Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: AIS alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I agree with Jon.

Furthermore, AIS on a chartplotter screen will get very busy to to point of obscuring the hazrads, nav aids etc.. In the future a separate display will be needed.
What I like on my AIS enabled chart plotter is the projected course track extensions from the AIS targets. I set mine for 60 minute projection. I am continually amazed how I am picking up course lines across my virtual bow from fast moving freighters that are not within visual range. "Crap, where did that come from". Very useful. Some of these freighters are flying through the Sound at 22+ knots, typically RoRo's. Then there is the SEA / VIC fast ferry, 30+ knots.

I stay out of the traffic lanes as much as possible, but in the Puget Sound it is inevitable that you will cross these lanes a couple of times in any day trip.

I usually ignore the vast majority of AIS targets but keep a close eye on the projected course tracks of fast movers. It is really helpful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Having always had radar this year having AIS for the first time was a great addition. Right now I have it superimposed on the chartplotter, but can see where there will almost be too much data available. I was used to having on large screen with just the radar imposed over the chartplotter. With both it was too much in crowded areas and I found myself split screening to have the radar seperated.

Jon since you use both is that how you usually run it in crowded areas? Do you just run the AIS? Radar? at night or in fog? Crowded areas means also many different kinds of boats...pleasure as well as commercial.
On my own boat, my AIS is a stand-alone setup and pretty basic, I'm not able to integrate it to my plotter anyway, due to the insufficient baud rate (or some such mumbo-jumbo) of my older Simrad 44...

I think that ability is overrated, anyway... If you can't form the picture in your mind of the info AIS is providing, well...

No doubt I feel differently than most about this, but I don't even like the practice of overlaying radar on a plotter. Primary reason being, I always want the plotter in North-up mode, and the radar in Heads-up... Again, anyone who can't process the difference between the two at a glance, perhaps should take up another hobby... IMHO, running a plotter in heads-up mode is strictly for Sea-Ray drivers... (grin)

I definitely think we've passed the threshold of "Too Much Information" being conveyed or displayed in a single display - I think it's far safer to keep them separate, in that it better encourages the practice of keeping your eyes outside of the boat. Having so much disparate information crammed into a single display results in having to stare at it far longer in the effort to sort it all out, I think distinct displays are easier to interpret at a glance...

Akin to a bank of analog gauges set so that their "Normal" readings all point straight up, compared to a bank of digital gauges, each of which requires "interpretation" of the reading, in order to determine whether everything is "Normal", or not...

I know, call me a dinosaur... Just don't get me started on the piss-poor practice of interfacing autopilots to waypoints... Again, that stuff is best left to the Sea-Ray jockeys... (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 01-08-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

baud rate (or some such mumbo-jumbo)

call me a dinosaur... (grin)
OK, you're a dinosaur But probably, one heck of a great sailing dinosaur.
Old 01-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
On my own boat, my AIS is a stand-alone setup and pretty basic, I'm not able to integrate it to my plotter anyway, due to the insufficient baud rate (or some such mumbo-jumbo) of my older Simrad 44...

I think that ability is overrated, anyway... If you can't form the picture in your mind of the info AIS is providing, well...

No doubt I feel differently than most about this, but I don't even like the practice of overlaying radar on a plotter. Primary reason being, I always want the plotter in North-up mode, and the radar in Heads-up... Again, anyone who can't process the difference between the two at a glance, perhaps should take up another hobby... IMHO, running a plotter in heads-up mode is strictly for Sea-Ray drivers... (grin)

I definitely think we've passed the threshold of "Too Much Information" being conveyed or displayed in a single display - I think it's far safer to keep them separate, in that it better encourages the practice of keeping your eyes outside of the boat. Having so much disparate information crammed into a single display results in having to stare at it far longer in the effort to sort it all out, I think distinct displays are easier to interpret at a glance...

Akin to a bank of analog gauges set so that their "Normal" readings all point straight up, compared to a bank of digital gauges, each of which requires "interpretation" of the reading, in order to determine whether everything is "Normal", or not...

I know, call me a dinosaur... Just don't get me started on the piss-poor practice of interfacing autopilots to waypoints... Again, that stuff is best left to the Sea-Ray jockeys... (grin)
I always likened you to a Triceratops

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-08-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Ok - this a little off topic, but I understand you can send AIS data to an iPad and view it on a chart with iNavx.....can you do the same with radar images?
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry