Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Circumnavigators vs Mt Everest climbers

Something in the order of three quarters of all climbers that have ever been on Everest have done so in the last decade. It has become a real tourist destination.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Some of the pix I've seen of Everest look more like a dumpsite than a tentsite. There's a parallel between the sailing and mountaineering!
Actually, I disagree.
Of all the groups in the world I have seen theres none better for packing out trash, and keeping the environment clean than cruising sailors.

Yes, one or two will make a mess, but there's hundreds who leave an area cleaner than when they arrived.

We do a great job, much better than Everests Base Camp or the mountain itself. Cruisers should congratulate themselves and reinforce the good stuff on new cruisers and the few errant ones.
Minnewaska likes this.

Carl's Sail Calculator now at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I agree with you that sailors (in sail boats) tend to clean up after themselves... if it's convenient but I suspect stuff goes overboard when it's not. I was just referring to the general amount of land-originated debris like floating plastic bags left by humans that makes its way to equally remote places like the Pacific gyre.
Old 01-05-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I agree with Mark, base camp was deserted when I was there and my son and I looked for an hour or so trying to find a "souvenir" of some kind from a climbing party. Nothing, not one scrap of paper, rusty can, oxygen bottle. That was 12 years ago and I'm sure it's the same now. Much the same in the popular anchorages here in the PNW, it's rare to see any trash either on shore or floating. We pick up any floating plastic that we see, usually a water bottle (hate them) or two and maybe a grocery sack or something over the course of a month during summer. I think both groups do an excellent job.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-05-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Picking up trash on Mount Everest | SBS World News
Old 01-05-2013
Courtney the Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Wow.. that's quite the tent city there. The site's 'hot spots' aren't working for me, but the image is crystal clear.. amazing.

Good thing fewer people are cruising.. there'd be no room in the anchorages!
The hotspots gave me trouble too Ron. I found that if I put the cursor on the "line" rather than in the square the little hand symbol would show up if I was careful and then I could click on it.

Old 01-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

As the article smurphny posted confirms, 80% of all climbers ever on Everest were there in the last decade or so.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-05-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I wonder what percentage of circumnavigations have occurred in the last decade for the sake of comparison?
Old 01-05-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

I don't think that the reason less people circumnavigated than climbed the Everest as nothing to do with difficulty. It had to do mostly with available time and costs.

For climbing the Everest one can do it on holidays. For circumnavigating one had to stop working for almost a year, or more than a year if it is done with time.

Very few people have the time or the money to do it. And then we would have also to look at the number of people that would be interested in circumnavigate versus the number of people that would be interested to climb the Everest.

Today it is quite fashionable to climb the Everest

This way

"Nepalese organisations are picking their customers from the internet without any concern as to whether they are capable of the journey. I am anti regulation, but I think the Nepalese government has little choice but to ask tougher questions of would-be climbers in future."

Everest mountaineer says crowding by 'hobby climbers' is path to tragedy | World news | guardian.co.uk
smurphny likes this.
Old 01-05-2013
Courtney the Dancer

PCP- the elevation alone tends to weed out those unprepared and un-conditioned to make the attempt, although I know it is becoming more and more common for some who think they just have to pay the money and they'll be carried to the top. There is a luxury hotel just above Namche (11,000'?) where most of the guests are flown in from Kathmandu (most fly to Lukla at 9,000' and then walk, slowly). Many are flown back down with severe altitude sickness. We saw a couple of people each day on the trails being helped down because they were so ill. Generally it is the younger people that don't take the recommended time to ascend that have problems, they are impatient to get "up there". You never feel "good" above 15k, after a week of it we high tailed it back down.