Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: AIS alarm

AIS only works. When the other ship has it. radar always works

Enough said.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2013
Banned

Enigma0 is on a distinguished road

>All ships over 300 Tonnes are required by International law to transmit an AIS signal every few seconds when under way.

How many commercial vessels are under 300 metric tonnes (662,000 lbs, 330 tons US)? Quite a few tugs, barge-pushers, and fishing boats. Maybe they'll have AIS, maybe they won't.

AIS may be helpful, but it can give a false sense of security, like most government nostrums. Don't anchor or sit in a seaway or channel - Exxon Valdez.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 01-05-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Are there radar units that will power up at intervals, take a look, check for traffic, then go to standby? Or must they be left on all the time?
There are many models out there which will do this. When on passage I have AIS alarms as well as a guard zone for radar and I have my Raymarine set up to wake up every 15 minutes to see if anything has entered my guard zone.
chef2sail likes this.

Old 01-05-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Hey, Rockdog, I just had a look at that website you posted in the original post. Those alarms are not what you want. They will beep with EVERY signal sent on the AIS frequency. There can be hundreds of boats about, most never coming near you. Each ship send out a signal every 10 to 30 seconds... S you don't want the thing going off all the time, just when a boat is gunning for you.

So you need a propper bit of kit. A receiver only, or a transponder. The Transponders start at $500. They are excellent. A receiver is only half what you want and if you are asleep the ship can't avoid you. With a transponder they will see you and divert or ring you on the VHF.
Mark, I totally agree with you. This one is a low budget one for those who has no dedicated AIS unit. It uses ordinary VHF radio, and picks up the signal from Channels 88 and 89 and trigger the alarm, quite primitive.

The Better option is get an unit like Rob [RocketScience] suggested above.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-05-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

It decodes and displays AIS information, can send that data to a PC, and also includes a CPA alarm.

The price is pretty cheap too, $330 or so.

Good luck,
Barry
I checked into the one you suggested. It seems workable to my need. The concern I have is that the CPA alarm is not very loud. It will not wake up if I was sleeping. I need one that can trigger an external siren. I am not sure if it has a way to do that. As I looked at the back panel of the unit, there is no external output for this function. I guess one can do this via a computer, but it will make it more complicated that it has to be.

I am NOT saying I will sleep when sailing thru the shipping channel or into New York Harbor, But I will sleep if sailing to Bermuda, Azores or UK. There is no other way around.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-05-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Right now I have an old Cobra radar detector I picked up for $15 bucks at a garage sale....it goes off almost every time another boat gets close.....my experience has beeen that way more boats have and use radar than AIS.

That being said, I am planning to get an AIS receiver and connect it to my chartplotter.....but that's another in a long line of projects to tackle and one of the benefits of having an older boat, right?
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 01-05-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Why do you have radar detector on the boat? Are there a lot of speed traps on ICW ? Damn, your boat must be sailing pretty fast. LOL

Fine Print:
Old 01-05-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Once again the electronic aids to navigation are being pushed over conventional good seamanship and personal responsibility. As Jackdale suggests, and I whole heartedly agree; there is no substitue for good watchkeeping. Rockdawg did not indicate inclement weather, just a lapse in attention.
We have 2 radars but they rarely are on except when vis is bad, and both Nikki and I can pretty much tell if a vessel is going to be a problem for us after a few minutes of watching it.
I love my chartplotters (I don't even carry a sextant aboard any longer) and all the "toys" definitely facilitate my sailing experience, but we rely on our eyes and common sense as our #1 tool for safe voyaging.
rockDAWG and chef2sail like this.
Old 01-05-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Notice the only people who slag off AIS do not have AIS?

It's laughable.

Some of you people really need to update your thinking.

If you intend to go offshore you should have an AIS transceiver NOT a receiver. And those that don't want either are just "speed bumps to ships".

Mark
rockDAWG likes this.

Old 01-05-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Once again the electronic aids to navigation are being pushed over conventional good seamanship and personal responsibility. As Jackdale suggests, and I whole heartedly agree; there is no substitue for good watchkeeping. Rockdawg did not indicate inclement weather, just a lapse in attention.
We have 2 radars but they rarely are on except when vis is bad, and both Nikki and I can pretty much tell if a vessel is going to be a problem for us after a few minutes of watching it.
I love my chartplotters (I don't even carry a sextant aboard any longer) and all the "toys" definitely facilitate my sailing experience, but we rely on our eyes and common sense as our #1 tool for safe voyaging.
No one here saying to should ditch good seamanship, that's a given. I welcome all the electronics to help me to a better sailor. I am human, I will make mistake sooner or later.

Often we turn off our AIS when entering busy harbor because it is too much distraction, we just rely on our eyes. At one time, when going into Inner Harbor, AIS screen showed a boat right in front to us. But there was nothing. Scare the sh*t of the skipper - accidental gybe .

Yes, I do trust my eyes.

Fine Print: