Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Beating to windward

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
gentlemen NEVER sail to weather.
Ok then..... clearly I'm no gentleman!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

did my share of that beating into and thru storms bs--i prefer to sail my ketch without being beaten to death during my passage making.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
pointing is overrated. bashing into seas and winds sukks and is most uncomfortabkle, not to mention hard work.
gentlemen NEVER sail to weather.
Sailing upwind is nowhere near as uncomfortable as motoring to weather! Sure it takes more concentration, and effort, but a good helmsman can smooth the seas significantly. If you are bashing your way through the waves then you are probably not doing it right! So if you don't want to sail up wind, but the prevailing winds are coming from where you want to go, what do you do, go back to port with your tail between your legs, or man-up and sail?

Real sailors can sail up wind!
msmith10 and jameswilson29 like this.
Hull#101
Old 01-11-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i see many sailing boats motoring instead of sailing--i do not understand how folks can actually say they SAILED from one place to another--i motor sail, much of the time, but, puleeeze...is a lot more comfortable not trying to emulate a 747....

btw--i do not sail up wind nor up hill. i sail with the seas and winds usually, here on west coast. the trick--never sail north. north is a no no--uncomfortable and bashing type of travel--nasty.

seems no one tacks anymore???? why not just buy a motor boat and cruise on that....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 01-11-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

OP: The Lightning points higher than most dinghies of its type. It has a weighted CB, a hard chine, and the blade jib basically sheets at the mast partners -- radically inboard. But it's a poor choice for anything outside the breakwater, having been designed for Skaneatles Lake. Star is a horrible painbox & pedigree racer. You don't want one.

I suspect the boat for you is a moderate-sized swing keel boat. The Montgomery line perform well, as do the Precisions, & they are rugged enough for coastal if you pick your days. Frankly, it's hard to beat the Catalina 22 for what you propose. They have genoas and a slab-like keel, yet they point surprisingly well -- at least 5 degrees higher than our SJ21 in most conditions. Put some good sails on a C22, it will point high enough for your needs, promise. They are also quite roomy below for their size. Every time we take our San Juan to Catalina Island -- close reach or close hauled from MDR, usually -- I envy the heft and appropriateness the C22 for its eponymous crossing. Our SJ was built for protected waters in the PNW summer. A C22 has more margin built in. And it'll tack thru 90 or less in a much wider set of conditions. Really, they've built some 16,000 of them. They don't suck. I'd strongly urge you to cadge a ride on a C22 & see if it's a good fit. All-up towing weight is going to be 2700# or more, tho.
Old 01-11-2013

Arjen is on a distinguished road

Shortly after i bought my boat and started testing some on a lake where i would tack into the wind and then go back to where i started, i got a bit dissapointed that my boat would not do better than 50 degrees while maintaining speed. That is, 100 degrees difference between tacks on the compass. Leeway would add another 10 or so degrees to that. It didnt take long for me however to decide that while cruising i dont care too much. Indeed after 3 days of beating upwind and getting nowhere, i decided that from then on iīd be waiting for the right wind or motoring....
Then again, if i had a bout that could do 35 degrees or something without too much leeway and i would actually be able to get somewhere upwind, maybe i would actually make use of that and think different about it

Last edited by Arjen; 01-11-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

There are many factors involved in pointing ability. Sail trim is a large part of it, along with hull type. If the boat is a "pounder" it will make all attempts at sailing close hauled into any kind of sea very painful. If, however the hull is designed to cut through the sea, tacking upwind can be the most fun and very effective in getting from point A to B. It just takes some planning. That's what sailing is all about: making the sailboat perform. Waiting so you can sail on a run all the time? That's not sailing.
msmith10 likes this.
Old 01-11-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

If you don't sail upwind round here, you can't sail anywhere. On many occasions I've left harbour and beat to wind all the way out, and then the wind turns right around and I end up beating all the way home too.
Faster likes this.

Old 01-12-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

That is true for the Chesapeake Bay region, also. The Bay runs North to South. The winds are predominately light and out of the South during the summer, due to the Bermuda high.

If you wish to travel up or down the Bay, you will most likely be beating or running, with the occasional reach coinciding with a frontal passage or offshore tropical depression.

Rarely, however, will the wind be directly on the nose. Usually, there is a long tack to sustain hope, that if you can just be lifted a little, just a little, you will make it past that shoal/point/navaid/hazard, etc., and won't have to tack again and again.

Just to show how fickle cruising is, on my Delmarva circumnavigation, on the day following my best daylight day's run of 74 n.m. in 12 hours, Cape May to Still Pond, I had my worse day's mileage, beating directly into a light wind, against a foul current, past Poole's Island in a narrow portion of the Northern Bay, making it only from Still Pond to Rock Hall. It was still a much better day than almost any work day.
TomMaine and deltaten like this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 01-12-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2013

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhamlet View Post
CBinRI i'm with you, I love to go to weather. But let me tell you why some don't ( wife) It is wet with the spray coming back to you, its bumpy, the boat bucks, if the wind is cold it feels colder as you are now going into it with more speed. You feel like the boat is being pushed up hill, pitching ect. Why she likes off wind sailing more, it feels like you are being pulled to your destination less bucking/pitching it is less windy, more dry. So I can see it both ways. Maybe gentleman just don't like the feeling and us dogs revel in it. Who knows...

Brad
Lancer 36
Occasionally we have to put our preferences aside in favor of keeping our better halves happy. The wife has to be happy or we might have to find another hobby. And as I am usually behind the wheel (nice and dry) I understand that it is not necessarily the same for those on the rail.