Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: What would you get?? newer boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Just a tad much teak for a lazy person who does not like to wear shoe. I like my woman with low maintenance. Give me plastic (fiberglass/gel coat), stainless steel, and synthetic wood are perfectly fine. I have been worked with wood/carpentry, engine, engine rebuilt, drive-train, electrical work for all my spare time. Damn, the "Honey Do List" was never ended. I don't like to be slaved by anyone or any toys unless my safety is in questions. I want to sail and go places, not sitting at deck working on varnishing the wood.
Actually, there doesn't appear to be a single square inch of exterior varnish to be done on that boat...

One of the biggest misconceptions among sailors, is the amount of maintenance that teak requires... If left to go silver, the work required to maintain it is quite minimal... Most of the horror stories one sees with teak, are those cases where they've suffered long-term neglect, the boat is unused, etc... But if you're using the boat, and sailing in salt water, keeping the decks a nice silver gray is really dead simple... Here's Rebecca Wittmann's advice, for teak already in good condition:

Quote:

MAINTENANCE…

General, twice a month…

∑ Teak decks. Lemon Joy with salt water. (Lemon Joy in only soap that works with salt water!) If full strength salt water (like Chesapeake Bay or fresh water) not available (you’re not at sea?), use 2 tablespoons per bucket of TSP (Trisodium phosphate- available at hardware stores)-with a dab of bleach-- this bleaches teak and kills mildew. Use doodlebug (long handled, tool with WHITE 3M pad) or other soft nylon pads scrubbing cross grain or use circular motion; or use cellulose sponge; or string mop. (DO NOT USE THE 3M PAD ON FIBERGLASS--ONLY TEAK!) Spot (potato chip/ sun tan lotion type) stains? Use dry cleaner K2R, or oxalic acid solution with minimum scrubbing- let chemicals do the job!
To that, I'd add a routine spritzing from a spray bottle of a 30% solution of bleach/water, usually in the morning with the teak still wet with dew... That's pretty much all I ever do to my exterior teak...

Sure, if I had my pick of 2 identical boats, one without teak decks, I'd go with the latter... But, with that Sweden, other features like the saildrive would be more likely to be a deal breaker, for me...

It would likely all become moot, anyway, if I had the OP's stated budget, and could find a nice shoal draft Sabre 402 for under $200K...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I couldn't agree more.

I would not mind to bite the bullet to buy one if the price is right. It is all business decision, no emotional buy when it comes to the big ticket items.
Buying a sailboat is about as far removed from being a business decision as possible IMHO. If it was purely a business decision, nobody would buy a sailboat
Old 01-14-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Actually, there doesn't appear to be a single square inch of exterior varnish to be done on that boat...

One of the biggest misconceptions among sailors, is the amount of maintenance that teak requires... If left to go silver, the work required to maintain it is quite minimal... Most of the horror stories one sees with teak, are those cases where they've suffered long-term neglect, the boat is unused, etc... But if you're using the boat, and sailing in salt water, keeping the decks a nice silver gray is really dead simple... Here's Rebecca Wittmann's advice, for teak already in good condition:

To that, I'd add a routine spritzing from a spray bottle of a 30% solution of bleach/water, usually in the morning with the teak still wet with dew... That's pretty much all I ever do to my exterior teak...

Sure, if I had my pick of 2 identical boats, one without teak decks, I'd go with the latter... But, with that Sweden, other features like the saildrive would be more likely to be a deal breaker, for me...

It would likely all become moot, anyway, if I had the OP's stated budget, and could find a nice shoal draft Sabre 402 for under $200K...
I think the best thing is probably just plain ole sea water. I guess we never bought into the cl spray because of the potential effects on stainless. Btw, I highly disagree that teak decks, left natural, are little maintenance. Replacing bungs and rebeding between the boards is a serious project, and replacing bungs never ends. At least that's the case on the Tayana 42.

I will say this though: I think teak is the best non-skid, ever. I also think teak decked boats are beautiful... much more so than fiberglass. Up in Washington state or the sound, they are a better choice. Although, they did get a lot of mold/algae in the winter. But teak decks where it is hot (ie Texas, FL, etc), man, you can step off onto those boards and leave a footprint of skin behind. And they hold heat all night long.

Like you, if given the choice on a boat, I would avoid the teak decks. Exception for me personally is if keeping her up in the north primarily... especially where you might be taking a lot of water over the bow. Sea water in my opinion does not effect teak decks, but after a few days on a non skid, the salt seems to crytsalize on fiberglass decks aned they can become a bit more slippery. Just my experiences.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-14-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
I know this is a never ending discussion. I thought i would throw this out there anyway.
If you are given a set of rules to buy a newer sailboat; what would you get? Putting aside all the discussions about old and new. Here's the rules:

1990 or newer, this cuts out all the older designs (for the most part)
$200k or less, cuts out the oysters, swans, southerly's, hinkleys.....
has to be between 40 and 45 feet
must be able to cross a ocean theoretically
post a link or picture (yacht world, sailboat listing....)

I think it would be interesting to see what people would come up with.

Here's my pick; i'd love a southerly, but take this for now.

1993 Beneteau 45 F5 Pinnifrania , Bruce Farr design $119k
(unable to post link to yacht world, not enough posts yet)
If I had to stay exactly in your rules, I would still opt for the same boat I have: Catalina 400... though I would look hard to see if there was a good sabre available. Problem is that it will likely be quite a bit older.

If I could squeeze the rules a tad, I would highly consider a 2002 Beneteau 473. THat boat is awesome and fast.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-14-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Issue is "what is the best boat for me" per say. For how and where I sail, I'm thinking 36-40'. Bene's first series, Jeanneau's Sun fast 35, 37 or 40. C&C 115, 110, X-Yacht, J109, J40 or equals..........Wife would like the catalina 42, but would need to be the DEEP draft of about 7-8', TALL(er) than stock mast by 3-5' and a major redo of the deck gear to be reasonably raceable etc. Do not think that would happen tomorrow real easy. For that matter, most any and all catalina's would have issues.....

Again, it is how one uses a boat, as to which brand and design is BEST for them!

Marty
Old 01-14-2013
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road

2004 Jeanneau SO 49'
Old 01-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Btw, I highly disagree that teak decks, left natural, are little maintenance. Replacing bungs and rebeding between the boards is a serious project, and replacing bungs never ends. At least that's the case on the Tayana 42.
Well, there would be a world of difference in the decks on that Sweden, and a vintage Taiwanese-built Tayana 42...

The decks on the former would not have any bungs, being laid in PM-polymere...
Old 01-15-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

J/102 for me......doesn't matter where we go, let's just go fast.

Edit: forgot the link: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1797&url=
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 01-15-2013

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, there would be a world of difference in the decks on that Sweden, and a vintage Taiwanese-built Tayana 42...

I bought a 1998 boat with teak decks. The first owner's maintenance was limited to scrubbing and maybe a little oxalic acid or teak oil. There are no bungs which means no fasteners through the deck. The only significant work the decks need is to have the bedding brought down in height since it's now standing too proud of the teak. It's not going to be a small job but it's only done once every 15-20 years. We could just sand the whole deck down a bit since the teak is plenty thick for that.

I was deeply opposed to teak decks when we were looking at larger boats built in the 1980s. There are some really scary stories out there about the cost of replacing a teak deck.

Plus it's an excuse to buy more shoes. Sperry makes some very cute sandals
Old 01-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:

I didn't realize they had done away with bungs. I would love to see that manufacturing process and how they bend the wood and set it without attaching the points. How thick is that teak that they can do that? As you know, teak wears. It isn't like this paper thin stuff they are putting on some of the Benes, is it?

Also, do they still caulk between the boards? Replacing a bung is nothing compared to digging out and rebedding between those boards.

However, my post was directed at your generality that teak does not require maintenance. That is not my experience, and I suspect, not yours either. We also haven[t even brought up the cost of replacing it when that time comes. Our price on the TV42 was roughly $17,500, and was a very legthy process. THis also assumed no water intrusion into the cored deck.

Isn't that your experience?

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: