Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Circumnavigators vs Mt Everest climbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I

Today it is quite fashionable to climb the Everest

Yes, now is a damn fk traffic jam worse that in NYC. The place is littered with gears, oxygen canisters and bodies. It is relatively sad.

I wonder when they will institute a rule for "pack in and pack out" with a $20MM deposit for the cost to recover your body in case you die.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 01-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Generally it is the younger people that don't take the recommended time to ascend that have problems, they are impatient to get "up there".
Just like motion sickness, altitude sickness can hit anyone. There is nothing to do with how strong you are.

Diamox 250 mg BID works well from 9000 to 13,000 ft. I am sure it will not work at the altitude of Mt Everest. I guess high dose of injectable steroid and descent are only viable options.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-05-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I wonder what percentage of circumnavigations have occurred in the last decade for the sake of comparison?
Pretty much the same, say 80% over the last 20 years when GPS was fully integrated into the cruising community.

I did half a one in 1998/99 and there were lots on the road then. I think it's been going up exponentially till the 2010/2011 pirate stuff, and will grow again when people realise South Africa is not too bad with sat weather.

Not withstanding the forum BS about how many did it on a log in the 1970's I think probably very very few did a complete circumnavigation before GPS.

If you think 80 boats are doing it each year today then in the 1970s I think Lin and Larry Pardy may have had 9 others completing it each year... So ten per year, perhaps? Even the round the world races then were only once a decade, or every 5 years and only had a few competitors.

There would have been a lot on the road at any one time, but few actually completing a circumnavigation in any particular year.

What do you think?

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I would not be surprised if the number of boats doing a circumnav has declined in the last ten years : 1. The sick economy 2. Threat of Terrorism 3. Increased Bureaucracy (owing much to #1). Some day I will decide to set off and do this but since the 2008 meltdown, cost is an issue as well as the uncertainty of the economy. Missing the Med because of the Red Sea problem is a factor and I can't help but think that clearing in everywhere must be more difficult.
killarney_sailor likes this.
Old 01-05-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Brain Damage

I've spend 30 years doing all sorts of climbing, all sorts of places. Some rock, ice, and mountaineering. I don't think I would consider Everest, judging from a few that have climbed it that I know, as enormously difficult and it was certainly well within my capability at my peak. I had the bucks to burn. I had one overwhelming reason not to even consider it:

"Neurologist Nicolás Fayed and his colleagues in Zaragoza, Spain, performed MRI brain scans on 35 climbers (12 professionals and 23 amateurs) who had returned from high-altitude expeditions, including 13 who had attempted Everest. They found brain damage in virtually every Everest climber but also in many climbers of lesser peaks who returned unaware that they had injured their brain. It seems that climbers of high mountains, whether weekend warrior or seasoned professional, face returning from the high peaks with a brain that is not in the same condition it was in beforehand."

Into Thin Air: Mountain Climbing Kills Brain Cells: Scientific American

----

Difficulty? One requires extreme fitness and parents with high altitude genes, the other great mental fortitude over a period of years. For me, Everest would have been far easier. Different.
smurphny and MarkofSeaLife like this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Wow. makes one think about even skiing at 12,000' up on the continental divide. I know it takes me a couple of days to get used to the thin air out in the Rockies. I guess we should just stay close to SEA LEVEL
Old 01-05-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Wow. makes one think about even skiing at 12,000' up on the continental divide. I know it takes me a couple of days to get used to the thin air out in the Rockies. I guess we should just stay close to SEA LEVEL
I like sea level too. Seems like that's where we evolved.

I've been on numerous climbing and sking trips in the US west to around 12,000 feet. Yup, it's best to spend a week hiking and hanging around at 5000-7000 feet first. I think 12,000 feet, for those that acclimate well, probably carries zero risk as the blood stays well saturated. That's enough for me. The view is nice.

I feel the same way about diving. I've had friends get bent, going deep for the challenge of it I suppose. They were smart people, but something went wrong (bad BC, helping partner, strong current, thermocline). I enjoy snorkeling just fine.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-05-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I like sea level too. Seems like that's where we evolved.
Well.... A few feet up in the trees.

It's an extraordinary article. The funniest bit was when they retested the subjects three years later none of them had been mountaineering since! Maybe they've all taken up sailing!

Old 01-05-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Denali is a harder mtn to climb than Everest. I know a few that have had issues up there. IIRC 1-10 death to survival vs everest at 1-100 or some such major difference.

Been to the top of Rainier, 14410, that was fun enough for me, along with a few other local volcano's in the 10-12K range.

I can see where in some cases, where the higher up you go, that brain damage can occur. Especially those that try to free climb with out oxygen above 18-20K'. Rainier at 14K did not effect me. Did it over three days, so was able to acclimate easy enough. But still came down with a head ache. Might have been fluid, bright sun, or an anema issue for all I know.

Marty
Old 01-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I'm hoping to visit Mt Everest on my circumnavigation and kill two birds with one stone
Get your boat up there and you will be a rockstar.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40