SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Changing Oil - an easier way? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95568-changing-oil-easier-way.html)

tspooner 01-09-2013 09:01 AM

Changing Oil - an easier way?

As I wait for brighter and warmer days I've begun pre-season maintenance and upgrades to my boat. My Yanmar 2GM sits very low in her bilge and although I'm sure there is a drain plug in the oil pan there is no way to locate a container under the pan to contain the drained oil. The boat came with a manual vacuum pump where you insert a tiny (about 3/16") hose through the dipstick hole and stroke for an eternity. I'm never satisfied that I got all the old oil out as the drain hose is quite stiff with a perpetual curl in it and I doubt that the end of it ever really touches the bottom of the pan. Other than draining the oil directly into the bilge and pumping it from there does anyone have any suggestions for a more efficient and cleaner method to extract the used oil. There's gotta be a better way!:confused:

T37Chef 01-09-2013 09:10 AM

Re: Changing Oil - an easier way?

What vacuum pump are you using, the one by Moeller is pretty awesome. Often, due to the angle of the engine and where the drain plug is located you still wouldn't get all the used oil out. Your engine should sit on a pan, I suppose you could drain it into that then suck it up with your vacuum pump but no way would anyone advocate you drain it into the bilge.

PorFin 01-09-2013 09:13 AM

This gets rave reviews from several SN members:

http://www.moellermarine.com/sites/m...-extractor.jpg

Moeller Marine Online - Fluid Extractors

BubbleheadMd 01-09-2013 09:15 AM

I have the West Marine version of the Moeller and I love it.

You only pump a few times at the beginning, to build the vacuum. Either way, you should run the engine for a few minutes to warm the oil. If you're pumping cold oil, it will take an eternity because it's very viscous.

MarkofSeaLife 01-09-2013 09:18 AM

I have the same problem and can't afford the $97 Westmarine one pictured above.

But this week on the dreaded oil change I decided to run the engine for thirty minutes instead of fifteen I normally do to warm the oild.

After thrity minutes the oil is quite hot and much easier to pump than the usual warm.

But the $97 looks good... Lol

tspooner 01-09-2013 09:44 AM

Cold v.s. Warm Oil! I should have thought of that. The pump I have simply says "Vacu Pump" on it so I suppose that would be the trade name as well. It looks to be about 3 Imp. gallons and more of a gas can type shape. I'll warm up the engine this time and give it another try otherwise the wife's purse will become $97 lighter next time she's in the shower!
Thanks - I appreciate the replies.

dreuge 01-09-2013 09:54 AM

I couple years ago I purchased a LiquiVac Oil Change System from my local Lowes. It costs about $20 and works amazingly well. I added a small diameter extender clear hose whose OD fit tightly in the ID of the units hose to extract oil from the dipstick port. Super easy, quick, and exactly no mess. I tried standard hand pumps, and I had an electric pump system mounted in my engine well prior but both did not work as well.

Here is a link to Lowes
Shop LiquiVac Oil Change System at Lowes.com

Sabreman 01-09-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

the one by Moeller is pretty awesome.
Love it. Warming the oil is mandatory for any change, car or boat. With a pump t makes all the difference. BTW, 10 minutes running the engine is all that's necessary, depending on the ambient temperature. I do my changes in July or August, so it's pretty warm already :(

Sal Paradise 01-09-2013 10:50 AM

I just purchased and used the $9 oil change system from Harbor Freight Tools. Its a little hand pump with hoses, no tank. has the tiny hose to put down the dipstick. After warming the oil, it worked quite well. YMMV.

bristol299bob 01-09-2013 11:34 AM

I've got one similar to the moeller from Griot's and love it. 5 or ten pumps and you have enough vacuum to drain the oil. The first oil change you will be glad you spent the money. Mine gets a lot of use. On the boat I use it for engine oil and transmission fluid changes. On land I use it for auto transmission fluid, power steering fluid changes etc. I've had the thing for 20 yrs now.