SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   winching up the mast, (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95472-winching-up-mast.html)

AirborneSF 01-05-2013 03:36 PM

winching up the mast,

"Hi all"! I have a question, which would use to winch someone up the mast, 'mast' winch, or one of the 'sheet' winches, all of which are 'single' speed. The Dam# thing is somekinda hard to turn with a #140 guy on board. I'm ready to back the boat to the bulkhead and use the jeep winch. Thanks, Dave

Capt. Gary Randall 01-05-2013 03:58 PM

Re: winching up the mast,

hello there, I always use my mast halyard winches. On smaller vessels that have a one-to-one ratio it would be very difficult to lift the occupied boatswain's chair. what I have done in that case is spoool out the halyard through a snatch block then back up to the top of the mast using the other halyard. Making a two to one ratio on your lift.
be very careful of what you are doing and use a safety harness......CaptG

MarkofSeaLife 01-05-2013 04:03 PM

Jeep winch.

That way you can go downtown while the person is up the mast :)

But, yeah, if you can use the jeep winch and its safe, then go for it.

knuterikt 01-05-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirborneSF (Post 971352)
"Hi all"! I have a question, which would use to winch someone up the mast, 'mast' winch, or one of the 'sheet' winches, all of which are 'single' speed. The Dam# thing is somekinda hard to turn with a #140 guy on board. I'm ready to back the boat to the bulkhead and use the jeep winch. Thanks, Dave

I don't think that using the jeep winch is a good idea..

Use the largest winch you have on the boat - use some extra blocks to get a good lead to the winch.

Always use a second halyard as safety rope.

If the person you are hoisting help by "climbing" at the same time i gets easier.

I have made this to make it easier, you put it on a halyard and the climber use it as foot step. You lift it with your foot and the cleat grips the rope.
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...tClimber-2.jpg

sailak 01-05-2013 05:03 PM

I use the main halyard to pull a 4:1 block and tackle to the masthead. The bottom block is attached to the bosun chair, the running end goes back to a primary winch. The wife is able to hoist my butt to the mast head using that system.

jrd22 01-05-2013 05:52 PM

There are numerous threads on climbing the mast here on SN that cover the topic extensively. Personally, I use a climbing harness and ascenders on a dedicated climbing rope, no winch necessary.

AirborneSF 01-05-2013 06:03 PM

OK, I think the bigger 'main' winch is it, cause the mast winch is kinda small. I WAS kidding about using the jeep winch, much to powerful if something WERE to go wrong. The use of a couple of 'blocks', will/should make it easy. Thanks, all!

Faster 01-05-2013 07:30 PM

We've always re-led a halyard to the primary sheet winches, but have friends that do the same to the anchor windlass....

Lake Superior Sailor 01-05-2013 07:40 PM

It is always better to not be under the load!,So pick a winch away from the mast...Dale

Minnewaska 01-06-2013 10:10 AM

Get a 110v right angle power drill and a winch drill adapter. I've not done it myself, but seems like a cleaver idea.

The Cranker - a S.S. Sailboat Winch Drill Adapter Bit

Be absolutely sure to have a redundant halyard that the climber themselves can arrest an accidental descent. I like the prussic knot tied around a backup fixed halyard.