SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   charts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95654-charts.html)

Arjen 01-11-2013 08:26 PM

charts

Is there any place where i can download charts that i can print ? I know i can order them and have them send to me, but it sounds a bit rediculous to me to have a piece of printed paper sent over half the world in this age where we can send such info in microseconds and at no cost.....

I did find Chart Downloader for NOAA RNC&#174 , but i have no idea how to open these files and thus dont even know if they are what i need.

PS, i dont need them to be printed on the exact scale and stuff like that and i dont need 1 A0 size printout or whatever. Several A3 size prints will do. A4 if i cant find anyone with an A3 printer even. No worries about such details. If the information is there on paper, it will work out for me.

I would apreciate it if anyone could direct me to a site that has what i am looking for or explain me how to open and print the files i linked. If not, maybe someone could help me with charts for;
-south coast of cuba
-dominican republic/haiti
-western carribean, coast of colombia up to mexico.

If anyone has these in any kind of picture format that i could print it would be nice, or if you have paper ones that you could send to me (in mexico) maybe we could agree on a price for that. Of course just part of these areas is interesting for me already. Cuba has priority right now, after that, going for dominican, then columbia and back up from there.

Thank you

swellbound 01-11-2013 08:46 PM

Re: charts

Try "openseamap.org";)

Arjen 01-11-2013 08:59 PM

can you actually get any info on those maps or can they only show bleu where there is water just like google earth can do for me ?
when i select ĘseezeichenĘ, i get only pink squares. I believe seezeichen means longitude and latitude lines?

swellbound 01-11-2013 09:19 PM

This may be better::cool:

Raster Navigational Charts: NOAA RNCs

Arjen 01-12-2013 11:59 AM

yes, thats the one i linked in my post, i just dont know how to open the bsb files :)

jackdale 01-12-2013 12:17 PM

Use OpenCPN to view the files.

OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

It is free.

dabnis 01-12-2013 12:19 PM

Here is one for our areas:

Pacific Coast NOAA Nautical Charts

You might be able to link backwards and find what you are looking for?

Paul T

hallucination 01-12-2013 04:40 PM

If you have an IOS device (im sure there are android alternatives) there are several free/next to free ways of loading noaa/imray maps. I have been using Pocket NAV, there are others. I have not had the chance to use it in the BVI, but it is very helpful in my home cruising area of the Chesapeake.