Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013

MSO sailor is on a distinguished road
Yanmar in a 25'Tall rig

I'm getting a 1978 25' O'day tall rig & it has a yanmar 1GM diesel in it. Over all the boat is in great shape & just needs a normal good cleaning. The one thing that concerns me is the engine.It doesn't have many hours on it but it hasn't been started in about 7 yrs!! I'm suppose to go over tomorrow & try & start it.
Is there anything special i should look for? I'm a experienced mechanic but not familar with this engine at all.It seems simple but tough to work on.Its in a bad spot.
Next question if its shot is there any other engine i can replace it with? I noticed that it seems that if it was removed from the gear box a adapter plate can be made with a adapter coupler to run any small air cooled type engine with a vertical shaft.( providing ventilation of course.)
Does anyone know of anyone who has done this? all my "engineering/ mechanical" skills has been in auto & industrial equipment. But i know what i'm doing!!lol
Thanks for any input anyone can give
MSO
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar in a 25'Tall rig

Should have a decompression lever on top of motor, after you change
Your fuel and oil filter and replace
Fuel with fresh diesel you will be able
To turn by hand before starting.
If does not start at first close yourraw water
Intake as continuous cranking can
Flood cylinder with water.
Sorry using phone.
Old 01-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

A Yanmar 1GM may be one of the simplest, most efficient small engines on the planet.
here's what i would do:
1. beg or borrow a manual, or service manual if you can get it.
1a. Pull the dipstick and the oil fill cap. Look for signs of moisture. if there is no caramel or rust on the dipstick or cap, you might be in luck.
2. Flip up the compression lever.
3. if the boat is in the water, make sure the raw water intake seacock is closed.
4. AFTER ENSURING THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL: if the crank handle is with the boat, use the crank handle to try toturn the engine over. If no crank handle, use a 1/2" ratchet and the appropriate size socket (it's gonna be metric). It should turn over without much effort. If it doesn't turn over easily with the decomp lever flipped, STOP. Don't simply grab a bigger wrench or a breaker bar.
5. Pull off the valve cover ("bonnet" in yanmar speak), and if you're able to turn it over, check and set the valve clearance. if it doesn't turn over, unbolt the head.
6. if you have to pull the head to see why it won't turn, take off the alternator, the exhaust elbow, unbolt the fuel hardlines. Now you can pull off the head. of course, you already know this because you followed step1. While you're at it, eliminate the possibility of a stuck starter by pulling the starter assembly. now the motor has no excuse other than sheer oxidatious obstinance not to turn circles like a jack russell in a butcher shop.
7. THIS is the moment of truth. look down the bore, look at the top of the piston, look at the valves, look at the combustion chamber. Carbon is to be expected, rust is not.
8. Fill the cylinder with kroil, brake fluid, or, PB Blaster.
9. Walk away. Let the lubricants do their work, at least overnight.
10. With the cylinder head off, try to turn the engine over. (It is still in neutral, right? if the boat is on the hard, you turned the prop and the shaft turned easily, right? if the boat is in the water you got behind the negine and turned the shaft, right?)
12. Acquire a 2-5 lb. sledge and a chunk of hardwood to use as a drift, and place your hardwood on the piston and smartly strike with your sledge. repeatedly.

Good luck.

oh, and that part about installing an air-cooled engine? I am an old-school VW guy. i know aircooleds, I love aircooleds, and i wouldn't even think of pulling a yanmar and installing an aircooled motor in an enclosed engine room in a small cabin. See all the professional lawntractor pilots wearing earmuffs when mowing?
Imagine that sound contained in a fiberglass hull. For hours on end. and don't even get me started on the heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

I have a Yanmar 1GM circa 1981. I don't have much of a mechanical background, but I can tell you that this engine has worked flawlessly for us. It sat on the hard for 3 or 4 years before I bought the boat last summer, although, the prior owner had properly winterized it and prepared it for storage.

I received the original service manual with mine, but I've seen it online as well. This looks to be it here: Boatinfo - Yanmar Service Manual for 1GM, 2GM, 3GM, 3HM

Hopefully you get the engine going because it's a good one.
Old 01-10-2013

inprin is on a distinguished road

I have an early 80's 1GM10 that worked OK when I bought the boat. After 10 years on the hard with an on and off restoration I wasn't sure it would run again. Rewired, cleaned, oiled, changed fuel filters,oil, impellers, etc. Bled the lines and she started after 2-3 attempts.

One note, and I believe it is in the manual, set the throttle to 2/3rds when starting (in neutral of course) then back off when running. Solid, dependable engine.
Old 01-15-2013

MSO sailor is on a distinguished road

i went down to the boat yard were i'm getting the boat, hook up a battery, lifted the compression up & cranked it over, the weatherizing fluid shot out the back, then i cranked it alittle & the engine started right up!! I was so happy, I only let it run for a few minutes, it had a knock in it, but that went away in a few seconds( I also idled it up a little).great little engine!.i will replace the water pumps & the belt & keep the belt on it as a spare.!1 See ya all on Naraganett Bay!
Old 01-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Good stuff!.. the adventure begins....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-15-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSO sailor View Post
i went down to the boat yard were i'm getting the boat, hook up a battery, lifted the compression up & cranked it over, the weatherizing fluid shot out the back, then i cranked it alittle & the engine started right up!!

What I hoped...These are great little engines!
Before changing your impeller you might want flush
motor with Rydlyme, and change out engine zincs.
Hugo

Last edited by Faster; 01-15-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 01-21-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

MSO,
Great little boat and a good engine to boot. 1 Year ago I got a very good deal or a C&C 30 MK1 with a Yanmar 2gm13. I thought it was going to be real bad. It had been sitting in the Beaufort River "saltwater" for 4 1/2 years untended. I was so sup-prized at what little it took to get this baby back up and running. Oil and filter change. New Transmission oil and a spark. I was so excited it was a great day. Here is a video of that day. Keep in mind 4 1/2 years sitting.
Good luck with yours.
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E_vlVYES40
Old 01-22-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I bought a YSM8 brand new. When it arrived on its pallet I was examining it. I released the compression release and rotated it with the crank a few times just to feel how freely it turned over. When I released the compression release it fired up, just on the assembly lube.

Amazing little thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 01-22-2013 at 10:59 PM.