SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Stove heat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95596-stove-heat.html)

AirborneSF 01-10-2013 08:33 AM

Stove heat?

I posted this on the CnC site, but have not heard anything from them so I'm going to do it here! On "Solace",(26ft CnC), my stove is kinda under the 'bridge deck', and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem with heat on the underside,(cabin) of this? I hope I stated that right. It looks kinda 'tight', and I really don't want to mess up the liner over the stove. Anyone? Thanks, Dave.

miatapaul 01-10-2013 11:40 AM

Re: Stove heat?

Perhaps if you can post a picture? I know some of the smaller trailer sailors have portable burners, and I think they are really meant to be used up in the cockpit or perhaps on the dinette table? How much clearance is there? It may be meant for only heating things like a kettle of water and perhaps a can of soup? I know at the house I am temperarly renting has a microwave above the stove and the whole front has warped and twisted due to being mounted too close to the stove, but it also has "super burners" and they really put out a lot of heat.

sidney777 01-10-2013 01:15 PM

Many saiboats in that size range have the built in alcohol stove in that position (designed that way). I am guessing the stove is "built" in and not camp stove sitting on something. I have wondered about the same problem , but I have not had a problem. Don't let it burn too long -without- a pan on it so the flames are not blocked from the ceiling. But, my disclaimer about recommendations is; that I don't have full info or pictures. Old "pressurized" alcohol stoves can flair up badly.

AirborneSF 01-11-2013 07:47 AM

Yes it is/was built in, but I removed it. W-M has a single burner unit, but the cost is, I think, a little steep. I guess I could only use the front burner, for cooking and the rear for warming stuff? You answered my question/fear about open flame on the cabin top, as it does look close. CnC built it this way, and I guess they know what they were doing, I just wonder if anyone else had had a problem with 'melting' the underside of 'bridge deck/ top of cabin'. I'll bet there are a million boats out there with the stove mounted this way, how many have melted/scorched the cabin top. Thanks for your replys.

chucklesR 01-11-2013 10:07 AM

It's low, but it's designed that way. It should be fine for the original purpose, using a stove with the BTU output as designed. Don't upsize it.

Here's a picture (don't know how long the link will be good).

http://photos.mostsailboats.org/1977-C&C-26_4783_2.jpg

halsask 02-14-2013 01:11 PM

Re: Galley Cook Replacement

The oven temperature control on my 30 year old stove has given up and no replacements parts are available. I can get a new stove for RV use at half the price of one from a Marine supplier. Any reason why I should not consider this as a viable option ? ?

mad_machine 02-14-2013 01:16 PM

if you are truely worried.. a sheet of aluminum secured with standoffs, screwed/bolted/glued to the underside of the bridgedeck should provide plenty of protection of the glass from your stove's heat

SloopJonB 02-14-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 990139)
if you are truely worried.. a sheet of aluminum secured with standoffs, screwed/bolted/glued to the underside of the bridgedeck should provide plenty of protection of the glass from your stove's heat

Stainless is even better - looking at least. :)

mad_machine 02-14-2013 03:29 PM

True, and Stainless will not corrode in a Salt enviroment. Either way, both are availible for cheap at any hardware store

Omatako 02-14-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 990180)
Stainless is even better - looking at least. :)

If it gets hot, stainless is likely to buckle . The heat may not be that great in this case but worth consideration.