Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013

matthewwhill is on a distinguished road
Whisker pole questions

1. Does one attach the whisker pole to the mast with the retractable pin side up or down? Does it matter?

2. I gather that one can sail by the lee of the headsail with it poled out to windward? How much is advisable - 160 degrees apparent with pole to starboard?

3. If I'm singlehanded sailing wing and wing with pole to starboard and I want to jibe.... can I leave pole there, jibe to port broad reach with pole and boom on leeward (starboard) side? (I know it may be against racing rules and not perfectly elegant, but it would be a lot simpler/safer than getting up on the foredeck and changing it).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Whisker pole questions

1. Poles should hang ON the pins... ie jaw opening up.

2. 160 is pretty wide for 'by the lee'.. the whisker pole won't help the 'close to accidental gybe' aspect of running by the lee, and in fact if you're willing to run by the lee the whisker pole is not as necessary... the jib will stay full more easily on its own. So as far as by the lee angles the whisker pole is not a factor. Wave action, mainsail sheeting and driver's attention are all bigger issues.

3. I suppose you could, but you'll not be getting proper trim on the jib with the pole left on. If it was a short gybe to avoid an obstacle followed by an early gybe back then OK... Also if it's windy and you end up rounding up out of the gybe you might 'stuff' the pole end in the water - a good way to break something.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-13-2013

Thanks faster,

For my second question I meant can I have the boom to port, whisker pole to starboard and then sail at 160 degrees apparent (coming from aft and starboard) - by the lee of the headsail, not the boom/mainsail....

Would I be able to get lift from the leech of the headsail with reverse flow?
Old 01-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwhill View Post
Thanks faster,

For my second question I meant can I have the boom to port, whisker pole to starboard and then sail at 160 degrees apparent (coming from aft and starboard) - by the lee of the headsail, not the boom/mainsail....

Would I be able to get lift from the leech of the headsail with reverse flow?
OK.. terminology confusion.... 'by the lee' means that the apparent wind is coming over the quarter of the same side the BOOM is on. There is no 'by the lee' wrt to the jib. Strictly related to the mainsail position.

Yes, if you're not running DDW and on a very broad reach, then that's why you use the pole on the windward side, to prevent the jib from collapsing so often.

Also if you're running that deep 'lift' isn't really in the equation - you just want drag...(projected area)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-14-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I crossed the Indian and Atlantic Oceans with the Yankee poled to weather and the gene and main to leeward, not quite DDW, maybe 15 to 25 degrees. Balanced the boat amazingly well and it was very comfortable. I did have twin head stays which helped a lot, but I believe the fore and aft head stay roller rigs I see on many cruising boats today would work just as well.
Old 01-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
1. Poles should hang ON the pins... ie jaw opening up.
I don't think it really matters much, but Forespar seems to recommend the opposite...

It does matter, however, if you want to store the pole on the mast, which I think is the way to go on a cruising boat... Unless you're using a piston-style fitting at the mast end, hanging that end of the pole with the pin up will not allow the pole to be brought to a vertical storage position...
Old 01-14-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1. Does one attach the whisker pole to the mast with the retractable pin side up or down? Does it matter?
1. It does not matter with a jib because the sheet will not usually release up out of the jaws as a spinnaker sheet does. A spin pole should always be jaws up.

Quote:
2. I gather that one can sail by the lee of the headsail with it poled out to windward? How much is advisable - 160 degrees apparent with pole to starboard?
2. Yes, but when the apparent wind is abaft the beam, the mainsail directs airflow to the jib, not the other way around, so you should concentrate of keeping the jib full and drawing, not the main. Further, on most masthead rigged boats, in most conditions, the jib will have greater sail area and drive than the main.

Quote:
3. If I'm singlehanded sailing wing and wing with pole to starboard and I want to jibe.... can I leave pole there, jibe to port broad reach with pole and boom on leeward (starboard) side? (I know it may be against racing rules and not perfectly elegant, but it would be a lot simpler/safer than getting up on the foredeck and changing it).

Thanks!
Yes. Here is a video of me doing the exact thing in reverse (pole to port), first wing and wing, then a broad reach with pole in the same position:

Wing and wing:

Then broad reach:

Last edited by jameswilson29; 01-14-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2013

Thanks everyone-

James Wilson: when you say "jaws up" does that mean pin up? ie opening of jaws up? or am I confused

Do you want the spinnaker sheet to fly up and away once you release the pin?
Old 01-14-2013

Also:

It doesn't look like you have a topping lift or a fore-guy? Should I infer that these aren't always necessary?
Old 01-15-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks everyone-

James Wilson: when you say "jaws up" does that mean pin up? ie opening of jaws up? or am I confused

Do you want the spinnaker sheet to fly up and away once you release the pin?
Yes, jaw up, so ideally the line will fly up when the jaw is open...