Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: rain water entering bilge thru mast.

While the amount of water coming down that mast can be small over a couple of hours, add it up for months at a time and that small amount can be quite large. While putting a plug into the mast at deck level may work, but doing without the mast coming down doesn't seem possible. Thinking that maybe putting some tape above the several halyard openings on the port and starboard side of the mast. Seems like water running down the outside of the mast may be finding a pathway to the interior of the mast at those locations. Any thoughts on doing that to at least lessen the amount of water?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We had a couple of unused halyard exit slots on one of our rigs.. we covered them with sail repair tape the same colour as the mast.. it definitely reduced the amount of water finding its way into the mast.

Sealing the mast boot around the outside is not terribly difficult.. but dealing with, and esp preventing altogether, water that can find its way into the inside of the tube is quite difficult. I know those who have put dedicated catchments to try to keep the bilge dry, I've seen 'floors' inside the mast too, but as mentioned before wiring and internal halyards can interfere...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Minnewaska,

I have no doubt that you have a water intrusion problem .........

I'm thinking that that water in the bilge may be coming from sources other than the mast openings. Just a guess, though.

Hope you are able to find a viable solution,
I appreciate the concern Gary, but the boat is fully covered with a Fairclough cover. There is no other way in. The deck underneath is not even wet.

I do have a solution, as I mentioned above. I remove a thru hull near the base of the mast. I can go aboard and actually see where the water runs from the mast step to this spot and builds up a little bit in the corner of that compartment.

Whether it makes sense or not, this is where its coming from. As lancelot says, the ingress I reference above came in over the course of an entire winter, not one storm, not one week.

edit: here's what a Fairclough cover looks like for you warm southern boys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 01-05-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

toilet seal wax works wonders on may problems involving ingress of water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 01-05-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

We get enough water down the mast that the primary pump comes on about once a week (gallon?) during wet weather. There is no other source for water to enter the bilge (dripless seal). There are just too many openings for halyards, sheaves, etc to try and seal up. It's reassuring to see the pump counter has recorded another one, that way I know the pump is working :-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-05-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

If your boat is on a mooring and the wind keeps it pointed into the wind (where the tides aren't as great as in places like Maine), you wouldn't get that much water into the mast through the halyard holes (for internal halyards). However, when your boat is on the hard or in a slip, you will see variable amounts of water end up in your bilge, depending on the direction of the rain.

Plugging the holes with toilet wax sounds like a clever idea, but with the wind working the halyards or messengers over the winter, you are likely to see the wax seals fail. Taping the holes is probably a better solution, but it would require you going up the mast before and after winter storage.