Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Changing Oil - an easier way?

Synthetic oil? I do not have a diesel engine in my boat but one of my cars is a turbo Saab. Remember them? Ha! The high temps at the turbo "require" synthetic oil. I change oil in the "fleet" about every 5000 miles. The Saab is the only one that gets synthetic oil. If the color of the old oil is an indication of its condition, the synthetic looks much, much cleaner at changes than the petroleum based oils. Engine condition contributes to the oil's life but the 1999 Saab has over 200K miles on it and that doesn't seem to have made the difference. The Saab gets used harder than the other cars, too.

After the initial 50 hour break-in of my Moyer A-4 rebuilt, I replaced the oil with Mobile-1. Most of it that is. It is hard to get all the old oil pumped out. If longevity of oil is a small boat cruiser's "problem" I am thinking that synthetic will last longer than "regular" stuff. I am curious about the condition of the "new" oil in my little engine. I guess I could change it prematurely to see. It only has one season's hours on it (12 hours) so I am reluctant to do a change yet. I suppose I could pump it out and put it back to satisfy my curiosity? Or use it in one of the cars?

Anyone using synthetic oil?

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Synthetic oil? I do not have a diesel engine in my boat but one of my cars is a turbo Saab. Remember them? Ha! The high temps at the turbo "require" synthetic oil. I change oil in the "fleet" about every 5000 miles. The Saab is the only one that gets synthetic oil. If the color of the old oil is an indication of its condition, the synthetic looks much, much cleaner at changes than the petroleum based oils. Engine condition contributes to the oil's life but the 1999 Saab has over 200K miles on it and that doesn't seem to have made the difference. The Saab gets used harder than the other cars, too.

After the initial 50 hour break-in of my Moyer A-4 rebuilt, I replaced the oil with Mobile-1. Most of it that is. It is hard to get all the old oil pumped out. If longevity of oil is a small boat cruiser's "problem" I am thinking that synthetic will last longer than "regular" stuff. I am curious about the condition of the "new" oil in my little engine. I guess I could change it prematurely to see. It only has one season's hours on it (12 hours) so I am reluctant to do a change yet. I suppose I could pump it out and put it back to satisfy my curiosity? Or use it in one of the cars?

Anyone using synthetic oil?

Down
Be careful with synthetic oil in the Atomic 4. The oil is not only used in the engine but also the transmission, and slippage has been reported due to synthetic oil usage. Don Moyer recommends against which is enough for me to exclude it.
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 01-12-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Thanks,

Down
Old 01-12-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
"They've always worried me a bit, as any break in the hose or leak in the fittings could put the entire contents of the drain pan in the bilge while underway"

You're concern (which I share) is justified. If that hose breaks while underway, the likelihood of destroying the engine is high. The hose on mine is very thick walled which also prevents it from collapsing under vacuum.
Couldn't you find a shut off(like a sea-****) to the fitting? Just open it for draining, otherwise keep it closed. Would take a lot of the anxiety out of it I'd think, no worries about vacuum either.
Old 01-13-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road

Yanmar market their own oil, which is mono grade mineral SAE 30 or 40.
Here in Oz it is very expensive and in winter it definitely makes cranking the engine over more sluggish.
I have swapped to Shell Rotella 20w-40 but stayed with mineral rather than go to synthetic.
I still use what is left of the Yanmar mono grade in the gearbox.
Everyone has their own opinion about oil. Mine is that I would rather use less expensive oil and change it frequently, particularly in a marine environment where the engine is not doing big hours and it is more likely that condensation will build due to the low operating temperatures and short engine cycles typical of sailing boat diesels.
Synthetic oil may have some advantages when the engine is a high performance turbo or you want to push the oil change intervals to the limits, but I see it as overkill in a small normally aspirated engine.
Old 01-13-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried Lucus synthetic oil? This is a copy from Amazon. To me this looks like (4) 1 Gallon jugs. That would be a heck of a deal. Can't confirm though if it is actually 4 gallons. It does meet all ratings required by my Yanmar.

Old 01-13-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road

Another point with oil if you are cruising. Stay with a brand that is readily available.

When dropping the filter, to keep oil out of the bilge, just back the filter off enough to be able to turn it by hand. Then wrap a plastic shopping bag ( hole free!) around the filter before pulling it off.

Last edited by arvicola-amphibius; 01-13-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: I read the fine print
Old 01-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvicola-amphibius View Post
.... I would rather use less expensive oil and change it frequently.....
I feel the same. I am going to half the manufacturers recommended hrs interval or every 3mos going forward, whichever comes first. Good non-synthetic should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.