SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   LED's Integrated Into Boats Popular? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95661-leds-integrated-into-boats-popular.html)

LeMerovingian 01-12-2013 01:27 AM

LED's Integrated Into Boats Popular?

Hello,

I am curious if the aftermarket LED wave has cooled off or not? What's your opinion on them? Useful? Extravagant? I feel when implicated into the interior like in newer models they are a great improvement exterior to much but still has it's place........,

http://www.underwaterlights.com/asse...news/ilona.jpg

arvicola-amphibius 01-12-2013 03:00 AM

Re: LED's Integrated Into Boats Popular?

If you sail or anchor out away from a shore power source they are the greatest invention since sliced bread. I hate running the engine any more than necessary. My two 80 watt solar panels will run the fridge 24/7 but it would be asking a bit much for them to run all the lights as well.
I converted my navigation and anchor lights. Next the spreader lights.
Eventually I will get round to the interior, but as these are not so essential, not a priority.

H and E 01-12-2013 07:13 AM

I did just the opposite. I have changed all the interior to LEDs now time to work on the nav lights. The inside was much easier and less expensive to do quickly. Also, Being on an inland lake, I rarely stay out all night.

CarbonSink62 01-12-2013 08:17 AM

I'm doing extensive interior lighting mods this spring; 1 goose neck LED chart light (red/white) at the fwd end of each settee; 1 16W fluorescent (white) over the table; 1 LED rail light (white) over the galley. While I have all the tools out, I'll find a red/white LED for the head.

LED & fluorescent use about 1/10 the power of incandescent. When I'm done there will be only 2 original non-LED lights in the cabin. I'll probably just swap the bulbs in those, no reason to replace the fixtures.

It would be very sweet to have the underwater LED lights on either side of the swim ladder; maybe next year.

Ken

LeMerovingian 01-12-2013 08:38 AM

I appreciate the replies lads, may I ask if you purchased the equipment online? If so where shoot me a pm.

jimrafford 01-12-2013 09:40 AM

We are always anchored out weekends and for 3 weeks on summer cruise. I have converted all my lighting to led. I did it on our previous cs when resources and brightness were limited. The difference in battery consumption is huge. Every fixture will drop from 1 amp to less than .1 amp. An incandesent anchor light burning all night uses more AH's than the fridge. We don't think twice about turning on whatever lighting we need as long as we need it.
I hate having to run the engine at anchor.
I purchased mine from defender and dr led.
JIm

nimble1 01-13-2013 11:41 AM

I have converted most of the interior lights on my boat to LEDs. Mostly from two different companys and love them. Great light and less heat and power consumption.Just installed some from this company and seem great..fast shipping too.

Marinebeam Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures

And strip lighting from this company.

Flexible Boat & Marine LED Strips - Low Energy Use & Bright Glow!

Rhapsody-NS27 01-13-2013 12:56 PM

I bought my boat last April and saw I had 12V halogens. They heated up quick. I wasn't planning on it at first but I did switch the interior lighting on my boat to LED. They are nice and bright, use less power and I can keep them on and they won't heat up like the halogen bulbs. So long as the exterior lights work, I'll leave them alone for now and may replace them to LED during a future refit.

They may be expensive but I think it's worth it to keep from draining the batteries too much.

JimMcGee 01-13-2013 04:50 PM

The stock factory fixtures on my boat were cheap plastic and coated brass that had discolored. I've upgraded all my fixtures over the past few years and used warm white LEDs in all the new fixtures.

I started using bulbs from MastLight (mastlight.com), but started using Imtra when I got a good deal on bulbs at the Annapolis show (imtra.com). Some folks on this site and others have reported problems with Dr LED products.

I've also added a lot more light to the boat than she had originally so I can have soft lighting or have the salon and galley as bright as my living room and kitchen at home.

I'm dropping the mast before launch in the spring and will replace the nav lights then.

Obviously I'm a fan of LEDs.

arf145 01-13-2013 05:35 PM

Big fan of LEDs. I only have room for a 2-battery house bank, so it pays to save amps. I replaced my anchor light with a completely new LED fixture (Hella) and most of my interior bulbs with Marine Beam bulbs. Very happy with all of this.