks for the replies so far. I don't want anyone to overlook that the hull surface area increases at the displacement ^ 2/3 power as displacement increases. If you drop a large rock and a small one the large one will fall faster through water or air even when both are the same density. QUOTE]

Didn't Galileo prove otherwise ? or am I missing something ?
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 01-01-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

If Skenes is a little too deep I'd suggest David Gerr's "the nature of boats" - it's a pretty thorough book that covers this and much more at a level that is easily understood.
As JonB said above it's about mechanical similitude - but also relativity.
For example, although wetted area and surface friction are critical to speed, so in fact is hull shape (not just a fine bow as opposed to a barge, but also length to beam and the overall under body shape).
ergo - You can't calculate the HP required to achieve hull speed without taking into account the prismatic coefficient (shape) of the boat.

Just going by displacement and HP (forgive me if I use sail power vs HP, this is SailNet not MotorNet) -

I've got a 20,000 pound Irwin 38 CC - Displacement to the 2/3 = roughly 48, and Sail Area (771 sq feet) to displacement (SA/D) = 16.7
Per D. Gerr, you multiply the two (48 * 16.7) and get 801 - so I'm slightly under - canvassed for 'good' performance.

For the die hard crowd:
We can also calculate the HP as a factor of sail power, there are numerous charts out there to do so, I'll just use the 'standard' of .02 HP per square foot at force four wind (13-15)
My Irwin 38 CC has 771 square feet of sail (100 percent fore triangle). So in a force four breeze I can expect the sails to generate 15.4 HP.
Thankfully force five winds produce twice the power

You can do the math backwards - 48 *16.7 = 801 sq feet of sail for good performance - 801 * .020 = 16hp

Here's the real life - at 2200 RPM she makes 6.3kts in 1 foot chop - and according to the RPM - HP charts about 20 HP - meaning about 16HP delivered to the prop (altenator loss and transmission loss take the rest).
Funny how math just seems to work out isn't it..
boatpoker likes this.
Old 01-01-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

Steel's maths seems wrong.
"If the displacement is increased by a factor of 8, that means that the surface area in the water is expected to increase by 4. So 8 times as many tons, and only 4 times as much energy to move it along. The energy used per ton is half (as long as the speed is the same.)"
If the surface area increases by 50% of the weight more or less, the drag component increases proportionately but not the energy to achieve a certain momentum which is proportionate to mass. Also the drag is partly friction but partly resistance due to the water displaced by the 2 dimensional forward plane. That will not increase just because of length.
"Doubling the speed should create 8 times as much drag."
Um no. I thought this was V squared not cubed. Sorry I didn't bother with the rest.
Old 01-01-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Steel's maths seems wrong.
"If the displacement is increased by a factor of 8, that means that the surface area in the water is expected to increase by 4. So 8 times as many tons, and only 4 times as much energy to move it along. The energy used per ton is half (as long as the speed is the same.)"
If the surface area increases by 50% of the weight more or less, the drag component increases proportionately but not the energy to achieve a certain momentum which is proportionate to mass. Also the drag is partly friction but partly resistance due to the water displaced by the 2 dimensional forward plane. That will not increase just because of length.
"Doubling the speed should create 8 times as much drag."
Um no. I thought this was V squared not cubed. Sorry I didn't bother with the rest.
Resistance DOES vary as the cube of speed - resistance and wavemaking aren't the same thing.

Here are the pertinent ratios from Skene for displacement hulls;

Speed varies as the Sq. root of LWL
beam, draft & length vary as the LWL
S/A and wetted surface vary as the Sq. of LWL
Disp. varies as the cube of LWL
Heeling moment of wind pressure varies as cube of LWL
Resistance varies as cube of LWL
Stability varies as 4th power of LWL
Moment of Inertia varies as fifth power of LWL
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-01-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I wonder, also, if underwater shape scales differently for large changes in displacement. For the same displacement, fin keels will have less wetted surface than full keels. However, is this a bigger factor with a 24' boat vs. a 42' boat?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.