SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Detailed anchorage (not mooring) map-BVI (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95653-detailed-anchorage-not-mooring-map-bvi.html)

hallucination 01-11-2013 07:33 PM

Detailed anchorage (not mooring) map-BVI

It seems to be getting harder and moor(poor attempt at a pun) expensive to grab a ball in the BVI. There are talks on another forum that has mentioned as high as 70 bucks.
Is there a pretty darn accurate map of the BVIs that have anchorages detailed?

I'm looking for something better than an "M" on the map. for instance the northeast side of white bay JVD is all hard flat coral, as you slide back it goes sandy. But then comes the issue of the new balls they planted, plus all the private charter balls.

thanks in advance,

rbt

killarney_sailor 01-12-2013 01:04 AM

Re: Detailed anchorage (not mooring) map-BVI

It is certainly tricky. We tried using one of Don Street's recommendations from the Imray/Iolaire charts (forget the island) to get away from the crowds and the bottom was all small boulders. Perhaps a Yachtsman's anchor might have worked but we don't have one. I the BVI is a victim of its own success.

Zanshin 01-12-2013 05:03 AM

I don't know of a map which shows which anchorages still have anchor space available in the BVI. Quite a bit depends upon draft, a shallow-draft sailboat can still anchor in Trellis Bay while a deeper keeled one cannot. If the winds are steady you can still anchor close in shore at the Bight close to the concrete dock, but if there is a chance of being backwinded then that position is a very bad one. With enough chain I anchor in the middle of the bight, but the water is 50-60 deep there.
One can anchor outside of the mooring ball fields in the North Sound - in good sand at 20 feet in Leverick, off the Sandbox on Prickly Pear in 10-20 feet, off Prickly Pear towards Saba Rock in 10-20 feet all the way along the shore, outside of the mooring field at Saba/BEYC in 40-50 feet.

At Anegada one can anchor off the pier in 7-10 feet in good sand.

Jost has pretty negligible holding at Great Harbour close in, better further out in 30 feet.

Soper's hole is full and I haven't found a place to set anchor there, even further out it is usually quite crowded where I believe there is holding at 20-30 feet.

gts1544 01-12-2013 06:37 AM

hallucination,
I have been sailing the BVI's annually for the last 15 years for a month at a time and have yet to pay over $30 (Bitter End) for a mooring with the vast majority coming in at $25 (some include a free bag of ice and a water fill - Saba Rock). I will grant you that many of the decent anchoring spots are being filled by moorings, but I am afraid that is a sign of their success as a cruising ground for the charter fleets. gts1544

Minnewaska 01-12-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 974329)
.....I the BVI is a victim of its own success.

Absolutely. Note that BVI has only been a mainstream destination for about 30 - 40 years. The explosion of charter boats over maybe the last 20-30ish.

No doubt it will only get more crowded. It's still pretty laid back, but getting more popular every day.

jimjazzdad 01-12-2013 07:14 AM

There is another side to mooring balls: in a dense boat population area like the BVI moorings help to prevent further degradation of the bottom (help protect coral). Taking a mooring when one is available is an environmentally responsible thing to do. That said, I have found places to anchor in the BVI, sometimes with the whole anchorage to myself. Such places can be a bit rolly though...

hallucination 01-12-2013 09:24 AM

Here is the article referenced:
bvinews.com/bvi/sea-bed-licences-moorings-fees-to-be-increased-in-april/

30 bucks is pretty much the norm now, leverick/SABA is still BY FAR the most generous with the ICE/water being free...for now. Although it does have some good holding in quite a few places.

I'm really surprised that most of the places I used to anchor, now have balls. I suspect that the people that do know of good places are unlikely to share the secrets...grin....

Minnewaska 01-12-2013 10:01 AM

There are plenty of places to anchor in BVI. More than plenty. However, they're not at the popular beaches or restaurants or towns and many could be more exposed. If you want to be alone, no issue.

hallucination 01-12-2013 10:12 AM

Yes, that is precisely what I'm looking for!
Sometimes you just want to be alone. Sailweek, the PR Navy or the floatilla blasting DISCO is sometimes/(all the times) too much for me.

I have never had a chart plotter before. Does Don Street's IMRAY charts manage to help with this? if there is a book/chart I'm all into buying it.

TIA, Robert

Minnewaska 01-12-2013 10:19 AM

Solitude is good. I've been alone down there many times. However, the popular anchorages are pretty quiet and tame, with a very rare exception. I mean, don't grab a ball next to Willy Ts.