Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: docks on ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
To be sure this debate doesn't get off track, the references to the homeowner showing up with a gun are hyperbole (exaggerated statements or claims to make a point, but not meant to be taken literally).

The point remains, most homeowners would be upset to find a squatter on their personal dock and no one is aware of a law that permits it. If you had an emergency, tied up and walked up the yard to explain and ask permission, I'm sure most would be fine with it for the night.
Agreed...While it has never happened I would be happy to offer any assistance I could. I am at the end of a protected cove so it is more likely to happen to a house closer to the inlet anyway and there are gas docks that would be the more logical choice in a pinch.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2013
captrice

captrice is on a distinguished road

There will always be situations where emergencies do come up but a common courtesy (as Minnewaska said) is to put yourself in the other persons shoes. Most people respond to someone asking for help in a positive manner.
Old 01-08-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

WTF - first moorings and now docks

I have been up and down the ICW and there is NO rule, law, or custom to just grab a spot at someone's private pier. These things are expensive private property. I once had to pick someone up from a cove with no public access, so they found a waterfront house and rang the bell. The owners were happy to help and sent them down to the dock and mentioned they had a 12 gauge for the people that DIDN'T ask
Old 01-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Yes the water policeman that ranted and raved at me didnt do much for my opinion..... Actually it did... It totally changed my opinion. 6 months in the States and every official nice, courteous, efficient, knowledgable etc etc etc.... And one wanker obviously on the take from the big house owners on shore. A total discredit to the police profession, and Florida.
It they walked into the Hilton Hotel and started abusing foreign tourists like that the cops ass would be grass.

Sadly, it's never a surprise, to encounter an overly aggressive law enforcement officer on the water in Florida...

Can you offer a bit more detail, where did this happen, exactly?
Old 01-08-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Um, I have a legal, registered and permitted dock - and no, you may not tie up to it without my permission.
Along with that dock comes liability - you aren't paying my insurance (or taxes).

Having said that, I've never turned anyone away and often invited strangers with motor problems etc. to tie up.

I'd not shoot anyone who was squatting (unless they were obviously armed and belligerent), but I would have no problem cutting their lines at 2am and walking the boat out.
Old 01-08-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I can't imagine very many people would just open fire on a stranger at their dock, but in many rural parts of the country a 12 gauge is going to be on hand when going to check out trespassers. Or even worse, Buffourt T. Justice and Boss Hogg decide to have themselves some fun and see how much money they can get for your "impounded" boat
Old 01-08-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

champlain-
Next time you see that fellow who gave you that priceless advice, take him out for a cup of coffee and a jelly donut. Squirt a couple of bottles of crazy glue into the jelly center, and when his teeth get stuck, you tell him you think THAT'S funny too.
And you'll do the world a public service by stopping his myths.

Hey, yeah, I heard there's free RV parking in the Rose Garden for first time voters, too.
Old 01-08-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
To be sure this debate doesn't get off track, the references to the homeowner showing up with a gun are hyperbole (exaggerated statements or claims to make a point, but not meant to be taken literally).

The point remains, most homeowners would be upset to find a squatter on their personal dock and no one is aware of a law that permits it. If you had an emergency, tied up and walked up the yard to explain and ask permission, I'm sure most would be fine with it for the night.
I don't know about that, I would not make that assumption in Florida as they seem to revel in their sand your ground statue. You certainly would not want to have a bag of skittles in your hands.

I think that even if the "law" were to allow it, it is using someone elses property and permission should be granted. Funny how protective people get about there property even though they knew it would have people traveling along it when they bought it. I have never felt that way, and around here we have the Appalachian Trail, and I have some friends who live on the trail, and one thinks it is great to get to meet and talk to all the people walking along the trail and has a permanent structure set up with water so they can stop and clean themselves up and get a drink. I bet she invitees someone in for dinner two or three times a week. Granted she is a bit of a lonely old lady. While someone else I know is bothered by all the people walking through "her backyard" even though they knew about it before buying the house.

We had a trail head next to our old house and had lots of folks walking by. Never ended up with someone using our facilities, but frequently had people walking buy and waving hello. The 4 wheelers and motor cycles were a bit annoying but oh well, even though they were not allowed on the trail. They were gone soon enough.

So I guess it takes all kinds.
Old 01-08-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

And then there are hot air balloonists, who have figured out that they're gona trample somebody's yard wherever they come down. So they pack two bottles of champagne on each flight. One for themselves, the other to be promptly given as a peace offering to the "trample-ee".

"Hello, sorry to bother you, but we have all these prime steaks defrosting and really need to barbeque them NOW. Would you mind joining us?"
Old 01-08-2013

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road

In NC, there are probably hundreds of docs with 'for sale' signs... you could say you were just taking a look at the property.