Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mad_machine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road
Stove heat?

I posted this on the CnC site, but have not heard anything from them so I'm going to do it here! On "Solace",(26ft CnC), my stove is kinda under the 'bridge deck', and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem with heat on the underside,(cabin) of this? I hope I stated that right. It looks kinda 'tight', and I really don't want to mess up the liner over the stove. Anyone? Thanks, Dave.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Stove heat?

Perhaps if you can post a picture? I know some of the smaller trailer sailors have portable burners, and I think they are really meant to be used up in the cockpit or perhaps on the dinette table? How much clearance is there? It may be meant for only heating things like a kettle of water and perhaps a can of soup? I know at the house I am temperarly renting has a microwave above the stove and the whole front has warped and twisted due to being mounted too close to the stove, but it also has "super burners" and they really put out a lot of heat.
Old 01-10-2013

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

Many saiboats in that size range have the built in alcohol stove in that position (designed that way). I am guessing the stove is "built" in and not camp stove sitting on something. I have wondered about the same problem , but I have not had a problem. Don't let it burn too long -without- a pan on it so the flames are not blocked from the ceiling. But, my disclaimer about recommendations is; that I don't have full info or pictures. Old "pressurized" alcohol stoves can flair up badly.
Old 01-11-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road

Yes it is/was built in, but I removed it. W-M has a single burner unit, but the cost is, I think, a little steep. I guess I could only use the front burner, for cooking and the rear for warming stuff? You answered my question/fear about open flame on the cabin top, as it does look close. CnC built it this way, and I guess they know what they were doing, I just wonder if anyone else had had a problem with 'melting' the underside of 'bridge deck/ top of cabin'. I'll bet there are a million boats out there with the stove mounted this way, how many have melted/scorched the cabin top. Thanks for your replys.
Old 01-11-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

It's low, but it's designed that way. It should be fine for the original purpose, using a stove with the BTU output as designed. Don't upsize it.

Here's a picture (don't know how long the link will be good).

Last edited by chucklesR; 01-11-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-14-2013
halsask

halsask is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to halsask Send a message via MSN to halsask Send a message via Yahoo to halsask
Re: Galley Cook Replacement

The oven temperature control on my 30 year old stove has given up and no replacements parts are available. I can get a new stove for RV use at half the price of one from a Marine supplier. Any reason why I should not consider this as a viable option ? ?
Old 02-14-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

if you are truely worried.. a sheet of aluminum secured with standoffs, screwed/bolted/glued to the underside of the bridgedeck should provide plenty of protection of the glass from your stove's heat
SloopJonB likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 02-14-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
if you are truely worried.. a sheet of aluminum secured with standoffs, screwed/bolted/glued to the underside of the bridgedeck should provide plenty of protection of the glass from your stove's heat
Stainless is even better - looking at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-14-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

True, and Stainless will not corrode in a Salt enviroment. Either way, both are availible for cheap at any hardware store

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 02-14-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Stainless is even better - looking at least.
If it gets hot, stainless is likely to buckle . The heat may not be that great in this case but worth consideration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke