SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95589-catalina-island-january-2013-false-start.html)

tomperanteau 01-09-2013 10:31 PM

Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start
 
First in the series...


mikel1 01-09-2013 10:50 PM

Re: Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start
 
That was great! I'm freezing in the east now (New Hampshire) but I lived aboard for a while at Newmarks in Wilmington . . . used to go to the Chowder Barge regularly . . .I miss the car carriers and all, I'd wake up in the morning and see an "office building" was moved in over night . . .

dabnis 01-10-2013 10:45 AM

Re: Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start
 
Great videos, keep them coming!! Good call, there is always another day.

Paul T

justified 01-10-2013 12:36 PM

Re: Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start
 
Captain Tom and First mate

Happy New Year. Love watching your videos always informative and humorous. We don't get to do much this time of year in the NE unless your are a Frost biter. So we live vicariously thru folks like you.
Just one comment that I noticed I didn't hear the ch 13 bridge to bridge call to the car carrier to state your intentions while passing. Just curious?

Peter

NewportNewbie 01-10-2013 01:01 PM

Re: Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start
 
Nice! I'm planning on over to Catalina on Tuesday. Hoping the weather cooperates!

chef2sail 01-10-2013 01:14 PM

Re: Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start
 
Ok Tom...waiting patiently for your next installment...We anchored inn Emerald Cove last year.

Dave

tomperanteau 01-10-2013 06:16 PM

Re: Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justified (Post 973498)
Captain Tom and First mate

Happy New Year. Love watching your videos always informative and humorous. We don't get to do much this time of year in the NE unless your are a Frost biter. So we live vicariously thru folks like you.
Just one comment that I noticed I didn't hear the ch 13 bridge to bridge call to the car carrier to state your intentions while passing. Just curious?

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the comment.

As far as I know that is not something that is done/customary in the San Pedro port. I've not seen it done on other boats, or on the boat I crewed on, while passing. We always monitor channel 16 and sail outside the shipping lane, if possible. It has never been an issue.

tomperanteau 01-10-2013 06:18 PM

Re: Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikel1 (Post 973302)
That was great! I'm freezing in the east now (New Hampshire) but I lived aboard for a while at Newmarks in Wilmington . . . used to go to the Chowder Barge regularly . . .I miss the car carriers and all, I'd wake up in the morning and see an "office building" was moved in over night . . .

Thanks!

Chowder Barge has become one of our favorites. It's nice to sail/motor around and tie up for dinner.

tomperanteau 01-10-2013 06:20 PM

Re: Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dabnis (Post 973461)
Great videos, keep them coming!! Good call, there is always another day.

Paul T

True... We have not had to reef on this boat before, so we decided it best not to crawl around on the deck in 8-10 foot seas at night.

There are about five more videos in this series that I have uploaded. They're all on Youtube. I didn't want to waste a bunch of posts here on just our stuff.

tomperanteau 01-10-2013 06:21 PM

Re: Catalina Island January 2013 - False Start
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewportNewbie (Post 973515)
Nice! I'm planning on over to Catalina on Tuesday. Hoping the weather cooperates!

Where are you headed? We managed to drop anchor in a few of the coves while there. Caught a lobster, too! That's in one of the later videos in this series.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012