SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A family day... what do sailors do?

5K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  scratchee 
#1 ·
Thinking about and even taking some steps to get into sailing, my wife asked a question today that I did not have a good answer for. So I thought I would turn to the experts. We are a 50-something couple who live in Charleston, SC. Our married son with 3 kids also live here. The grands are 9, 5, and 2 years old. So today "grandma" asked, "so what would a day of sailing look like for us all as a family?" Now Charleston is probably about as diverse a sailing environment as one can imagine. We have the harbor, lots of things to see around the shore of the harbor, fort Sumter, and other historical things to visit, the ICW, and several barrier islands that are quite close. But to be honest I was not able to draw a picture for grandma of what we would do with a day on the boat and 3 little ones. So let me ask those who sail with children/families. What does a typical Saturday or Sunday outing look like? How do you keep children occupied/engaged beyond the first 30 minutes that they may be content to wander the boat? I would like to hear from any families who sail together anywhere but it would really be neat to hear form some Charleston-based folks in terms of an average day's itinerary with the fam. Thanks.

#37 · (Edited)
FWIW (not to divert the thread)

The kids life jackets in my pic are a great product. Very hard to find anything better. The downside is that you have to order them from the UK. Well worth it. There is a toddler version that guarantees to flip a child face up even while wearing soaked diapers (nappies as they say in the UK). Well tested and verified through LIFEBOATS association.

#40 ·
Spelled wrong or typo? UM :confused: For the record...Worton Creek :)

I am definitely the better looking one, but he forgot to mention I am also the better sailor! Bawahahahahaha:D

I am sure it is confusing for many, similar screen names, we both keep our boats on the same creek, and soon we may be at the same marina, or should I say yacht club? :rolleyes:

#41 ·
Our son was sailing at 3 months old. Car seat sitting in the cabin floor. The Older he got was teathered to boat with lanyard and harness. We crabbed,fished,watched sunrise, sunset, approacing storm clouds. He is now 26 with his own sailboat. He has made two trips from Delaware to the bahamas and back, currently in the Bahamas. Show them all nature has to offer. However, not everyday will be paradise. Be patient.

#42 ·
Wow. Thanks folks. So many ideas. I saw a couple Charleston ideas as well. I am encouraged and probably need to look for a bigger boat. But to Charleston folks what are some preferred and weekend reachable destinations? Aren't there some barrier islands off the harbor? Where does one go to get off the boat for those beach walks? And at the risk of sounding wimpy what of shark and alligator reports that I hear? Urban legend?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.