SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Foul wx gear + harness (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95421-foul-wx-gear-harness.html)

bobsaxet 01-02-2013 05:43 PM

Foul wx gear + harness

I'm new and I hope this is an appropriate question for this section. I plan to sail in the gulf this February. What is your advice / experience for combining foul weather gear and a harness? I have a manually inflatable life vest with a D-ring for the tether I could use. And I have a harness, but it won't fit over my foul weather gear; I can buy a 2nd, larger one if need be. I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on what the best combination of this equipment is. Thanks, Bob

jackdale 01-02-2013 06:35 PM

Re: Foul wx gear + harness

I always wear an inflatable pfd with harness D-rings. I can wear it with or without foulies. I just need to adjust the straps to get a good fit. Why would you need an additional harness?

bigdogandy 01-02-2013 06:50 PM

I agree with jackdale.....I also use an inflatable pfd with built-in harness that has enough adjustment in the straps to allow me to wear it over my foul weather gear if needed. In these frigid Florida winters there are literally dozens of hours where I need to wear foul weather gear.

Sorry - couldn't help myself.

luck66 01-02-2013 07:38 PM

I agree, an inflatable pfd with built in harness and a tether line are the way to go.

Cruiser2B 01-02-2013 07:59 PM

I have a Gill OS2 Jacket with a few layers underneath and wear harness. I find it very managable. I do not have a PFD with built in D-ring/harness. Its just a preference. I normally dont wear a PFD but rather my harness and I am always clipped in be it in the cockpit or moving about the boat.

algee 01-02-2013 08:55 PM

I have an inflatable PFD with D rings for a harness, and always felt very secure with it..... until I read about the sailboat "Wingnut", thatcapsized in a storm during the Chicago to Mac. race, kiliing the captain and a crew member. Now I have second thoughts, especially with an automatic inflating PFD.

KnottyGurl 01-02-2013 10:13 PM

I have both types onboard in pairs for wife and me both kids jackets have harness built in and are jackets.
Weather can help decide which set we wear

bobsaxet 01-02-2013 11:27 PM

Thanks folks!
Your answers are exactly the perspective I was looking for.
Cheers, Bob

smackdaddy 01-02-2013 11:37 PM

Bob, I do some off-shore racing in the Gulf. I always use an inflatable with D-ring. For me, it doesn't make sense to just use a harness and forego the floatation. I've always been perfectly comfortable.