SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Carbon fiber (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95534-carbon-fiber.html)

Slayer 01-08-2013 06:56 AM

Carbon fiber

Was visiting a family member's shop. Part of the work he does is salvage deteriorated pipes/drains by wrapping carbon fiber inside or outside the existing pipe, essentially molding a new pipe. He handed me an aluminum can wrapped with a couple of layers of the carbon fiber and challenged me to crush it. It had become an indestructible rock. Amazing stuff!!

HobieSailor 01-08-2013 12:38 PM

Re: Carbon fiber

Why carbon fibre rather than something like fibreglass? I would think it'd be a fair bit cheaper, and I wouldn't think you'd need that much strength/weight savings in something like a drain pipe. Carbon fibre is pretty cool though. Just kind of curious.

Philzy3985 01-08-2013 01:05 PM

It is great stuff. Isn't the risk that carbon fiber is designed to take loads in certain directions, but not all directions? I've heard about carbon fiber bicycle frames snapping like twigs because the force came from an unexpected direction. The other problem, aesthetically, is that it yellows when left in the sun. (I've seen this on Porsche GT's, and when people replace hoods and spoilers on their cars with carbon fiber versions.) Also, they make carbon fiber surfboards now, although they're black, and in the sun, surf-wax cannot stay on them due to the heat.

SchockT 01-08-2013 01:38 PM

Just like with fiberglass, you can get different weights and weaves of cloth. If a carbon build lacks strength in a certain direction it is the fault of the layup, not the material used. The advantage of carbon is it's high strength for a given weight. Builders who use carbon are doing so to achieve the strongest, lightest structure possible. It is no uncommon to build a bit too light, and have a failure.

Carbon is still pretty expensive, so I can't imagine why anyone would use it to coat pipes.

CalebD 01-08-2013 02:06 PM

I bought myself a carbon fiber 'cello. It cost almost as much as my old boat ($4K).
It looks great (nearly black), sounds great, is nearly indestructible, light weight and is impervious to humidity. A great use of a technology developed in the pursuit of making weapons.
If I ever manage to break or crack this 'cello I can repair it with epoxy.

Slayer 01-08-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HobieSailor (Post 972509)
Why carbon fibre rather than something like fibreglass? I would think it'd be a fair bit cheaper, and I wouldn't think you'd need that much strength/weight savings in something like a drain pipe. Carbon fibre is pretty cool though. Just kind of curious.

I guess His company deals with serious stuff, including nuclear power plants and other energy plants. I can't answer your question, but I cut and pasted this from his company's website:

"Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer

A more recent technology is now available that can increase the life cycle of components and structures, while significantly reducing the economic burden normally associated with repair or replacement options. This technology is known as “Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymers” or CFRP.

CFRP utilizes carbon fibers and high strength epoxy resins to restore or enhance the structural and or pressure boundary capacity of pipe and structures. This process utilizes the high strength of the carbon fibers to add additional structural capacity to the existing component.

The material condition of the component determines the orientation of the fibers to add strength in the direction of static and or dynamic loading. The repairs to the affected items are performed in-place and completed during relatively short durations. Small crews perform the work and can do internal strengthening with access as small as a manhole. The technology and engineering associated with CFRP repair methods provides an effective mechanism to rehabilitate structural steel, concrete, pressure piping, storm drains, potable water piping, pumps, heat exchangers, water boxes, bridges and numerous other items while minimizing the cost typically associated with direct replacement. CSI utilizes a CFRP repair system known as “C-Wrap” to internally and externally wrap pipes in commercial and industrial environments."

sailortjk1 01-08-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchockT (Post 972529)
Carbon is still pretty expensive,

I was recently in a Glass Shop talking with a buddy who works in one of the major boat yards in the area.
We were talking about bi-axle glass and glass mat as he was showing me large spools of the different materials.
I saw what I knew to be Carbon Fiber Cloth on two of the rolls, I asked about it and he simply said, "You do know that you are looking at over $10K worth of materials."

deltaten 01-08-2013 06:35 PM

I wanna CF guitar; but I sure don't wanna pay the $2000+/- going rate! :eek:
Smaller pieces, lighter product and thinner sections are the shiney bits of CF

dacap06 01-08-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 972536)
I bought myself a carbon fiber 'cello. It cost almost as much as my old boat ($4K).
It looks great (nearly black), sounds great, is nearly indestructible, light weight and is impervious to humidity. A great use of a technology developed in the pursuit of making weapons.
If I ever manage to break or crack this 'cello I can repair it with epoxy.

Caleb,

Does your instrument look and sound anything like those black and white violincellos that The Piano Guys use? Those 5 make great videos!

CalebD 01-08-2013 10:28 PM

Tom,
My CF 'cello is a Quintus brand that looks something like the ones used in this video:
The nut on my 'cello is a more traditional scrolled affair with pegs.