Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Changing Oil - an easier way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
My powerboat has a fitting that replaced the drain plug with a hose connected. The other end of that hose has a fitting that can be connected to a vacuum pump to suck out the oil. I connect it to the Moeller version of the suction pump, pump a bunch of strokes and it drains the whole thing. It's obviously important to periodically inspect that hose.
This set up is on my spring commissioning list. I just received the package with the brass elbow that replaces the drain plug and the hose. They've always worried me a bit, as any break in the hose or leak in the fittings could put the entire contents of the drain pan in the bilge while underway.

However, my engine is canted back with the dipstick in front. I can not extract all the oil through the dip tube and am having issues with turbo, which I've learned does not like dirty oil. At best, I can only retrieve 80% of the oil through my dip tube. This new set up will get it all.

Can't wait to climb in there and see how contorted one must be to even install the thing!
Bene505 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2013

tonytheboat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspooner View Post
As I wait for brighter and warmer days I've begun pre-season maintenance and upgrades to my boat. My Yanmar 2GM sits very low in her bilge and although I'm sure there is a drain plug in the oil pan there is no way to locate a container under the pan to contain the drained oil. The boat came with a manual vacuum pump where you insert a tiny (about 3/16") hose through the dipstick hole and stroke for an eternity. I'm never satisfied that I got all the old oil out as the drain hose is quite stiff with a perpetual curl in it and I doubt that the end of it ever really touches the bottom of the pan. Other than draining the oil directly into the bilge and pumping it from there does anyone have any suggestions for a more efficient and cleaner method to extract the used oil. There's gotta be a better way!
hello try this warm up engine, untill oil goes thin, pump out all you can by your normal methoed , go out buy a cheap sack of nappies and spread under engine, open drain plung slowly and let it drain onto nappies, change nappies as needed, after the oil has stopped remove plug and rub thumb across it to see if theres any metal bits , if not replace plug ,and engine oile and filters priming them with fresh oil, rembering to replace / recheck oil start engine and check for leaks,no leaks, swithch off, clean up and have a beer in the cockpit and enjoy ,:
Bene505 and tspooner like this.
Old 01-10-2013

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

"They've always worried me a bit, as any break in the hose or leak in the fittings could put the entire contents of the drain pan in the bilge while underway"

You're concern (which I share) is justified. If that hose breaks while underway, the likelihood of destroying the engine is high. The hose on mine is very thick walled which also prevents it from collapsing under vacuum.
Old 01-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

I know the Moeller pump gets great reviews, but they have one big drawback, for me... If you're off on a extended cruise during which you'll be changing oil, that's an awfully bulky item to have to tote around on a smaller boat...

I've been using a 12v pump made by Quik-Drain for years, it's been great... Unfortunately, the company is no longer in business, but you might still find some laying around at some vendors... Or, Harbor Freight sells a small 12v fluid pump for around $30, one of those would do the trick, as well...

My Perkins has a dedicated tube out of the sump for changing oil, don't know why more manufacturers don't do something similar, so my system is permanently installed, all it takes is flipping a switch... Agree with the others who are nervous about replacing the drain plug with a hose fitting, if you're gonna go that route, be very careful and go with a top quality hose like Aeroquip, and make certain there's no possibility of chafe, etc...
Old 01-10-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
I've got one similar to the moeller from Griot's and love it. 5 or ten pumps and you have enough vacuum to drain the oil. The first oil change you will be glad you spent the money. Mine gets a lot of use. On the boat I use it for engine oil and transmission fluid changes. On land I use it for auto transmission fluid, power steering fluid changes etc. I've had the thing for 20 yrs now.
I have the one from Griot's as well. The version I have was designed for brakes, but works on any fluid. I cut off the end that was suppoed to go on the bleed nipple as it never sealed well anyway. The only difference is that it does not hold quite as much.
Old 01-10-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This set up is on my spring commissioning list. I just received the package with the brass elbow that replaces the drain plug and the hose. They've always worried me a bit, as any break in the hose or leak in the fittings could put the entire contents of the drain pan in the bilge while underway.

However, my engine is canted back with the dipstick in front. I can not extract all the oil through the dip tube and am having issues with turbo, which I've learned does not like dirty oil. At best, I can only retrieve 80% of the oil through my dip tube. This new set up will get it all.

Can't wait to climb in there and see how contorted one must be to even install the thing!
I have a similar set up on my Universal M-25. EVERY M-25 that I have ever seen has this as well. Mine is original (circa 1986). No leaks, or issues.

If I were to install / replace, I would disconnect the shaft coupling bolts, and the TOP nuts on the motor mounts. I would then insert my trusty Honda Civic scissors jack under one of the mounting brackets, and lift up the engine. This shouldn't be that big of a deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 01-10-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I know the Moeller pump gets great reviews, but they have one big drawback, for me... If you're off on a extended cruise during which you'll be changing oil, that's an awfully bulky item to have to tote around on a smaller boat...
Yup, the size is THE one issue with this product, it sure works great. I leave it in my dock box but extended cruising would be a challenge.
Old 01-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
"They've always worried me a bit, as any break in the hose or leak in the fittings could put the entire contents of the drain pan in the bilge while underway"

You're concern (which I share) is justified. If that hose breaks while underway, the likelihood of destroying the engine is high. The hose on mine is very thick walled which also prevents it from collapsing under vacuum.
It also occurs to me that I will retain the original drain plug and keep a full supply of oil aboard. If she fully lets go underway, the odds are high or destroying the motor. But if I found a serious leak prior to leaving anchor, at least I could recover.

The hose seems like the highest failure point. It is a heavy black hose, but I'll be nervous about it drying out from the heat over time. Maybe some silicon from time to time. I suspect it will be a 5 year wear item.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-10-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It also occurs to me that I will retain the original drain plug and keep a full supply of oil aboard. If she fully lets go underway, the odds are high or destroying the motor. But if I found a serious leak prior to leaving anchor, at least I could recover.

The hose seems like the highest failure point. It is a heavy black hose, but I'll be nervous about it drying out from the heat over time. Maybe some silicon from time to time. I suspect it will be a 5 year wear item.
I originally thought of putting in a system through the drain plug also. Already though I have enough thru-hulls, crappy bilge pump systems, and other boat bits that keep me up at night. At the end I went with the manual pump out through the dip stick method. Simple, I really need much more simplicity throughout my boat.
Old 01-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
I originally thought of putting in a system through the drain plug also. Already though I have enough thru-hulls, crappy bilge pump systems, and other boat bits that keep me up at night. At the end I went with the manual pump out through the dip stick method. Simple, I really need much more simplicity throughout my boat.
I previously agreed with this approach. However, I can't get enough oil out the dip tub, due to the canting. Therefore, my turbo is acting up. If the turbo wastegate hangs up in the closed position, I am equally at risk of blowing the motor, not to mention the $3k turbo even if I catch it early enough.

I'm just going to have to monitor this new exposure. I've always been very good at checking the motor prior to departure.

Jeanneau 54DS