Retractable Bowsprit DIY - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 42 Old 01-15-2013

Re: Furler for Asymmetric and Code 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post

The Facnor system use a central furling line attached half way up the luff going to the torsion stiff rope. I have no experience with the top down furler - but I will try next summer (I only have to disable the top swivel with a dyneema lashing to convert)

Just curious, how would one "disable" the top swivel to convert your present system to a top-down furler?

Seems to me the only way these top-down systems work, is to have the dedicated bottom furling drum, where the tack attachment swivels independently of the torsion line... What am I missing, here?

Nice looking boat, btw.... What is she?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 42 Old 01-15-2013

Re: Furler for Asymmetric and Code 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Just curious, how would one "disable" the top swivel to convert your present system to a top-down furler?

Seems to me the only way these top-down systems work, is to have the dedicated bottom furling drum, where the tack attachment swivels independently of the torsion line... What am I missing, here?
On the Facnor AFX system there are two swivels
Top swivel is kind of strange
The torsion rope is fixed at one end, at the other end the halyard is attached, allowing the torsion (anti twist) rope to turn without turning the halyard.
The head of the sail is attached to a dyneema strop that rotates on a bearing on the outside of the swivel housing.
So when you furl, the torsion rope is turning but halyard and head of sail is standing still.

At the tack end the torsion stiff rope is fixed to the furling drum, so it rotates when the drum is operated.

The tack of the sail is attached to a dyneema strop that rotates on a bearing on the furler drum (same as head).

The asymmetric has a thin dyneema line attached to the luff - mid height (central furling line) that is also attached to the torsion stiff rope.

So when you furl the sail the dyneema line is furled and the sail is furled from mid luff.

So if I prevent the head attachment from swiveling I have the same top down system as Selden, Bamar and others use, just interested to find out what works best (w/o buying new kit).

Documentation here http://www.facnor.com/uk/technical_s...ns_2012_uk.pdf

Tack of the asymmetric

Head of the asymmetric

Tack of the Code 0

Head of the code 0 with the standard top swivel.

Furler in the position used for the Solent jib

Maybee video's is better

Facnor ASYM-FX (at 0:27 you can spot the central furling line)

Bamar top down furler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Nice looking boat, btw.... What is she?
Beneteau First 38

Last edited by knuterikt; 01-15-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added more pictures
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.