Back ! - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-31-2012 Thread Starter

Back !

After a rather long absence... I have returned... TADAAA!!
Oh... nobody cares, lol... anyway, I am starting to look for a bigger boat, cheap! After looking around, I think I like the O'Days.. 22 to 26 ft. The Catalina and MacGregors of the same size are a close second/third. From there on, I am open. As long as it is complete and no Major damage, I am willing to do ALOT of work. If anyone knows of boats around please let me know. The closer to NM the better. Also would like to have some input from the community as to peoples' experiences with the afore mentioned brands.... good and bad... Thanks a bunch.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-31-2012

Re: Back !

I've always considered O'Days and Catalina in the same class and build quality. It's a shame O'Day went out of business as they made a decent boat. MacGregors are considered a low price point boat, more entry level.

Catalina 34
post #3 of 5 Old 12-31-2012 Thread Starter

thanks

Thanks, Chuck... . I have found a late 70s Oday22 for which they are asking 1500. I tapped around on the hull and it seemed solid. The deck has a lot of spider web cracks and a few stress cracks, but otherwise in reasonable condition. She has been stored out of the water in the New Mexico sun for 10 years plus/minus. The gel coat is chock... rubs off and will need a re-coating. Most of the hardware is present but can't tell about the standing rigging. I assume that Most of the running rigging will need to be replaced. The sails are present, but I don't know the condition. My question is should I pursue this, or is the price wrong. If it is reasonable, then I will do a more thorough check and see what else I can find out before I make an offer. Any suggestions in other things to check... like soft decks or soles?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-01-2013
Tartan 27' owner

Gnu,
1500 is a decent price for an O 22' IF it includes a working motor and trailer. OTOH if the sails are old or blown out getting brand new sails would cost as much as the boat, or more. Used sails could be found for considerably less.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-01-2013
Barquito

Just make sure is has the most expensive stuff that you need to sail (trailer, sails, motor). You can gradually upgrade other stuff (running rigging, old deck gear, etc) Otherwise, just do a complete self survey. Some tips from SN'ers:

How To Do your Own Marine Survey by a Marine Surveyor

The Importance of a Pre-Purchase Survey

Boat Inspection Trip Tips

Bristol 27
Cirque

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.