SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   2013 Border Run...anyone doing it? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95603-2013-border-run-anyone-doing.html)

NewportNewbie 01-10-2013 01:56 PM

2013 Border Run...anyone doing it?

Looks like a pretty low key (mostly for fun?) race from Newport Beach to San Diego. I am seriously considering it. Id do tho cruising class I think, but maybe the PHRF class since my boat is rated pretty good so I am told by a lot of local racers. There are the Spin and no Spin classes, and I'm thinking of the no Spin class since I have never used a Spinnaker, although maybe this is a good chance to learn! The race is in April, so I have a few months to learn, enough time to learn to competently (and safely) use a spinnaker?

rbrasi 01-10-2013 04:32 PM

Are you referring to the Newport to Ensenada race? I'm looking to crew on that.

NewportNewbie 01-10-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrasi (Post 973583)
Are you referring to the Newport to Ensenada race? I'm looking to crew on that.

No it's just to San Diego. It's 2 weeks before Newport to Ensenada. To some maybe it's a good trial run.

www.theborderrun.org

SchockT 01-10-2013 06:56 PM

Re: 2013 Border Run...anyone doing it?

You should recruit some experienced crew to help you sort out the spinnaker. You will find that your boat will be quite "powered ""up" with the chute. If you wind up running deep with it in any real breeze you will find it to be a bit of a handful. Having said that, your boat should be pretty quick under spinnaker.

NewportNewbie 01-10-2013 07:55 PM

Thx...previous owner is in the crew. He owned it four 6 years and has about 30 years sailing experience. Sold it for a Schock 35. Its not ready to go or we would probably be taking that down...maybe the summer run. Its a Symmetrical spin...not sure if thats legal...if not I'll just fly the 155 I have on the boat.

SchockT 01-10-2013 10:25 PM

If you've got the crew for it then definitely fly the chute! It is the perfect opportunity to push your boat and see what she can do. Why wouldn't the spinnaker be legal? If the boat has never been rated for it before you will want to get it measured, and get a PHRF certificate and you should be good to go.

NewportNewbie 01-10-2013 10:41 PM

I have a 1/2 oz spinnaker. My buddy says I will need a 3/4 oz for bigger wind possibilities. So I think I'm going to do cruising class no spin. I have 2 155s and and 125 for the boat so I won't have to get any new sails. In the meantime I'm going to work on my spinnaker gear and maybe in the summer for border run 2 I'll go for spin class. This will be the first race so I wanna get it done get the crew and boat back safe and sound.

Barrosa 01-11-2013 02:05 AM

never been on to it but i am looking for crewing on it it would be a nice adventure for it...