Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013

LeMerovingian is on a distinguished road
Re: Black or off coloured Yachts? Opinions......,

Z,

Did you use a template to achieve this effect? I've seen it before; Jeanneau 57 clickable images

Whoa! http://www.sv-zanshin.com/images/big/qflagging.jpg

You're only missing an aerial live view but this is the nicest Yacht page I've seen in some time. I was looking to create a few of these for the local boys as I am a web designer among other things
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2013

CapnSantiago is on a distinguished road

Hey, it's a nice looking power boat (although it may not be for you)...I can see it covered w/nubile ladies wearing nothing but a thong and some old man in bermuda shorts and a hawaiian shirt (me) ...but seriously, ever had a black car? they look great right after you've washed and polished them up, but the least bit of dirt, dust, fingerprints, light rain and they look nasty (and we all know how hard it is to keep a boat pristine looking)...

White is classic and timeless...but a little color here and there is a nice contrast...and as someone stated earlier there's no better looking sailboat than a classic Hinckley with a dark flag blue hull...for a more modern take the Beneteaus of the late 90's with their signature green are stirking too...
Old 01-12-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

My boat is yellow..original gelcoat..and while I get many compliments on it, I hate the color. When I get around to it, I'm going to change to white. Besides..wherever it has a deep scratch, it appears white under the yellow. I figure all white will show scratches less.
Old 01-12-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMerovingian View Post
Z,

Did you use a template to achieve this effect? I've seen it before; Jeanneau 57 clickable images

Whoa! http://www.sv-zanshin.com/images/big/qflagging.jpg

You're only missing an aerial live view but this is the nicest Yacht page I've seen in some time. I was looking to create a few of these for the local boys as I am a web designer among other things

I didn't use a template, just an image map and some javascript code. The Q-Flaggette is my ex who had come to visit. I just dabble with the Web pages for my boat, but it keeps me busy and out of trouble in bars on many nights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

coloring of boats has only become a big deal since the yachtie had to have white boats. they used to be black. coal tar and other goos used to caulk were black--why use white?? is a most impractical color.
any color is good for boats. why do they HAVE to be ugly white????

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 01-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I used to deliver a Bristol 41.1 years ago that had a Fire-Engine Red hull, a very striking boat... Got favorable compliments wherever we went, and everyone remembered the boat if they'd seen it before...

Unfortunately, and I've heard this from multiple sources, red is probably the most difficult color to maintain against fading, and becoming chalky over time... Something to do with the color spectrum and the way it reacts to UV exposure, it would be a bit less of an issue in Maine than in Florida, but you'd still need to expect higher maintenance keeping it bright, and a shorter interval between re-finishes...
People in the industry have told me that red is the weakest pigment in ALL materials. It certainly is in car paint. Your comment about UV reaction sounds right.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
I seem to remember that blue was considered an unlucky color for a boat. Has anyone else heard this?
I always understood it was green - it makes the boat want to go ashore to where all the other greens are.

As to the black & pewter powerboats - I think it's simply that the owners PT 109 fantasies have gotten out of control.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-12-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

all ships and boats used to be black. now is unlucky?? get real......just use the old tar based caulk and see why boats were once good colors.
and along came fiberglass, and different colors are possible. there is no such thing as an unlucky boat color. just use what you like.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 01-12-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I used to deliver a Bristol 41.1 years ago that had a Fire-Engine Red hull, a very striking boat... Got favorable compliments wherever we went, and everyone remembered the boat if they'd seen it before...

Unfortunately, and I've heard this from multiple sources, red is probably the most difficult color to maintain against fading, and becoming chalky over time... Something to do with the color spectrum and the way it reacts to UV exposure, it would be a bit less of an issue in Maine than in Florida, but you'd still need to expect higher maintenance keeping it bright, and a shorter interval between re-finishes...
Yes, red does oxidize. I am not sure what a "polished" red epoxy surface would become after a couple of years. It wouldn't be a high gloss finish to start with unless I clear coated it to begin with. Having spent years painting yachts I am not obsessed with being able to see my reflection in the surface. I am more concerned about how its appearance takes punishment. If I put a "heavy" coat of red epoxy "primer" over the prepped old gelcoat, fair it and "polish" it, it will be a dull red. A rolled and tipped clear Awlgrip surface would give it a gloss finish. Not sure that matters to me but it I am curious about how it would turn out. A scratch would be red, too, and easy to repair. Perhaps I try it on the dinghy?

I like the idea of a red "Tundra Down". Gray deck?

Down
Old 01-12-2013

LeMerovingian is on a distinguished road