Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Boats for sale - ads vs reality

Hey,

My boat is spending the winter in the water this year. I went down to the marine to check on my boat today and saw a boat on the dock that wasn't there before. See the pictures of it. I can't believe the amount of growth on the bottom.

I was a little curious about the boat, so I did a little looking around and found that it's for sale:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200.../United-States

There is quite a bit of difference between the pictures of the boat in the ad and the boat on the doc.

I really hope no one travels far to see the boat and expects it to look like the boat in the ads!

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Boats for sale - ads vs reality-img_0446%5B1%5D.jpg   Boats for sale - ads vs reality-img_0447%5B1%5D.jpg   Boats for sale - ads vs reality-img_0448%5B1%5D.jpg   Boats for sale - ads vs reality-img_0450%5B1%5D.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 01-13-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Boats for sale - ads vs reality

chances are the broker, being in Rochester, has never seen the boat, and has listed it from the owner provided information and pictures...

I wish I could have all the money back that I have spent on trips to see not only boats, but cars and motorcycles, and found their actual condition as you have found this one.

Prospects may ask more questions after a few of these....like, "have you actually seen the boat, if so, how would you describe it, and can I get your name, please"..
Old 01-13-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

I can't really tell a lot from your photo's, but it seems there is nothing that a power washing wouldn't take care of. I don't really see anything in the photo's that would be clear deal killer.

If that brown stuff on the deck is damage and not just dirt I get your point but otherwise don't really see a big issue. Its winter so, keeping a boat spotless gets a bit problematic.
Old 01-13-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Yeah it looks like someone with muddy boots walked around the foredeck. That looks to me like a boat that has been forgotten for the winter. The fact that the boat needs to be hauled out and bottom painted is not a deal breaker, nor is a bit of dirt.

I am constantly amazed at the poor quality photos that you often see brokers come up with. Clutter in the boat, gear and sails jammed into the v-berth and shot on a camera phone. At least this broker has used decent photos of the actual boat, and not "sistership" photos. On the other hand I don't see the point in posting photos of the sails when the boat doesn't come with any!

That boat could be a good deal for somebody if all it needs is clean up, new instruments and new sails.
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 01-13-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The ad reads worse than the boat looks, imo.
No sails???
Jgbrown likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
The ad reads worse than the boat looks, imo.
No sails???
That could be a good thing! It could reduce the number of prospective buyers, making the seller more likely to negotiate. If the price is right I would have no problem ordering up a complete new suit of sails. Somebody that was planning on racing the boat would welcome the chance to start with a fresh wardrobe, although it is nice to have some older practice/cruising sails as well.

the fact that the instruments were stolen after Sandy might raise some questions. What else happened to the boat during Sandy?

I would be looking for a price like 80k if I was buying...
Hull#101
Old 01-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I would be looking for a price like 80k if I was buying...
The ask is quite a bit below what these boats are going for here.. that's a good boat (the model, if not his particular example) but to me too it looks like a good cleanup and have a good careful look..

We've logged over 1000 miles on one of these and it's a treat to sail.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-13-2013

Arjen is on a distinguished road

When i was looking to buy my boat last year in florida, my experiences were terrible. Indeed, many brokers are wasting your time to travel for seeing boats that are listed as good condition ready to go and whatnot while they are terrible project boats. I always thought caresalesmen and insurance advisors were the scum of the earth, but that was before i got to deal with boat brokers. I hate brokers
RobGallagher likes this.

Last edited by Arjen; 01-13-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

If you are boat shopping, four words of wisdom that I think may help you along the way:

Get used to it.

No shortage of unscrupulous brokers and boat listings, and some of the ads are still on yachtworld today. I wasted plenty of time and money.

One boat I made what the broker thought was an insulting low offer on is now, a year later, listed at that "slap in the face" price.

And if you think that that deposit you put down is gonna just get handed back to you when the boat fails a survey.... well think again, you may have to get a third party involved if you want your money back. This coming from first hand experience (and this was from one of the "big three" full service marina/brokerages).

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Granted, there are some good guys out there, and I did finally manage to find one of them.

Last edited by RobGallagher; 01-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Thats not bad...you should see some of the stuff I've stomped around down here in SE Florida. A good scrubbing and $100 to a diver and that boat will be good to go!